RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

1st Time RAGBRAI – a bit concerned

Hello – just a quick question – where does Dave E. post the RAGBRAI training schedule? Nancy R. mentioned it in a previous post, but not sure where to find it. So much to learn in so little time – very overwhelmed. I want to be prepared so I’m not struggling the entire route. I’ve heard how fun this ride is and I want to be able to enjoy the ride. I have just recently starting spin classes to try to help me get ready for the ride. Thanks in advance for all of your advice! I look forward to meeting you on the ride!

26 Replies

Ride4Life, April 3, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Iowa Hawkeyegal,

The first thing to remember is that RAGBRAI is a ride and not a race. I agree with Zinger, don’t think OMG, I have to ride 80 miles today, think of it as 7 miles to town A, followed by 12 miles to town B, so on and so forth. Engage those around you in conversation. Everyone like you is taking the week off to enjoy the ride. Ask about their favorite food vendors along the route, things to see and do, but above all train. Ride, ride and ride some more.

RAGBRAI will post a list of items you should pack in order to have a successful week. You may want to consider packing light. 3 or 4 pairs of bicycling shorts instead of 7 (you can rinse them out daily while showering). Zip lock bags to protect your camera and cell phone (in case of rain) Pack your sunscreen, sunglasses, etc. and be ready for the exhilaration you’ll have when you dip your front tire in the Mississippi river once you’ve finished!

Enjoy, have fun and be safe.
:)

mclousing, April 3, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Hey there Iowa Hawkeyegal, as for the cadence question. maintaining a high cadence is the method of maintaining fresh legs but having a hard and fast rule for maintianing 100 RPM is not necessarily true. I just looked at my Garmin report from last ragbrai and I averaged a 78 RPM, I coasted down a lot of down hills, maintaining 100 up some hills was impossible (in my opinion) at times. Ride what you feel comfortable with.

Just remember like others have said it is ride and not a race. It is a social event not an attempt to go on a solo ride. Enjoy the people around you don’t get caught up in the mechanics of the ride and have fun.

rareform1, April 4, 2012 at 9:43 am

2012 Training Schedule is posted:

https://ragbrai.com/2012/04/04/ragbrai-training-15-week-training-plan-log/

For people who like numbers, the excel spreadsheet is set up to auto-total so you will be able to see how your numbers are coming along at any time.

MH

Iowa Hawkeyegal, April 4, 2012 at 12:28 pm

rareform1: 2012 Training Schedule is posted:https://ragbrai.com/2012/04/04/ragbrai-training-15-week-training-plan-log/For people who like numbers, the excel spreadsheet is set up to auto-total so you will be able to see how your numbers are coming along at any time.MH

This will be very helpful! Thank you so much rareform1!

stuckinmizzou, April 4, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Regarding packing…get everything together you are going to take and then cut it in 1/2…this will be my tenth year and each year I end up taking less than the previous year…but there are a couple of items you need to make sure you have – Hand Sanitizer and Wet Ones Hand Wipes! Buy them at Wal-Mart in the travel size…they a easily carried and you can get by with about 5 pkgs…

Iowa Hawkeyegal, April 4, 2012 at 2:02 pm

stuckinmizzou: Regarding packing…get everything together you are going to take and then cut it in 1/2…this will be my tenth year and each year I end up taking less than the previous year…but there are a couple of items you need to make sure you have – Hand Sanitizer and Wet Ones Hand Wipes! Buy them at Wal-Mart in the travel size…they a easily carried and you can get by with about 5 pkgs…

Yes, this will be a “must” for me :) I’ll probably have a big bottle of this stuff attached to my handlebars!!! You can never have too much Purell :)

shawndev, April 4, 2012 at 2:42 pm

What?!?! You don’t have 500 miles in already? Holy crap! This is going to be hard to do then!

shawndev, April 4, 2012 at 2:49 pm

J/K. Ride when you can. Even little rides like 10-12 in the evening after dinner are helpful; just keep stringing them together. Get some longer rides in once or twice a week. Try to ride with a regular group too. It gives you energy, makes you accountable, and helps you acclimate to the hordes at RAGBRAI. Spin classes are not a straight-up substitute for riding on the road, but have their place.

Like was said earlier forget the day’s mileage on RAGBRAI. 80 miles sounds like a lot first thing in the morning. Break it down. Ride to the next town mentally and physically. It’s probably 10-15 miles away. Stop. Get something to drink and eat. Lather, rinse, repeat. Next thing you know you went 80 miles.

Oh, one more thing: HAVE FUN!!!

RonB, April 4, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Iowa Hawkeyegal: The guy next to me in spin today (who was like 20 years older than me) said to do RAGBRAI and make it through the whole thing, I should keep a cadence of 100 the entire time! He said if I do a cadence of 100 up hills too, I’ll have no problem with RAGBARI. He also said that I should increase gears going down hills so I can really pump it and keep that 100 cadence going. I about fell off my bike! I was really banking on coasting down hills! And a cadence of 100 going up hills? That has me pretty worried :) I know I need to really bump up my training if I’m going to be able to accomplish anything close to that! The only thing I’m hoping is that he has no idea what he’s talking about.

Hawkeyegal….he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. 100rpm is very difficult to pedal, even for a few minutes for us mortal men/women. Even the pros can’t keep that up on hills! Spinning to your capability is probably a good thing, but don’t fret the numbers.

Den, April 4, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Hawkeyegal: RonB is correct. The 100 RPM guy doesn’t know what he is talking about or is bragging and just trying to impress you. The “experts” have always recommended 80-90 RPM as a normal cadence for the majority of ride conditions. Spin occasionally into the upper 90’s-100’s if you feel it. On hills try to keep your cadence between 70-80 RPM if you have the gears. Spinning faster takes the stress off your leg muscles and puts it on your cardiovascular system which can sustain the strain for a much longer period of time than your leg muscles. Higher cadence also takes strain off your knees. High cadence is good, but consistent 100 RPM is not necessary. Unless your spinning neighbor is a Lance wannabe or NuFred, there is no need to worry about 100RPM. If you pedal downhill don’t forget to yell “WEEEE”. Otherwise like others have said, us mere mortals are fine at a normal cadence.

Iowa Hawkeyegal, April 6, 2012 at 10:55 am

Den: Hawkeyegal: RonB is correct. The 100 RPM guy doesn’t know what he is talking about or is bragging and just trying to impress you. The “experts” have always recommended 80-90 RPM as a normal cadence for the majority of ride conditions. Spin occasionally into the upper 90′s-100′s if you feel it. On hills try to keep your cadence between 70-80 RPM if you have the gears. Spinning faster takes the stress off your leg muscles and puts it on your cardiovascular system which can sustain the strain for a much longer period of time than your leg muscles. Higher cadence also takes strain off your knees. High cadence is good, but consistent 100 RPM is not necessary. Unless your spinning neighbor is a Lance wannabe or NuFred, there is no need to worry about 100RPM. If you pedal downhill don’t forget to yell “WEEEE”. Otherwise like others have said, us mere mortals are fine at a normal cadence.

Oh thank you Ron B and Den! This helps ease some anxiety! Even though here in Iowa the weather is supposed to be kind of cruddy – I plan to get out there and get some miles in.

Thanks again for your suggestions! They help TREMENDOUSLY!!!

Viewing 11 replies - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI