RAGBRAI LI July 20 -27, 2024

Reply To: Show me the Money!

KenH, November 21, 2019 at 10:42 am

One particular news outlet is digging deep into RAGBRAI’s finances and charity contributions in order to generate profits for their own organization by digging out dirt that people will pay to hear about. I think it is important to keep that in mind. But, in the process of doing that they are asking some questions that should be asked. Whether or not they need to be discussed here is questionable but the Register can close down the discussion if they feel that it is inappropriate. Yes, it is a concern if towns are losing money when they participate in RAGBRAI and maybe both rides need to adjust their funding process to keep towns interested in participating in the future. That’s not my job however, that is the ride directors’ job.

In a report I have read one town says they spent over $100k last year and broke even. How am I supposed to discuss that? RAGBRAI paid them the standard $8500, I paid them nothing, yet they covered the difference somehow. I have no clue how that works. I realize that we the RAGBRAI nation dropped a lot of coin in their town but we did not give it to the city, we gave it to various vendors and organizations. I haven’t a clue how that works so I cannot discuss it.

But if the cities feel there is a problem then RAGBRAI and IR will need to address the problem in the long run else there will be no host cities and no rides in the near future.

#1313252 |

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters