RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

Reply To: Riding alone

cmparsley, July 4, 2019 at 8:41 pm

My first RAGBRAI I rode alone as well. I actually loaded everything on my bike and rode solo from where I lived at the time to the overnight town. Then I rode the route the next day.

It was scary rolling down my driveway knowing that I had 80 miles to ride followed by a 72 mile day and it was all on me to get it done. This experience fundamentally changed me. Waking up the next morning and seeing the sheer number of bicycles was mind boggling. Here I was, alone in a sea of people all riding the same direction to the same place. Eventually I got to talking to people around me and I knew I was going to need to experience more.

The next year, I rode every single mile. I dipped my back wheel in the Missouri River and the front wheel in the Mississippi River. I remember the last climb and seeing the river and the sea of people lined up to dip their tires. I was moved to tears.

For the last 11 years, I have ridden every single mile. Now I have an RV that my wife drives. We have 12 friends that go with us every year. RAGBRAI will be whatever you make it to be. That is the true beauty of this event.

#1307379 |

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters