RAGBRAI LI July 20 -27, 2024

Reply To: BOYFRIEND RIDING BANDIT AND I DON'T WANT TO

knees36, July 6, 2011 at 11:30 am

flyinbrian said:

I want to relate a story from last year’s ride. I came up on a girl with an Operation game strapped to her bike. I asked her about it and came to find that her and 4 friends were biking from Seattle to upstate NY. Along the way someone told them about RAGBRAI so they looked it up on the internet and realized the timing would be about right so they rode with the rest of us across Iowa.  I for one wasn’t upset that they didn’t pay. They didn’t really have much money but I sure enjoyed meeting their group and talking with them.  We cooked them dinner one night and let them drink our beer.  Our team didn’t care if they were bandits. We just wanted to show them some Iowa hospitality and good times.  They did not pickpocket us.

Brian…Not a problem at all for me.  They didn’t plan to ride bandit, but the opportunity came up for them to ride with RAGBRAI.  They couldn’t have registered anyway, much too late to do so.  I have heard of other stories (in the DMR) of cross-country riders happening to come across RAG and would ride with us from that point on.  Planning to bandit even if you have money is a bit of a difference.  Rationalizing that they don’t use RAG services, so why pay is another issue. 

Question: Assuming you are registered riders, would your team cook a dinner and give out free beer every evening of RAGBRAI to Team Blonde (assuming they have about 15 riders or so or better yet pay their registration fees as well because they refuse to pay their own way?) 

Kudos to your team for doing what you did for those cross-country riders.  I’m guessing they went on their way with nothing but positive thoughts and experiences about riding in Iowa with RAGBRAI…as it should be.    I would guess that most registered rider teams would have no problem doing the same.  Cheers.

#20322 |

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters