2 new riders looking for a team

We are husband and wife pair of newbies. One of us is celebrating the big 5-0 on July 20th so Ragbrai seems like a memorable way to spend the day.

We’d like to find a team that might have room for 2 more fun loving/not rocket fast riders…I’m not exactly sure how to do that. Suggestions appreciated!

12 Replies

Ken Koprowski, January 27, 2020 at 2:23 pm

I think you are too old to join a team- i have not done the ride yet either but it looks for the years of trolling – many teams will start posting soon that they need people- last year there were many openings – i just could not make it
see ya on the road
KK

Thomas Tye, January 27, 2020 at 2:27 pm

July 20 is my special day also!! Just created account and will be first year to ride. Welcome to the 5. 0. club.

reddog1, January 27, 2020 at 2:28 pm

You are not too old for any team. Please provide a profile as to what you are looking for in a team. Camping/inside or what. What are you expecting for support. Do you want a drinking team or ?? Where you are from and a little background would be helpful to all.

Chris Ashton, January 27, 2020 at 2:33 pm

Happy 5-0! I don’t know much about teams, but have you thought about joining a charter? We used Pork Belly Ventures last year and it made things super easy and convenient for us.

Kimberlee Fenn, January 27, 2020 at 3:11 pm

Thank you. I run a 23 minute 5K and I’d put both of us in above average shape so never considered we were too old! Happy to camp, need good coffee in the morning, beer midday and a nice Chardonnay (and a shower) in the evening. We are parents of three teenagers, happy to pitch in and pick up, looking for a group of fun, like minded people. In terms of biking, we won’t finish first but we won’t be last either!

Eric Strobel, January 27, 2020 at 7:28 pm

So what is the difference between joining a team or a group? What does a team do? I might be interested but just need more details. Oh, this is my 60th birthday year and wanted a good physical thing to do. Did the Big Ride for my 40th. Any insight is welcomed.

bmyoungberg, January 27, 2020 at 8:06 pm

You do not have to join anything. You can use the truck to transport your gear for free. You have to put up and take down your tent, but it is easy. You have new neighbors each night, showers are handy, and campsite is quiet by 10. I have done it for years rather than spend the money to join a charter.

HillsAngels1, January 28, 2020 at 6:21 am

I PM you get a hold of me our team might be a good fit for you

Dan Kurovski, February 1, 2020 at 10:15 pm

Any suggestions on tent? Not sure on others on former team and going solo may be the way to go this year,and where is the truck usually located?

mootsman, February 2, 2020 at 9:47 am

I think there will be lots of different teams you can join. Usually they start posting here looking for riders to fill open spots after the end of March as they have some riders needing to drop out when conflicts come up. Plus a team is a good way to get a group riders to hang out with.

Charters are also nice and for extra cost offer lots of services for a price. I go with Pork Belly as they have a tent service. I enjoy getting into the overnight town with a PBV owned tent set up for me with my luggage waiting inside. And they have great shower trucks. Plus good beer included and 3 meals. I have gone with teams before and at my age (your very young yet) I strongly favor charters and a tent service.

David Moss, February 14, 2020 at 9:22 pm

The Hills Angels would be your best choice. Get ahold of Randy “The Grand Poobah”. I’m the driver of the bus, no team does it better.

2newknees2newbeers, February 16, 2020 at 10:58 am

I’m on Team good beer, we started to generate interest in good beer which was lacking 15 years on Ragbrai. Its now there are so many beer gardens and good beer stops on the ride there is too much. But we started a team of people with the same interests. We get to see each other on Ragbrai and on other rides and events throughout the year. We have a core group of 40 or so that ride every year and we allow about 10 new rookies every year. Rookies have chores they must do the first year they join. Its all a group effort to make the week enjoyable for all. Starting a team is quite an accomplishment and keeping it going is a challenge. Everyone on our team is registered on Ragbrai. Myself and another legacy rider is also doing the Iowa Ride, we’ll probably ride with a charter group but still sporting our Team Good Beer jerseys. If you see us on Ragbrai stop in for a beer at the Firkin Bus or Bierstube, tell them Godfather sent you

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015