RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

Reply To: Iowa State Patrol closing towns down early…again

LawnchairMan, August 12, 2021 at 11:33 pm

In my last post, I said, “it should almost climb back to the ten o’clock position”. Strike the word “back”.

I thought of another trick to speed your bike. If you have bladed spokes, make sure they are aligned properly.
Truing your wheels will also help. If your wheel is oval-shaped you will be doing mini up and downs that waste energy.

Of course, the big thing I would recommend is to ride a recumbent. Unless the route is really hilly, a recumbent two-wheeler is faster. That is why they are banned from most races. Not only faster, but more comfortable. At the end of a long ride, my muscles may be sore, but I don’t get saddle sores, and my neck and shoulders are not stiff. My hands or other body parts don’t “fall asleep”.

Going back to aerodynamics and drag, I recently mounted an airhorn on my bike. It has a refillable canister that straps to the bike frame. I will remove the horn when I get to Ragbrai because it sticks out from my handlebar to create a little drag. A while back I thought that my brakes were rubbing my wheel. It turned out that the air bottle was rubbing my chain. So make sure brakes or other parts don’t create unnecessary drag.

I hope you can use some of these suggestions longtimerider. Some may sound like basics, so I hope they don’t offend. I am aware of several basics, but I keep learning or re-learning things that I should have known.

This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by LawnchairMan.

This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by LawnchairMan.

#1346823 |

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters