RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

Reply To: Water Stops on Route or Begging Locals for Garden Hose?

T. Gap Woo, June 28, 2018 at 8:52 am

I heartily concur with the previous posts!

This is how I handle the water situation. Every night, I refill my camelback and two water bottles in my motel room and put them in the refrigerator overnight. By morning, they are cold and ready to go.

As the day goes on and the supply dwindles, I stop at a local library or church social hall and refill from their water bubbler. Not only do I avoid the lines at the pvc/fire hydrant station, but also get good-tasting water! An added bonus is the air conditioning and the clean non-kybo facilities. (Please be neat and do not abuse the privilege).

I avoid drinking water from the garden hose at all costs for several reasons. First, most hoses are rated only for gardening/lawn watering, not for drinking. Chemicals leach from the hose into the water and that’s not healthy! Second, after heating up in the sun, the water becomes a breeding ground for who-knows-what type of bacteria that cannot be flushed out of the hose. Finally, the hose nozzle has probably been sitting on the ground in dirt, chemicals, fertilizer etc. Drinking from a garden hose is an open invitation for a dance doing the Tijuana Two-step. Who needs that?

If you need to cool down, spray your jersey with the hose, but DON’T drink the water!!

See you along the I-O-Way in a few short weeks.

#1289410 |

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters