RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

1st Time RAGBRAI – a bit concerned

Hello – just a quick question – where does Dave E. post the RAGBRAI training schedule? Nancy R. mentioned it in a previous post, but not sure where to find it. So much to learn in so little time – very overwhelmed. I want to be prepared so I’m not struggling the entire route. I’ve heard how fun this ride is and I want to be able to enjoy the ride. I have just recently starting spin classes to try to help me get ready for the ride. Thanks in advance for all of your advice! I look forward to meeting you on the ride!

26 Replies

Browner, March 31, 2012 at 10:01 pm

The Training Log and a lot of other training info is right here on the RAGBRAI site. On the menu at the top, point at Training and go down the menu to training Blog. There are several posts you can go trhough by clicking “Continure Reading” There is also a “Previous Entries” link at the bottom of the posts. Click that to go back in time. Partway down the page is the 2011 Training Log.

MinneapolisTeri, April 1, 2012 at 2:14 pm

HawkeyeGal, this is my first RAGBRAI too, and overwhelmed is the word! Until a month ago, I hadn’t been on a bike for 20 years. Now, I’m training like a madwoman, worried about whether I’ll have the stamina to get through RAGBRAI week. From what everyone tells me, it’s a blast if you’re in good shape. If you don’t train properly, it’s tough. I’ll take a look at the training info mentioned…

Good luck!

Iowa Hawkeyegal, April 1, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Yes, it’s been 15 years for me since I’ve been on a bike! Thank you everyone who responded! Michrider, you seem to be a legend at RAGBRAI! Thanks for the link! I’ll study it tonight to try to better prepare myself for the ride.

Thanks for the tips! Any advice is welcome! I’m sure I’ll have more questions the closer we get to RAGBRAI! Thanks a bunch!

mentor58, April 1, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Iowa Hawkeyegal:
<>Thank you everyone who responded!Michrider, you seem to be a legend at RAGBRAI!Thanks for the link!I’ll study it tonight to try to better prepare myself for the ride.

OH geeze, Now ya done it. He’s going to need an extra kerb to hold his head now.

Steve
Who is looking forward to meeting the Forum Crew

Iowa Hawkeyegal, April 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm

mentor58: Steve
Who is looking forward to meeting the Forum Crew

I am looking forward to meeting everyone on here! You guys have been a big help and I look forward to chatting with you more in the next few months.

Amanda, April 1, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Relax and just have fun. Train all you can but don’t stress if the mileage isn’t as high as you think it should be. I have done it with 1000 miles and as little as 350. Its all doable. And fun. Take care

sorbut, April 1, 2012 at 8:54 pm

First timer here. Able to do centuries without out a problem, but first organized week long ride. Looking forward to it if lucky enough to get in. Did ride across SD four years ago with my then young son. Know I’ll enjoy this more if the weather cooperates.

giantron, April 2, 2012 at 7:04 am

There you go, the legend of MichRider. That should be a whole new topic!

We could start a cartoon “The Legend of Michrider”. Where he chases down bandits (really good pun there) and brings them to justice with his trusty curb.

And his version of Popeye’s spinach would be a can of Budweiser.

jwsknk, April 2, 2012 at 7:19 am

spinning slasses will help. Don’t think it’s an 80 mile day! try it’s 8 10 mile rides, I can do 10 mile rides. Even if I average 12 mph, with stops in towns, I can do it in 8 hours.
The Register figurs 10 mph for the town “closing “time, the time the Higheway patro; will come in and shut down the beer garden and when the bike shops close up, also the last time the sag wagons will be there. That will be published on the daily maps but figure a town 20 miles from the overnight closes at 4:00so plan on being out by then.
Get in some group rides, too many virgins train on their own or only ride with one or two others, whole different thing than woth 500 right in front of you and another 500 you can see behind you.Also, don’t stick to trails, most trails only will have a 2-3% grade do to the railroad requirements and now ADA limlis.
At some point during the week, you will probably have to ride in less than ideal conditions, too hot, cold or rainy. Don’t avoid those days in the next 3-4 months, use them now while clost to home to figure out what you will need in july.
and beware of Kurb dwellers form Kaintuckee
:)

Blumblebees, April 2, 2012 at 7:37 am

Everyone on these boards are so helpful. Truly they have shown that there are no dumb questions because they will willing answer and all questions you may have. They’ll keep you laughing and smiling the whole time!

I agree to try and get in a group ride. My first RAGBRAI was the first time I did a group ride. While I did fine (I obsessively read up on RAGBRAI and learned to always communicate what I was doing) I ended up crashing the first day due to another newbie not announcing that she was going to stop and stopped right in front me. I had no other choice than to steer myself into a grassy ditch because I would have either slammed into her and had the person behind me slam into us or I would have had to veer left into other cyclists. So lesson here is make sure you always loudly and clearly let others around you know when you are going to do something that my affect them.

Zinger, April 2, 2012 at 7:44 am

Getting used to your bike seat is half the training battle!! Sore legs are manageable, a sore tush can ruin the ride!! Unfortunately, spin classes don’t help with that. As a 10 year veteran (yep, feels good to be able to say that!!), my advice is to just get on your bike, ride, and have fun!! Solo rides are a great time for introspection, and group rides are wonderful for connecting with other cyclists. Enjoy!!

Michrider !!!, April 2, 2012 at 8:34 am

I need to start my Kurb training soon! However, as my Mother always told me, “Never sit on concrete during a month with an R”. I think that’s how it goes!!!

Iowa Hawkeyegal, April 2, 2012 at 9:17 am

jwsknk: spinning slasses will help. Don’t think it’s an 80 mile day! try it’s 8 10 mile rides, I can do 10 mile rides. Even if I average 12 mph, with stops in towns, I can do it in 8 hours.The Register figurs 10 mph for the town “closing “time, the time the Higheway patro; will come in and shut down the beer garden and when the bike shops close up, also the last time the sag wagons will be there. That will be published on the daily maps but figure a town 20 miles from the overnight closes at 4:00so plan on being out by then.Get in some group rides, too many virgins train on their own or only ride with one or two others, whole different thing than woth 500 right in front of you and another 500 you can see behind you.Also, don’t stick to trails, most trails only will have a 2-3% grade do to the railroad requirements and now ADA limlis.At some point during the week, you will probably have to ride in less than ideal conditions, too hot, cold or rainy. Don’t avoid those days in the next 3-4 months, use them now while clost to home to figure out what you will need in july.and beware of Kurb dwellers form Kaintuckee:)

Thank you jwsknk! The more information I can learn from others, the more relaxed I feel. I have begun spin classes (which are kicking my butt) and I’m a little concerned about the pace I am keeping. The guy next to me in spin today (who was like 20 years older than me) said to do RAGBRAI and make it through the whole thing, I should keep a cadence of 100 the entire time! He said if I do a cadence of 100 up hills too, I’ll have no problem with RAGBARI. He also said that I should increase gears going down hills so I can really pump it and keep that 100 cadence going. I about fell off my bike! I was really banking on coasting down hills! And a cadence of 100 going up hills? That has me pretty worried :) I know I need to really bump up my training if I’m going to be able to accomplish anything close to that! The only thing I’m hoping is that he has no idea what he’s talking about. This is his first one too! He sounded so confident as he was telling me though so I’m a little more anxious now about it than I was when I woke up this morning.

Thanks again for all of the advice! I really so appreciate it!

Iowa Hawkeyegal, April 2, 2012 at 9:22 am

Zinger: Getting used to your bike seat is half the training battle!! Sore legs are manageable, a sore tush can ruin the ride!! Unfortunately, spin classes don’t help with that. As a 10 year veteran (yep, feels good to be able to say that!!), my advice is to just get on your bike, ride, and have fun!! Solo rides are a great time for introspection, and group rides are wonderful for connecting with other cyclists. Enjoy!!

Thank you Zinger! I do need to get more time on my bike. I have been feeling pretty good that my butt hasn’t been too sore in spin, but now I’m less convinced that my natural padding is really helping as much I had thought :) I plan to get out and get some miles done this weekend – hopefully the weather stays nice in Iowa!

I am more excited about meeting you guys! Reading these message boards there seem to be some very veteran, knowledgeable riders that I can’t wait to have a beer with. I’m sure you’ve got stories galore! I keep telling myself the pain now will be worth the fun/knowledge later :)

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI