Join Us in July - Register Today!

Reply To: Advice for riding a Recumbent Trike

KenH, March 23, 2021 at 2:58 pm

I don’t ride a trike but I can comment on a couple of things. I echo the notion that there is not typically a huge bottleneck at the start of each day. There can be backups here and there and the crowd is likely to be denser at the start than it is a few miles down the road. I don’t think it would be an issue for most people so probably not for you.

Most pass through towns will have bottlenecks however. People riding two wheelers will have to dismount and walk through town even if they are not stopping. Not as much an issue on a trike, I would assume, but you might have trouble staying in contact with your leader. This is all very low speed so I would guess it is not an issue for you, just mentioning it so that you can consider it and ask more questions if you have concerns.

eBikes of any kind that won’t exceed 20mph in throttle mode (if they have a throttle, many are pedal assist only) and are 750W power rating or less are allowed under Iowa law and RAGBRAI rules. Feel free to bring yours. Others will have to give you pointers on charging them if you don’t have access to a generator. If that generator running in the distance on a hot night is my motorhome you are welcome to plug into the exterior outlet as long as your load doesn’t trip the breaker! If you are bringing your own RV with a generator then you are set. Most teams and charters will have generators that you can use.

You often see trikes travelling in small packs. I can’t tell you if they are doing RAGBRAI together as a team by plan in advance or if they just meet up on the road and in towns. One way or another you should be able to hook up with one.

Come on out in July, you will have a great time!

#1338591 |

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters