RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

2011 Mileage Goal?

Its time for those New Year Resolutions

What is your personal mileage goal for 2011?
I hope to ride 3,000 by 12/31/2011,
500 by 3/31, (doable in the sunny south but maybe not in snowy Iowa)
1200 to 1500 by Ragbrai,
450+/- at Ragbrai,
850 to 650 after Ragbrai 

Best Wishes to all in 2011!

82 Replies

knees36, January 7, 2011 at 7:55 pm

jwsknk said:

“Bicycle Bill” said: Knees, for some reason I want to say that RAGBRAI did go through Woodbine in the past; probably sometime back in the late ’80s.  Reference to a “Corn Palace” (and no, not the one in Mitchell, SD) sticks in my memory.-“BB”-

Not 1 I have been on, so if it did it was 1-9 or 11

Beebs…between Skunky and  I we can definitely conclude that RAGBRAI has never been through Woodbine…yet.  Skunky is certain that they didn’t go through my hometown on RAG I through IX and on XI and “silly old me” followed RAG through the DM Register those first eight years and would have rejoiced (and remembered it) if it had gone through Woodbine .  I’ve been on every RAG beginning with IX and we didnt go through Woodbine during any of those rides.  The closest we may have come was on IX (my first RAG)…starting at Missouri Valley and going up through Magnolia and on up to Pisgah then on to Moorhead, Soldier, Ute and on to Mapleton for the overnight…and then on XI starting at Onawa and going through Turin, Soldier, Dunlap, Earling, Panama, Westphalia and on to Harlan for the overnight.   Actually, an ideal ride that would include Woodbine would be starting in Onawa, then on through Turin, Moorhead to Pisgah OR Onawa and then on through Blencoe, River Sioux, Little Sioux, then on to Pisgah, Woodbine, Panama, Westphalia or Portsmouth, and an overnight in Harlan.  (Maybe that will be part of the route for RAG 40!!!)  Woodbine has two very nice county roads coming into it from the west…but it’s a real problem going on east out of Woodbine.  That county road is newly paved, but just getting out of Woodbine to head on east includes some serious safety concerns for cyclists…there’s two sets of railroad tracks with the lower set of tracks being very busy, getting onto busy US#30 and crossing the Boyer River bridge, and turning left across the left lane of US#30 traffic just  after crossing the bridge so we could continue east on CR#F32…and all of this in a matter of a distance of 100+ yards or so.  It would take a very concentrated effort by law enforcement to  get cyclists safely through that maze of traffic that would include trains going north or south and all of the vehicles wanting to use US#30 going north or south.    In any event, we’ll see what’s happening for this year in less about three weeks!!!  Cheers!!!

knees36, January 7, 2011 at 8:02 pm

jwsknk said:

“Bicycle Bill” said: Knees, for some reason I want to say that RAGBRAI did go through Woodbine in the past; probably sometime back in the late ’80s.  Reference to a “Corn Palace” (and no, not the one in Mitchell, SD) sticks in my memory.-“BB”-

Not 1 I have been on, so if it did it was 1-9 or 11

Yes,  I’ve been through Mitchell, SD, and had to laugh because (at the time) there was a sign that said, “The only town in the USA that has a Corn Palace” or something of that nature.  I thought to myself, “Bubba, you must have never been through Woodbine, Iowa.”  Ours might even be the original, who knows for sure???!!!

Davy Sprocket, January 7, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Can’t say I have ever been there knees, but you are starting to make Woodbine sound like an attractive destination.  Do you get commission from the chamber of commerce?  LOL

knees36, January 7, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Davy Sprocket said: Can’t say I have ever been there knees, but you are starting to make Woodbine sound like an attractive destination.  Do you get commission from the chamber of commerce?  LOL

Hey, don’t  I wish!  If it was a high-paying proposition the first thing  I’d do is send some of that easy money on to GU and specify that restrooms be installed under the home bleachers, especially for old guys like me that have that sudden urge in colder weather!!!  Hoping all is well with you down in L-town!!!  Maybe we’ll go through there this year on RAG!!!

But, yes, I have to admit,  I do like my old hometown…a lot!!!   It was a great place in which to grow up and it would make a nice pass through town for RAG with about 1,500 population, with an active group of town leaders, a neat weekly paper called “The Woodbine Twiner”  (how many towns have a weekly paper named “The Twiner”?) and lots of churches for RAG lunches!!!
Go Tigers!!!

Davy Sprocket, January 7, 2011 at 9:38 pm

LOL.  You mean you don’t value those high dollar porta-potties…..I mean KYBOs?
I will never understand why they didn’t build real bathrooms for the home team.  I mean heck, they have them for the visiting team.

I think there is a good chance that the ride will go WAY south this year.  It has been a while and there is no doubt that our blistering economy could use the boost.

knees36, January 7, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Davy Sprocket said: LOL.  You mean you don’t value those high dollar porta-potties…..I mean KYBOs?I will never understand why they didn’t build real bathrooms for the home team.  I mean heck, they have them for the visiting team. I think there is a good chance that the ride will go WAY south this year.  It has been a while and there is no doubt that our blistering economy could use the boost.

You mean that the visiting team has indoor plumbing?  Dang!!!  Still, it would be a cold day in “Hades” before  I’d go over to the visiting bleachers just so  I could p** in comfort…especially after all of the cornfields  I’ve helped to fertilize every last full week in July!!!  Cheers!!! 

Davy Sprocket, January 7, 2011 at 9:49 pm

LOL.  Cheers knees.  There is no justice in the urinary world.  ;-)

knees36, January 7, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Davy Sprocket said: LOL.  Cheers knees.  There is no justice in the urinary world.  ;-)

Cool Davy…we just have to go with the flow!!! LOL  

trknight, January 8, 2011 at 5:59 am

In 2010 I set a goal of 5,000 miles and made it in early December while at the NFR in Las Vegas (great cycling around there, by the way!!).  That, after ~750 in ’07 (started cycling after major knee surgery), 1,700 in ’08 and 3,900 in ’09 (1st RAGBRAI)  For 2011, rather than setting a specific mileage goal, it’s going to be more of a fitness goal and let the miles fall where they may.  With that, I’m still anticipating anywhere between 3,000 to 6,000 miles.  This year I want to spend more time in the kayak and around the campfire but still keep the legs in shape to do 5-10 benefit century rides and, of course, RAGBRAI.

“Bicycle Bill”, January 8, 2011 at 4:35 pm

You’re correct, knees.  I was thinking about RAGBRAI IX and XI.  Both of those rides went through the towns you listed; some of these — such as Pisgah, Magnolia, and Beebeetown — are also towns which were mentioned by name in various songs by then-hot country singer C.W. McCall (who was born Bill Fries and originally called Audubon IA home).

Since Woodbine was also mentioned by name — along with other towns such as Redline, Ricketts, Jacksonville, Fiscus, Correctionville, and Sloan — in the lyrics of the song “Sloan” (it’s about his old companion hound dog; look it up if you don’t know/remember the song) I somehow got the impression over the years that we had in fact gone through there.

And after much consideration, the mists cleared and the “Corn Palace” that is stuck in my memory resurfaced as a much touted, knocked-together-specifically-for-the-day souvenir stand that was then decorated with ears and stalks of corn in one of the pass-through towns.  While I can’t remember the precise year or the name of the town itself, I believe this was also a town that featured one of the first appearance of the traveling group of “Nuns on the Run” — a group of guys who dressed up as nuns and performed some of the songs from the Whoopie Goldberg movie “Sister Act” — so it would have been a year or so after the release of the film.

-“BB”-

knees36, January 8, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Hello Beebs.  I just got back from Woodbine’s Rose Vista visiting my mom…yes,  I remember the Singing Nuns very well.  My first encounter with those talented ladies was in Danbury, I believe, (Sioux City to Ida Grove) sometime in the mid-to-late 80’s maybe.  I think they were introduced as the Singing Nuns from Danbury…(which is a strong Roman Catholic town and neat as a pin.)  They were terrific and  I was convinced they were real nuns, but my boss, who was a native of Danbury and a Catholic, said, “I don’t think they’re real nuns”, with a big smile on his face.  But they were definitely not “guys”, or  I was blinded by their talent and fun spirits and falsetto voices!!!  I saw them again at the Alton city park  ( if memory serves me right) a few years later and then the last time that  I can remember seeing them was in the Battle Creek city park (Sergeant Bluff to Ida Grove) not too many years ago.   I hope they continue to sing as a group because they were very good and very entertaining, especially for a group such as RAGBRAI.  I’ve been through all of the towns you’ve mentioned…Redline and Fiscus are tiny, tiny towns (primarily just a crossroads) located northeast of Harlan.  Redline is straight north of Jacksonville while Fiscus is split in two by the Shelby and Audubon county lines.  That must be interesting for the folks in that town.  When  I make my weekly trip to Woodbine to see Mom  I sometimes take the slower/longer/relaxed route through Ricketts, (they even had a nice little bank there until recently and have a  very nice city park), then on through Charter Oak, Ute, Soldier, Moorhead and Pisgah, sometimes Magnolia and then on to Woodbine.  Correctionville and Sloan are up in Woodbury County…not far  from Sioux City and are nice little Iowa towns. How  I wish there were  some of the good entertaining commercials like the “Old Home Fill-er Up and Keep on Truckin’ Ca-fe.”  Those were the good ol’ days!!!  Later.  Cheers.

Sandaltan ., January 8, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Mavis was my favorite…how about you knees??  Something about the way she snapped her gum.

RIDE RIGHT

knees36, January 8, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Sandaltan said: Mavis was my favorite…how about you knees??  Something about the way she snapped her gum. RIDE RIGHT

…and winked those big blue eyes!!!   But  I liked it when “Momma” got in between Mavis and CW in his truck at the drive-in the-atre in Pisgah too…just fun stuff!!!

“Bicycle Bill”, January 9, 2011 at 4:13 am

knees36 said:

Sandaltan said: Mavis was my favorite…how about you knees??  Something about the way she snapped her gum. RIDE RIGHT

…and winked those big blue eyes!!!   But  I liked it when “Momma” got in between Mavis and CW in his truck at the drive-in the-atre in Pisgah too…just fun stuff!!!

C.W. liked her too — mentioned her in two songs that I can think of:
• Old Home Fill’er-Up and Keep On A-Truckin’ Cafe … where he described
her as being “built like a burlap bag full of bobcats — she had it
together!”

• Audubon
… where he talked about the truckstop waitress “with a
fairly new motor on a rebuilt chassis”
who could handle them truckers;
a little later in the song he said she was a small woman:
“…weighed 98 pounds, put on quite a show;
remind ya’ of a couple of Cub Scouts trying
to set up a Sears Roebuck pup tent”.

And she was ready for most anything:
“There was no proposition that she couldn’t handle,
Next to her there was nothing that could hold a candle;
Not a helluva lot upstairs but from there on down, Disneyland!”

And I recall meeting the lady who played “Mavis” in the TV commercials —
at least she claimed to be the woman who played “Mavis”; I didn’t know,
I’d never seen the commercials — another year when we went through
Soldier and Ute, I think it was 1987.

-“BB”-

dbrink, January 10, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I’m hoping for 2,500 this year.

Viewing 15 replies - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI