RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

Reply To: Timeto start indoor training?

“Bicycle Bill”, October 24, 2015 at 10:50 am

Don’t know if this will help you, Mich, but when I took a bad crash a few years back and had to have my arm operated on (broke the humerus and had to have it plated and screwed back together; helluvaway to get a titanium upgrade!) the doctor gave me an inexpensive but effective rehab regimen.  I pass it on to you and the rest of the people here as a matter of public service.
**Note — as with any physical activity, consult your doctor to be sure you are are healthy enough to use this program.**

• Start by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room on each side.

• With a 5-lb potato bag in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides.

• Hold them there as long as you can.  Try to reach a full minute, and then relax.  Each day you’ll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

• Once you are able to achieve this comfortably, move up to 10-lb potato bags; then increase to 20-lb bags, then 50-pounders.  Ultimately you will get to where you will be able lift a 100-lb potato bag in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute.
(not to brag or anything, but I am currently at this level.)

• After you feel confident at this stage, then put a potato in each bag.

-“BB”-

#1106530 |

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters