RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

2011 Mileage Goal?

Its time for those New Year Resolutions

What is your personal mileage goal for 2011?
I hope to ride 3,000 by 12/31/2011,
500 by 3/31, (doable in the sunny south but maybe not in snowy Iowa)
1200 to 1500 by Ragbrai,
450+/- at Ragbrai,
850 to 650 after Ragbrai 

Best Wishes to all in 2011!

82 Replies

jwsknk, January 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm

indianafrank said: Hope to do 3,500 to 4,000, but it depends on whether it rains a lot and whether it floods here. Floods can mess up an entire season.

Better hurry with the end of the world coming up again. Harold Camping, President of Family Radio, predicts that “we can know from the Bible alone that the date of the rapture of believers will take place on” 2011-MAY-2011. His previous estimate was 1994-SEP-06 which seems to have failed. if he misses he does have a back-up, if his Sept 29th 2011date is right, then we should be able to get the miles in

indianafrank, January 4, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Cr@p, I forgot about the end of the world on May 21. Well, let’s just hope that Sept. 29 date is the right one. I’ll still be able to get 3,500 in by then.

jwsknk, January 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm

indianafrank said: Cr@p, I forgot about the end of the world on May 21. Well, let’s just hope that Sept. 29 date is the right one. I’ll still be able to get 3,500 in by then.

He has an October 21 date too, just in case. Can’t be wrong all the time, can he?

Sandaltan ., January 4, 2011 at 3:51 pm

indianafrank said: Cr@p, I forgot about the end of the world on May 21. Well, let’s just hope that Sept. 29 date is the right one. I’ll still be able to get 3,500 in by then.

Just in case he is right this time I think I will begin to reduce the supply of adult beverages I have in the basement.  Fireside Nut Brown should go well with tonight’s oriental dinner.

RIDE RIGHT

jwsknk, January 4, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Sandaltan said:

indianafrank said: Cr@p, I forgot about the end of the world on May 21. Well, let’s just hope that Sept. 29 date is the right one. I’ll still be able to get 3,500 in by then. Just in case he is right this time I think I will begin to reduce the supply of adult beverages I have in the basement.  Fireside Nut Brown should go well with tonight’s oriental dinner. RIDE RIGHT

“Drink up,” said Ford, “you’ve got three pints to get through.”

“Three pints?” said Arthur. “At lunchtime?”

The man next to ford grinned and nodded happily. Ford ignored him. He said, “Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.”

“Very deep,” said Arthur, “you should send that in to the Reader’s Digest. They’ve got a page for people like you.”

“Drink up.”

“Why three pints all of a sudden?”

“Muscle relaxant, you’ll need it.”

Michrider !!!, January 4, 2011 at 5:14 pm

jwsknk said:

He has an October 21 date too, just in case. Can’t be wrong all the time, can he?

A senior at the University of Kentucky was
overheard saying … “When the end of the world comes, I hope to be in  Kentucky “
When asked
why, he replied, “I’d rather be in Kentucky because everything happens in Kentucky 20 years later than in the rest of the civilized world.”

knees36, January 4, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Michrider said:

jwsknk said:

He has an October 21 date too, just in case. Can’t be wrong all the time, can he?   A senior at the University of Kentucky was overheard saying … “When the end of the world comes, I hope to be in  Kentucky “ When asked why, he replied, “I’d rather be in Kentucky because everything happens in Kentucky 20 years later than in the rest of the civilized world.”  

Heck,  I’m inviting all RAGBRAIer’s, past and present, the whole shebang, to  Woodbine, Iowa, on Saturday, September 24th, 2011 for our annual Applefest celebration.  We might as well go down “happy”…eating apple pie, gawking at pristine hot rods and street dancing on Main Street or just walking around on the original brick of US#30…(a.k.a. Lincoln Highway!!!)  We should be able to accomodate  everyone of us if we’re in a standing position in the street…or sitting on a curb somewhere in town…Mich!!! P.S.  Bring your bikes.  There’s lots of neat roads to go cruizin’ on!!!   

Lowrydr, January 5, 2011 at 5:04 pm

knees36,

My crew used to come out there and do the AppleFest ride that was orginized by D. Stoner. I’ve still got one or two shirts from it, of course I can’t fit a L anymore. That was 15+ years ago.
The Corn Palace was (and I figure still is) a great place to grab a cold one.

knees36, January 5, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Lowrydr said: knees36, My crew used to come out there and do the AppleFest ride that was orginized by D. Stoner. I’ve still got one or two shirts from it, of course I can’t fit a L anymore. That was 15+ years ago.The Corn Palace was (and I figure still is) a great place to grab a cold one.

Yes, Denny Stoner was the man who organized the Applefest Tour rides, usually with various routes…short, medium and longer mileages…your choice, over the loess hills to Magnolia, Mondamin, Little Sioux and River Sioux and on to Pisgah and back to Woodbine in Harrison County.  At least one year we went east over to Panama (in Shelby County) and back, but in the last few years there has been no organized ride, but riders have continued to show up anyway and ride, probably over and through the Loess Hills.  Many of them would wind up at the Corn Palace in Woodbine for “rehydrating.”  The Corn Palace is still going strong.  I believe it was first started by the Rollos family, emigrants from Greece.  They had three children, Fodius, George and Helen, who were all older than I.  They also used to close the place up once a month on Wednesday nights and supervise/sponsor (at no charge) an alcohol free “mixer” dance with juke-box music (free of charge) for us junior-high and high school teeny-boppers…really nice of them to do that!!! Helen was the youngest of the children and  I believe they may have done that, partly for her. Yep, the Corn Palace is still quite the place to socialize. 

Bartaped, January 6, 2011 at 9:28 am

Ah the Corn Palace! It is owned by a high school buddy of mine. When i was growing up it was the only place in town that we gathered to shoot pool & play Fooseball. It was own then by Harry “Bud”Vaughn. His son was a friend of mine. He would close the place on Sat. night and His son him and i would head for the Little Sioux river to fish. We would bring gunny sacks of fish back, clean them and then he had fish frys the next Sat. night, the Place would be standing room only.

Just some Woodbine history…….. wish i was there this morning it is warmer there than here………lol

knees36, January 6, 2011 at 10:51 am

Bartaped said: Ah the Corn Palace! It is owned by a high school buddy of mine. When i was growing up it was the only place in town that we gathered to shoot pool & play Fooseball. It was own then by Harry “Bud”Vaughn. His son was a friend of mine. He would close the place on Sat. night and His son him and i would head for the Little Sioux river to fish. We would bring gunny sacks of fish back, clean them and then he had fish frys the next Sat. night, the Place would be standing room only. Just some Woodbine history…….. wish i was there this morning it is warmer there than here………lol

Bartaped (a.k.a. Mark)…Good to hear from you again.  I was afraid that you got stuck in some deep mountain snow in CO.  It isn’t very warm here in Iowa, so  it must be a real “blast” in CO.  Take care and hope to see you in Woodbine later this year…maybe at the old stomping grounds…the Corn Palace.  Knees.

knees36, January 6, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Lowrydr and Bartaped…imagine the Corn Palace if RAGBRAI ever “overnighted” (probalby never) or as a “pass through”  (maybe) town.  It would be a sensation to RAGBRAI’ers and Woodbiner’s alike and a place for many ‘a’ memory!

toadhead, January 6, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Rode 1600 my first year (2007) then 2400 in 2008 (also my first RAGBRAI in 2008)….  1200 in 2009, including RAGBRAI….  (I call that the “dark year”)  The goal for 2009 was 3000….  EPIC FAIL….  So I didn’t know what to set for a goal for 2010….  Ended up with 3100….  Not sure what my goal for 2011 is, but it will be to top 3100….

“Bicycle Bill”, January 7, 2011 at 1:13 am

Knees, for some reason I want to say that RAGBRAI did go through Woodbine in the past; probably sometime back in the late ’80s.  Reference to a “Corn Palace” (and no, not the one in Mitchell, SD) sticks in my memory.

-“BB”-

jwsknk, January 7, 2011 at 8:12 am

“Bicycle Bill” said: Knees, for some reason I want to say that RAGBRAI did go through Woodbine in the past; probably sometime back in the late ’80s.  Reference to a “Corn Palace” (and no, not the one in Mitchell, SD) sticks in my memory.-“BB”-

Not 1 I have been on, so if it did it was 1-9 or 11

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI