The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

2014 RAGBRAI

Who is Riding RAGBRAI in 2014?

korean riders

They come from all over the world to ride RAGBRAI, literally!

When the ride started back in 1973, it witnessed mainly riders from Iowa and our border states.  That began to change as the ride grew and gained popularity.  Today, just over a third of all riders call Iowa home.  The participants of RAGBRAI XLII come from each of our nation’s 50 states and Washington, DC.

RAGBRAI XLII will host approximately a hundred riders from 18 foreign countries or US territories this summer.  The foreign countries/US territories are Albania, Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Canada, China, Costa Rica, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Mexico, Netherlands, Puerto Rico, United Arab Emirates and United Kingdom.

Here are some other interesting statistics about who will be riding RAGBRAI:

Top Ten States for RAGBRAI:

Iowa – 37.4%
Illinois – 10.3%
Minnesota – 6.2%
Colorado – 3.9%
Wisconsin – 3.9%
California – 3.5%
Missouri – 3.4%
Nebraska – 3.4%
Texas – 3.1%
Michigan – 1.8%

RAGBRAI riders use a variety of bike types:

Road Bike – 83.9%
Hybrid – 9.7%
Tandem – 2.2%
Mountain Bike – 1.8%
Recumbent – 1.7%
Other – 0.9%
Trike –  0.5%
Tandem-Recumbent – 0.3%

The age breakdown of this year’s participants is as follows:

Under 19           4.5%
75-79                0.7%
Over 80             0.2%

The average age of this year’s RAGBRAI participants is 47.6 years

61.8% of the participants are male and 38.2% are female

22 Comments

Manaspon Pera, May 16, 2014 at 10:18 am

We 3 persons from Thailand have registered to join this ride. And you can add one more country on your list of riders from outside USA.

TJ Juskiewicz, May 16, 2014 at 10:36 am

A big welcome to RAGBRAI to our new friends from Thailand!

Mindy M, May 16, 2014 at 4:04 pm

I am looking to purchase a week long wrist band. I live in the West Des Moines area. Please call at 515-468-0181

Brian, May 16, 2014 at 8:57 pm

I’ll be joining the ride as a registered rider for the second year in a row via Guatemala.

Brian, May 16, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Jan Baros, May 16, 2014 at 9:22 pm

I am looking forward to be part of this ride as a registered rider from Czech Republic 🙂

David, May 17, 2014 at 8:10 am

Okay, I am from New Mexico, and although it is not a foreign country, some people seem to think it one!!

Brenda, May 17, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I live in one of the pass through towns, we are very excited about meeting many of you, and hope you will enjoy our small community …

Sharmin, May 17, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Any one coming from Tucson area who wants to do a long ride the weekend before?

Looking forward to the ride!

Sharmin, May 17, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Any one coming from Tucson area who wants to do a long ride the weekend before?

Looking forward to the ride!

Jeff, May 17, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Coming from Tokyo. This is my second RAGBRAI as I rode in XL two years ago. Our cycling club in Tokyo typically has a few members in RAGBRAI most years. Looking forward to doing the northern route as it’s a part of Iowa I don’t know. My mother grew up in southern Iowa, Keokuk County.

Glenn, May 19, 2014 at 4:14 am

I’ll be joining Ragbrai from Australia for the first time

GetAClueBlue, May 22, 2014 at 7:01 am

I’m from near Houston, Texas. This is my third RAGBRAI. Something for everyone on this ride. Great people and scenery during the day while riding and a party each night. You folks know how to have fun. Thanks for having us.

Terry Brooks, May 22, 2014 at 7:03 am
Message to the world from Thailand, May 23, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Hey there my children representative! I must claim that this post is awesome, great composed and may include somewhere around many substantial infos. I’m going to professional further threads like that .

Doug Merfeld, May 31, 2014 at 3:38 pm
Riders from Nepal, Jun 4, 2014 at 1:27 pm

A couple of riders from Nepal as well.

Mickey Mac, Jun 11, 2014 at 3:54 am

Third Ragbrai in a row from Chengdu, China!

Can’t wait for blue skies and fresh air!

Tom Baker, Jul 12, 2014 at 5:12 pm

The Dorkmobile from 2010 will make a curtain call Friday 7-25, Waverly to Independence. Look for us on the road (cjhances are good you’ll pass us at least once!). The Dorkmobile will b e on display all day Thursday in front of the Bremer County Historical Society Museum, 402 W. Bremer Avenue in Waverly. Stop for a Dorkmobile photo op, then check out the museum at no charge (though a good-will donation will be appreciated). Worth a stop.

owen, Jul 19, 2014 at 10:28 am

our son jeff moore is ridding int the ragbrai. jeff have good ride and a safe one. jeff is from reedman mass.
love mom &dad

Ben, Jul 23, 2014 at 1:31 pm

It would be interesting to see rider stats like race, sex, profession, income level, etc. It seems that RAGBRAI consists of 98% caucasion riders, mostly men, riding expensive bikes. I’ve done RAGBRAI more than 10 times. I have also ridden Bike the Drive in Chicago over the same time period. The difference in diversity (in both the people and the bikesthey ride) is striking. Bikers come in all shapes, sizes, ethnicities and income levels. The thing that unites us all is that we are on wheels enjoying the great outdoors. I wish that RAGBRAI would attract a more diverse group of riders. Then it could truly claim to be the Great Americal Bike Ride.

Leigh Zeitz, Jul 27, 2014 at 10:33 am

I would be interested to know which professions are represented. I would guess that there are a great number from the medical profession and from education.
Do you collect those statistics?

Leigh Z-Bird