First-Time Support Vehicle Drivers
- 2 May, 2009
For information on buses, please visit the Department of Transportation.
• Be sure to attend the RAGBRAI support vehicle drivers meeting at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, July 18, 2009 at the Mid-America Center Arena in Council Bluffs.
• Participating in RAGBRAI as a support vehicle driver could be addictive. (You may catch the RAGBRAI bug like everyone else.)
• Stay off the bicycle route. Support vehicles will have a different route to the next overnight town.
• Bring an Iowa state road map along. It can be very helpful to supplement the support vehicle map the Register provides and will assist you in determining on which roads you should be driving.
• Make sure you check in with the Information Center at every overnight town. This helps your group find out where you’re camping, and also gives the In Please be courteous. You are a guest in the community and should act like one. Turn your generators off when they’re not needed. It is hard to enjoy the great outdoors with the fumes and noise of multiple generators.
• Be patient. There will be lines everywhere you go, even when you’re driving.
• Be careful. When driving a large panel truck or pulling a trailer, be especially aware of what or who is behind or beside your vehicle. Overhead clearance is critical. Remember, you may have a bike rack on top of your vehicle that could hit tree branches or signs.
• Share. You are sharing camping sites with more than 10,000 bikers. Give everyone his/her space.
• Be neat. Encourage your group to pick up after themselves. Have garbage bags on hand for trash. Before you leave in the morning, walk your area. You’ll find the misplaced billfold, watch, sunglasses and bike computer. Your group will appreciate your efforts.
• Always buckle up and don’t drink alcoholic beverages if you’re going to be driving.
• Make sure you’re getting plenty of rest the night before driving so you stay sharp. Drowsiness can lead to becoming distracted and inattentive.
• Have a safe and fun trip!
2 weeks ago
John Karras, a former Des Moines Register features writer and co-founder of RAGBRAI, the annual bicycle event that sees 15,000...
1 month ago
RAGBRAI® XLIX launches with the release of the 2022 logo and merchandise. The logo celebrates the journey riders take “ACROSS...
3 months ago
Click or tap the photos above to advance through the gallery. And just like that, it's over. Riders had just 31.6 miles to cover on...
2022 Men’s SLEEVE Jersey [Pre-Order] $65.00
2022 Women’s SLEEVE Jersey [Pre-Order] $65.00
2022 Men’s SLEEVELESS Jersey [Pre-Order] $65.00
2022 Logo Gemini Tank [Pre-Order] $60.00
2022 Men’s Shorts [Pre-Order] $65
Men’s 2021 Special Edition Jersey $80.00
Women’s 2021 Special Edition Jersey $80.00
2021 Men’s SLEEVELESS Jersey $65.00
2021 Women’s SLEEVELESS Jersey $65.00
2021 Logo Gemini Tank $60.00