RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

Reply To: Charter or Motorhome?

Juan Medium Moose, March 4, 2016 at 10:27 am

I’ve done RAGBRAI twice, so far, and I used a charter service both times. My gut reaction to your question is that I think it would be better to go with a charter first, get a sense of how things work, and then make your plans for next year.

Much depends on what you want/need from your motorhome. I’ve been comfortable without A/C, though I fully understand the appeal. What I can’t do without is a shower at the end of the day, and the showers vary in quality from town to town. Last year, one spot ran out of hot water, and another had no towels. Bring a pack towel (camping towel), just in case.

I use the Bikes to You charter because they’re based out of Grinnell, IA, where I went to college. They offer a basic charter, you can add a tent service, or they have an “in Style” service that puts you in a motel each night (with A/C, shower, etc.). You will also hear a chorus of folks sing the praises of PBV and other charters. There’s a whole list of options from which to choose.

Okay… but… there are also plenty of resources available to help you plan a motorhome-based RAGBRAI, which I can imagine would be a fun and worthy adventure. Since you have a motorhome, I’m sure you know (much better than I do) how to enjoy a week in a motorhome.

If you do use the motorhome, you will need one more person along to drive it from town to town while you ride.

#1129122 |

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters