RAGBRAI LI Day Passes are still available!

2012 route

this route aint no good.Why did they not start from the border,and there does not seem to be any hills much.At least not a potters hill.And 8 days.Why not 7?

23 Replies

Michrider !!!, January 29, 2012 at 9:51 am

7 days, 8 towns including start, overnights and end towns!

knees36, January 29, 2012 at 10:17 am

Very few people stay overnight in the ending (8th) town…they usually need to (or want to) head back home ASAP. Some of us stay overnight in the ending town, there’s usually some home grown entertainmnet, a “last dance”, and a time to wind down or to pack up their panniers and head into the next state. I almost always stay overnight in the ending town for some of the above reasons (I’ve enjoyed going over into the Illinois a few times to follow the “old Mississipp” for a day or so) and really enjoy the quieter time in the ending town before heading back home on the Sunday after RAGBRAI.

Amanda, January 29, 2012 at 10:55 am

This route is officially deemed Princess Approved. :)

timmer, January 29, 2012 at 12:00 pm

The only i seen about the route I didnt like about it was Marshalltown the uptown area and the housing around it is not all that great .Dont get me wrong I work up there in town and there is alot of nice poeple in the area but it will be to spread out .And if your from the area poeple know what im talking about with Marshalltown. There alot of drugs in that town!!!!!!!

jwsknk, January 29, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Last time there we ended up having to call the cops outrigger where we were. A couple of local punks. The cops knew exactly who they were when we told them what they were driving.

Moriah52, January 29, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Not only are there lot of drugs in the town, it is THE city/town in IA with the highest rate of illegals, highest crime rate/capita of population, and one of the highest _welfare_ cities in IA. Way to go, RAGBRAI! This year’s route, (for the most part) mimics all of these traits!! How pathetic! This is how you wish to _show_ off this wonderful state to the rest of the world!?. This is the most outrageous routes, I have seen in RAGBRAI’s history, and I am a lifelong Iowan, and proud of my state, for the most part. This route will backfire in our faces and unfortunately show the very high incidence of the uncontrollable illegal immigration problem that has plagued this state unmercifully, the maniputated/out of control welfare fraud of this wonderful state and 8 of the highest crime rate small towns in IA. First reponders and State /local police will definately have thier hands full this year!( Riders, BEWARE!) Such a sorry day for the STATE of IOWA and RAGBRAI when this outrageous and pathetic route was announced. A very poor attempt , at the sake of an unsuspecting and awesome group of indivduals, to try to boost the economies of these DANGEROUS towns! Be very careful riders, when you close your eyes to sleep at night…

rjjensenia, January 29, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Moriah

Not sure how to respond to that diatribe, but I do I think you are in the extreme minority with those views. As a lifelong Iowan I am proud of all of Iowa. I think every one can feel quite safe on ragbrai when they close their eyes to sleep at night.

BTW I see you have been a member of this forum for all of 15 minutes.

rjj

Tony, January 29, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Seminole this is a social ride. To understand it, you have to ride it first. Then you will, “Get It”. The route changes yearly to show riders a different part of Iowa. By doing so. It shares the economic impact RAGBRAI brings the state to all communities. About 1/3 of the riders each year are new to the event. RAGBRAI is about meeting the people of Iowa, having fun, and pie. If you want a challenge try ride with more serious cyclist. Try TOMRV.

Moriah I have to say, “breath in breath out”. Yes Marshalltown has a high per capita of both illegals and crime. Its a problem nation wide. But I don’t see it effecting cyclist staying overnight in Marshalltown. We will ride in have a good time partying with the locals and enjoying there hospitality. One of the things about RAGBRAI is the riders talk to locals about there lives. They want to know about Iowa and its friendly citizens. Both good and bad stories. These stories radiate out to the world. So its a good thing for RAGBRAI to come to ANY Iowa town. RAGBRAI helps communities. This may be the turning point for Marshalltown. So be a part of the solution and not the naysayer.

timmer, January 29, 2012 at 1:33 pm

It is true what this person is saying. I have done three ragbrais and its a pretty poor pick for a town . Word to the wise keep your bikes locked up!!!!!!Me myself on ragbrai I prefer a smaller towns that way everything isnt so wide spread. They should have went nevada instead of marshalltown and viton instead of cedar Rapids cause marshalltown to cedar rapids could turn in to a 100 mile day very easy depending on where a person stays

Bobthebiker, January 29, 2012 at 2:27 pm

The stretch from Anamosa to Maquoketa on the Grant Wood Scenic Byway is one of my favorite rides. Anywhere. Period.

BillPierce, January 29, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Let’s put things in perspective. Some of Iowa has a feel that is frozen in time like something out of Mayberry from 50 years ago. Other towns are more like the place you probably live: people lock their doors at night and there are a few bad actors you should watch out for. However, I assure you that no matter where RAGBRAI stays you will receive some of the warmest hospitality you have ever experienced.

cyclingdogz, January 29, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I bet the sun will still be hot and the beer will still be cold!

SSC1, January 29, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I like the way that cyclingdogz thinks!

ehlent, January 29, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I agree in that I was wishing for a different route. This year will be extremely flat, and that is a concern. However, other than that, I think it will be a very good year. As for how easy or difficult the ride will be, that cannot be determined yet because the hardest part of any ragbrai is the weather.

Ragbrai Nation, January 29, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I think the stars aligned perfectly. Nice job, T.J.!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters