RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

Reply To: First time riders looking for a team to join

KenH, November 16, 2016 at 1:27 pm

I’m mid 60’s too and tent camped last year without any issues. Having a club or team or charter to do some of the work for you makes it quite bearable. The more you pay for your charter the more they do for you of course but I went with a bare bones charter (the Riverbend Club) and that was great! You could tent camp if you really can’t find anything else. You might enjoy it in fact, I did.

I hear that there is waiting list for the PBV semi-trailer “cabins” that stretches several years in the future. Don’t take my word for that but do check with them as soon as you can if you are interested in that option, just in case. There is one outfit that books motel rooms off route and transports you to/from every day. I don’t recall the name, perhaps someone else will. Again, it is something you’d do well to sign up for as soon as they open for business for 2017 as I would imagine it sells out quickly.

My method the previous four RAGBRAIs was to take my motorhome along for my team to use. My personal MH has enough bunk space for me, my two riding buddies, and a driver, if we can find one. One year we had to split the driving between us. I don’t know if my buddies will come this year or not. I won’t know for another few months. So maybe I could help you, maybe not, if you have a friend or family member who’d be willing to drive for us I would try harder to fit you in….

But even though chances are slim that I could help you, one of the easiest ways to get indoor lodgings for the night is to hook up with someone with a motorhome or camper. It is possible to rent motorhomes too and many people do that so if you can find yourself a driver and one or two more riders renting one might be an option.

After my experience this year however, I would have to say that tent camping would be my first choice. It is just a very nice way to do the ride.

#1181520 |

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters