First-Time Support Vehicle Drivers
- 2 May, 2009
For information on buses, please visit the Department of Transportation.
• Be sure to attend the RAGBRAI support vehicle drivers meeting at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, July 18, 2009 at the Mid-America Center Arena in Council Bluffs.
• Participating in RAGBRAI as a support vehicle driver could be addictive. (You may catch the RAGBRAI bug like everyone else.)
• Stay off the bicycle route. Support vehicles will have a different route to the next overnight town.
• Bring an Iowa state road map along. It can be very helpful to supplement the support vehicle map the Register provides and will assist you in determining on which roads you should be driving.
• Make sure you check in with the Information Center at every overnight town. This helps your group find out where you’re camping, and also gives the In Please be courteous. You are a guest in the community and should act like one. Turn your generators off when they’re not needed. It is hard to enjoy the great outdoors with the fumes and noise of multiple generators.
• Be patient. There will be lines everywhere you go, even when you’re driving.
• Be careful. When driving a large panel truck or pulling a trailer, be especially aware of what or who is behind or beside your vehicle. Overhead clearance is critical. Remember, you may have a bike rack on top of your vehicle that could hit tree branches or signs.
• Share. You are sharing camping sites with more than 10,000 bikers. Give everyone his/her space.
• Be neat. Encourage your group to pick up after themselves. Have garbage bags on hand for trash. Before you leave in the morning, walk your area. You’ll find the misplaced billfold, watch, sunglasses and bike computer. Your group will appreciate your efforts.
• Always buckle up and don’t drink alcoholic beverages if you’re going to be driving.
• Make sure you’re getting plenty of rest the night before driving so you stay sharp. Drowsiness can lead to becoming distracted and inattentive.
• Have a safe and fun trip!
1 day ago
A few moments ago it was snowing and RAGBRAI was a distant thought. Then something happened – namely spring came (reluctantly)...
1 week ago
Look we were in DeWitt overnight and we're still not sure if we can "handle" it! What a fun community to visit. A small group of...
1 week ago
The sights from Day 6 of the RAGBRAI Route Inspection Ride from Anamosa to DeWitt! Catch up on all the recaps from the daily rides...
“Pigweed” Gemini Tank $60.00
Men’s 2021 Special Edition Jersey [Pre-Order] $80.00
Women’s 2021 Special Edition Jersey [Pre-Order] $80.00
2021 Active Sport Tank $55
2021 RAGBRAI Sun Sleeves $35
RAGBRAI Roadshow Tee $25.00
2021 Lavender Hooded Sweatshirt $45
2021 Gold Hooded Sweatshirt $45
2021 Long Sleeve Logo Tee $30.00
Trading Cards: Poster Series $5.00