2 people needing a ride from Keokuk–>Council Bluffs:)

Hey guys!
My teammate and I are coming from Georgia, therefore wanting to park the car in Keokuk, so when we finish, we will just keep heading southeast. This is our first RAGBRAI so I’m clueless on where or how to get started with this planning. I have read that there are shuttle services but just wanted others opinions?

Thank you!

7 Replies

Kathy Empen, May 26, 2019 at 8:12 am

My husband and I are using Alpaca Adventure tours shuttle, $125 (not the whole tour, just the shuttle.

This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Kathy Empen.

trek2300, May 26, 2019 at 9:03 am

You’re correct, there are shuttles available from Keokuk to Council Bluffs. Keokuk also has long term parking available for $70. From my experience, using a RAGBRAI charter service is the least painful way to get from the finishing town to the starting town on Saturday. Several of the charters offer a transportation only option but you may want to consider using all of the charter’s available services. I readily admit I’ve always used a charter so my opinion is skewed.

You can get more information browsing this site. I’d recommend confirming your transport relatively soon as most charters have limited bus spots and also confirm your parking in Keokuk.

Nothing about RAGBRAI logistics is overly painful but it can seem daunting the first time. I’d break it down this way:
1. Get my bike and myself to Keokuk on Friday
2. Confirm long term parking in Keokuk. Do it now!
3. Drop off your bike with the charter company on Friday per their schedule
4. Camp Friday night in Keokuk or try to find a motel (Good luck on that this late in the game!)
5. Park your car Friday night or early Saturday AM
6. Get you and your gear to the charter pick up site Saturday AM. It will be crowded.
7. Ride the bus to CB. If you are spending the week with the charter company, grab your gear off the bus and set up your tent. You will put your gear on the charter’s truck every morning and pick it up in the new town every afternoon.
8. If you used the charter for transport only to CB, when the charter bus arrives you have to get your gear and bike to the main RAGBRAI camping area so you can get your gear on the RAGBRAI truck on Sunday morning when you start your ride. Completing this bag drag is your responsibility. How far is the bus arrival from the general RAGBRAI camping? It could be several miles.

Browse the forums, there is tons of well thought out guidance on charters, what to pack, how to pack, how much to spend, and lots more.

Ride lots now and enjoy RAGBRAI more later!

Samantha Allen, May 26, 2019 at 11:16 pm

Do you have any suggestions on shuttle services? Also, where do I find long term parking?
Is there a transportation to haul your bike, gear and yourself all together?

klkoopman, May 27, 2019 at 6:01 am

A listing of shuttle services can be found on this website, look under “Iowa”: https://ragbrai.com/about/charter-services/. Included in the service is transporting your bike via a large truck or moving van. The charter “biggies” are Pork Belly, Brancel, Bubba’s, etc., but all on the list will do a good job for you. Your bike is loaded on the truck Friday night. You and your luggage are transported to Council Bluffs via an air conditioned coach on Saturday morning. The bus usually stops for a lunch break. Keokuk will also be selling bag lunches for the ride.

The City of Keokuk is selling weeklong parking passes via their website. The application can be found at https://keokukragbrai.com/weeklong-parking-application/. All overnight towns have websites and most pass-through towns have Facebook pages. All are good sources of information. Trek2300 listed an excellent sequence of operation, read it closely.

Vona K, June 3, 2019 at 11:47 pm

Hi, we will be driving from Keokuk to the start line on Saturday. We are offering a ride for a per person cost of $80 (or the best offer we will receive) in a minivan. If you are interested, let me know! 🙂

Vlad Yusseem, June 4, 2019 at 9:38 am

Hi Vona,
do you still have space for 2 from Keokuk to CB? We are father and son team from Toronto and would love to join.
Thank you!

Shanda Volmer, June 4, 2019 at 1:56 pm

Hi Vona,
Do you have space for 2 from Keokuk to CB? My husband and I are looking for a ride to the start.
Thanks!
Shanda

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015