PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

2012 Training Regimen

As 2011 RAGBRAI approaches — my first — I’m stretching out the rides into those long distance trials.  80 miles Saturday and again on Sunday in 100+ heat, solo.  I love to ride, but after about 40-50 miles, my mind ceases to be entertained by the beautiful countryside and the ride becomes something other than fun.

So here’s the plan for 2012:  the wife bakes up a nice pie, cuts it into 5 slices; the kids load up their super soakers;  and they grab some lemonade and umbrella and head out in the car, parking by the side of the road every 15 miles to simulate a RAGBRAI pass-thru town.  Perhaps even a mini beer garden in the front yard when I return home.  Gotta do something to keep it interesting.

Eagerly looking forward to the end of the solo rides and sharing the road with 10,000 of my closest/newest friends.  Twelve days!

2 Replies

getbent, July 11, 2011 at 8:10 am

I bring music for those long rides, but agree that it’s not like RAGBRAI. Can I borrow your family to set up for my rides as well?

BackInTheSaddleAgain, July 11, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Getbent, we have some sort of gnat infestation in our house that came in from the garden with the veggies, and your screen id has made me smack my monitor 3 times today!

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014