RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

Reply To: GAP/C&O Canal trail as a tuneup?

brewmeister.us, March 5, 2019 at 6:20 am

Rode GAP & C&O in 2017 week immediately preceding RAGBRAI. I probably wouldn’t do that again as was pretty beat up coming into Iowa, but I would have been much better with more recovery time in between.

About the adventure as a whole, I had an absolute great time. Rode self supported with my wife, but spent overnights in B&B’s and whatnot. Surly Cross Check with front and rear racks and panniers and 700×41 Surly Knards. My wife rode a Novara Safari with 700×48 tires, 2 rear racks.

GAP is very well kept. Crushed limestone, 1% grade from Pittsburgh to Eastern Continental Divide. C&O is just the opposite. Lots of mud and ruts, very slow going, especially from Cumberland thru Paw Paw. It’s pretty brutal, especially if there’s been rain. The closer you get to DC the better the C&O gets, though.

Towns off of both were really cool and was nice to take time and wander.

I wrote a blog after I got back from Iowa that covers GAP & C&O as well as my first RAGBRAI and other musings. If you’re interested, check it out – you’ll need to scroll down to find GAP & C&O entries, but will give you ideas on how far we went, where we stopped and stuff along the way. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a msg thru here with your email and I’ll try to help as best as I can.

blog: https://myragbrai2016.wordpress.com/

#1300426 |

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters