RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Reply To: tips for newbees

Nico ZZZ, June 2, 2017 at 9:59 am

Mindset: Realize it really is a long, seven day event. The excitement and anxiety that first day can mean lots of newbies swerving into your line, not communicating to riders behind them, so on Day One ride easy and very aware, because by day Two everyone is getting into the groove of riding with the masses.
We will probably have a crappy weather day, so just take it as it comes. Not every hour of the seven days will be magical, which is part of the magic of RAGBRAI. If riding on Day Three at 10am is not your greatest hour, realize you still have three and a half more days to find the groove and enjoyment! The second day of my first year I was having knee pain, thought I might even have to bail out. Brought my seat up about a half inch, pain dissipated, and I rode great the rest of the ride. But Day Six was the rain from hell day (2014), and we froze in the school in Tripoli to avoid the lightning. Was ready to SAG, but a teammate said “no way” and we rode out into the eventual beautiful sunshine of a great day of riding (and having a few nice victory beers along the way!). RAGBRAI brings it all, so find that RAGBRAI mindset.
Enjoy the Life, and Ride On! 50 Days!!!

#1268391 |

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI