PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

2017 – Lansing – Where did everyone go?

Rolled in about 2:00. Town was dead. Was I that far behind? Did most opt out of the last day? What happened?

20 Replies

John Richardson, February 5, 2018 at 4:03 pm

Clark, People ask me when I started riding again if I had some kind of a death wish. I refuse to live in fear and none of us are guaranteed tomorrow. I always ride as safe as possible and make myself as visible as possible. Cycling a great distance in traffic has to be a personal decision that only you can make. To me the rewards are well worth the risk. Last year I rode a total of 9,265 miles and even competed in the 4,300 mile Trans Am Bike Race without an incident. I hope you continue with your plan and have a safe memorable ride.

W Fanning, February 6, 2018 at 6:50 am

John Richardson congratulations on your fantastic year.. I rode RAGBRAI last year for the first time.. what a phenomenal time I had.. I’ve already signed up this year.. hopefully some time in the near future.. I would like to do the Trans Am Bike ride.. not race.. What I was thinking was ride Astoria OR to Newton KS.. get a ride to the start of RAGBRAI.. then at the end continue on to Yorktown VA.. I think that would make a perfect summer… I’ve been fortunate not to ever been hit by a car or truck.. but the fear is there.. I agree I can’t let it stop me from what I love doing.. Having fun on 2 wheels…

John Richardson, February 6, 2018 at 9:01 am

That sounds like a great plan. I think riding the Trans Am route should be on every cyclist’s bucket list. I’m also sure the Bike Shop in Newton would be very helpful in helping you make the arrangements to get to the start of RAGBRAI.

Clyde Halsrud, February 6, 2018 at 11:39 am

First mention I have heard regarding the Air Force rolling in on the last day. I know their presence was felt throughout the week with all the people they helped. Will plan on taking in that sight next year.

Jill Ellenbecker, February 9, 2018 at 7:47 pm

I rolled in about that time, too. I never really made it in to the town festivities. It’s not that I didn’t want to, but by the time the person picking me up figured out where I was, he was so exasperated and ready to leave town. It was a small town and tough for vehicles to get in and out. We ended up leaving by some circuitous back route (thank goodness for GPS).

Viewing 5 replies - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014