Join Us in July - Register Today!

1991 overnight papers

Ran across these 7 papers from the 1991 RAGBRAI (19). Glenwood, Atlantic,Winterset, Knoxville, Amana, Anamosa Belleview. Grinnell is missing. I was going to pitch them, but thought someone might just want them. 10 bucks to cover postage?

15 Replies

“Bicycle Bill”, December 10, 2010 at 12:44 am

wdwrkr1 said: Ran across these 7 papers from the 1991 RAGBRAI (19). Glenwood, Atlantic,Winterset, Knoxville, Amana, Anamosa Belleview. Grinnell is missing. I was going to pitch them, but thought someone might just want them. 10 bucks to cover postage?

I might be interested, but unless you’re sending them by FedEx overnight express, ten bucks is a heckuvalot for postage.  It’s not exactly like this is hot, up-to-the-minute news, either.  USPS media mail is slower, but it’s also a darned sight cheaper.

I’ll make a counter-offer:  Two bucks, plus the actual cost of USPS media mail postage.  Deal?

-“BB”-

wdwrkr1, December 22, 2010 at 8:47 am

So you want me to find a box, package them up, drive to the P.O., wait in line, invest my money and them hope you send me not quite enough for a beer? I didn’t need advice as to the worth of them. No deal. Recycle bin.

Davy Sprocket, December 22, 2010 at 9:02 am

wdwrkr1 said: So you want me to find a box, package them up, drive to the P.O., wait in line, invest my money and them hope you send me not quite enough for a beer? I didn’t need advice as to the worth of them. No deal. Recycle bin.

Ouch!  Tell him how you really feel. LOL!So what about that “If it fits, it ships” deal with the post office?  They will come to you and pick it up which will save you all that time in the Morrison post office.  I believe it will only cost about $7, but wdwekr1, you would have to take the time to put the papers in the box and seal it.  Are you looking for profit or do a good deed?  Your original post made it sound like you were trying to be a nice guy, but just over-priced the postage.

Merry Christmas ya’ll

ts, December 22, 2010 at 9:42 am

Davey Sprocket said:

Ouch!  Tell him how you really feel. LOL!So what about that “If it fits, it ships” deal with the post office?  They will come to you and pick it up which will save you all that time in the Morrison post office.  I believe it will only cost about $7, but wdwekr1, you would have to take the time to put the papers in the box and seal it.  Are you looking for profit or do a good deed?  Your original post made it sound like you were trying to be a nice guy, but just over-priced the postage.

Merry Christmas ya’ll

Good idea, but a medium flat-rate box from the USPS, which looks like about the right size to ship 7 folded small town newspapers, is $10.20 with “online discount”.  Given this, I think wdwrkr1’s original $10 offer was fair.

Davy Sprocket, December 22, 2010 at 9:48 am

You are probably right ts, but my point was, are you trying to do someone a favor or out for a free beer.  I would bet that BB would have gladly bought woody a beer without being asked.  It is the asking and expectation that bothers me.  If I had the papers, I would ship them for free to a fellow ‘brai’er.  But that is just me.  Maybe that is why I am poor.

knees36, December 22, 2010 at 10:15 am

…not in spirit!

jwsknk, December 22, 2010 at 10:24 am

ts said:

Good idea, but a medium flat-rate box from the USPS, which looks like about the right size to ship 7 folded small town newspapers, is $10.20 with “online discount”.  Given this, I think wdwrkr1’s original $10 offer was fair.

so BB counter of $2 plus USPS cost would have come up to $12.20. I think I have a bunch of the old papers in a box somewhere too. Helped a couple move this past summer and they found a box full in their attic.

Satman, December 22, 2010 at 11:32 am

IMHO ~ I thought the original offer was nice; I would have thrown them out because I consider my time being worth a lot more than the time it would take to get them shipped, even without the postage.  The ‘counter’ was cute, but so . . . ‘Yard-sale-ish’.

ts, December 22, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Davey Sprocket said: If I had the papers, I would ship them for free to a fellow ‘brai’er.  But that is just me.  Maybe that is why I am poor.

You and George Bailey.  Merry Christmas, everyone!

indianafrank, December 22, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Can’t say as I blame wdwrkr1. Makes an offer and gets slammed. One more opportunity to peek at Ragbrai 20 years ago disappears.

Davy Sprocket, December 22, 2010 at 8:54 pm

indianafrank said: Can’t say as I blame wdwrkr1. Makes an offer and gets slammed. One more opportunity to peek at Ragbrai 20 years ago disappears.

It wasn’t woody’s first offer that bothered me, it was his response to BB’s counter offer.  The whole whinning about going to the post office and stand in line stuff.  I believe that sometime you just do something nice for people.  George Bailey?  Yeah.  I would like to think there is a lot of George in me.  I bought a 2005 jersey from someone off this site for $50 bucks.  He did not wait to receive my money before sending the jersey and I didn’t wait to get the jersey before paying.  You know what?  We trusted eachother even though we had never met.

Merry Christmas!

rjjensenia, December 22, 2010 at 10:52 pm

George Bailey, Henry Potter. 

Buffalo gal won’t you come out tonight?
Denison iowa is the first overnight for ragbrai 2011 to honor Donna
i hope i hope i hope.
iowa beats mo 22-17

Davy Sprocket, January 1, 2011 at 6:50 pm

So what ever happened with the papers?  Was an accord reached?

“Bicycle Bill”, January 2, 2011 at 12:47 am

Not with me, anyway.  I was working more along the lines of what indianafrank said — preserving RAGBRAI history, even if it was a short set (note that he said the Grinnell paper was missing) that I would have been buying sight unseen.  I really didn’t need those as I already have a set, since I rode back in ’91.

The seller apparently already knew what the postage was going to amount to and at a $10.00 asking price he stood to make a fair bit over and above it, because when I offered him $2.00 *OVER* the actual cost of postage he didn’t even make me a counteroffer — either here on the forum or by PM — but turned me down flat.

I think it’s also a bit revealing when you learn that the two messages in this thread are the only two messages he has posted on the forums, and he hasn’t been back here since posting message #2.

-“BB”-

Davy Sprocket, January 2, 2011 at 9:50 am

I don’t want to open up that can of worms again, but was curious as to what happened in the end. 

My only commentary will draw from what we all know from riding Ragbrai………It is about the people.  There is no winner or loser, only the incredible happiness of a shared experience with others.

1991 papers?   $10.00
Ragbrai friends?   Priceless

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters