2017 Overnight Towns Guess

I know this thread will get replaced when the 2017 topic is created but with registration opening in 3 weeks, why not.

My guess, a northern route but a little further south then the last northern route that got so close to Minnesota. A couple of larger towns also since last year so many were small.

Hawarden
Cherokee
Lake City
Ames
Toledo
Waterloo
Manchester
Dubuque

This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by TJ Juskiewicz.

137 Replies

T. Gap Woo, November 11, 2016 at 8:29 pm

KenH: So, a picture of a riverboat accompanies the announcement of registration opening next week. Can anyone read the name from the inconveniently low resolution picture or recognize the boat? Might be a clue

The riverboat is The Pearl Button. The self-proclaimed pearl button capital of the world is Muscatine. The fact that Mark Twain, famous riverboat pilot, spent summers in Muscatine, lends credence to the guess that RAGBRAI 45 will finish in Muscatine. If we didn’t finish there in RAGBRAI 44, I’d say this was an excellant clue.

Will we finish in the same city two consecutive years? Who, besides TJ, knows? At this point, I think it’s a toss-up between Muscatine and Keokuk, with the edge going to Keokuk. In addition to the rationale I gave in another thread, it’s been about 25 years (RAGBRAI 20 in 1992) since Keokuk was an end town. Ahhhh, don’t you just love the speculation?

BTW, KenH, congratulations to your Cubbies from this frustrated Cleveland Indians fan.

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

KenH, November 14, 2016 at 10:34 am

I have to agree that if the things we route guessers are fixated on mean anything a Muscatine or Keokuk finish seems very likely. Keokuk would require doing a southern route two years in a row which would be a break with tradition or else a diagonal route which has not been done recently. Muscatine would be an end town two years in a row, another break with tradition. As I’ve said previously Muscatine was the best end town yet in my very limited experience so I would vote for it! And that counts for exactly nothing!!

Only a Cubs fan could both know exactly how you feel and be apologetic that our success had to come at your expense. If only we had beaten the Mets to take the pennant and the Yankees or White Sox to win the Series! Then we would have no remorse although I don’t personally subscribe to the Chicago sports rule that one must hate the Sox to love the Cubs and vice versa. May the Tribe win next year!

mootsman, November 17, 2016 at 6:56 am

Judging by the “registration-is-open” post the picture of the Peal Button Riverboat it does point to ending in Muscatine for a 2nd straight year. That boat is out of Muscatine. Add that to all the Mark Twain references in the logo announcement video. Twain lived in Muscatine one summer. I do hope for the northern route ending in Dubuque still.

KenH, November 17, 2016 at 9:01 am

Here’s a thought, something that some of us have advocated in the past. Muscatine is an overnight town on Thursday. We ride along the river to Burlington and overnight there on Friday. And then we ride along the river to end in Keokuk on Saturday! Someone in this thread or the other 2017 speculation thread mentioned that TJ had made some references on Twitter or somewhere like that to the fact that the Tour will visit three countries in 2017. Could mean nothing but if it was indeed a hint at some quintessential “threeness” about RAGBRAI 2017 I can’t think of a better way than to take a 3 city tour of Old Man River. Besides, I got the distinct impression this year that while Muscatine was happy to be the end town and did a fine job of it, they really wished they could be an overnight town so we’d spend more money there, which we would be happy to do….

If this were the plan we’d do around 50 miles on Friday and 40 on Saturday. Is there a plausible route from the western border that keeps the total under 500 if we do only 90-ish miles the last two days?

jimval, November 18, 2016 at 10:29 pm

No guesses on the route but the riverboat in the logo looks an awful like the Twilight in Le Claire.

Jim

Papa T, November 26, 2016 at 7:29 pm

What happened to the Orange city, Pella crap that TJ was teasing with??

Amanda, November 27, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Papa T, I think it’s still a possibility!

KenH, November 28, 2016 at 8:47 am

At this point, for those of us standing outside the RAGBRAI office in the cold with our noses pressed up against the windows looking in, the route effectively exists in a quantum superposition of all possible town choices. Orange City/Pella/Keokuk(?) is definitely a possibility and the fact that there has not been a diagonal route recently might argue in its favor. Pella is a pass through town I remember fondly from 2013 and it would do nicely as an overnight….

jwsknk, November 28, 2016 at 10:20 am

please, no orange city and pella. I really think they will stay north of 30 this year, maybe even north of 20

mootsman, December 2, 2016 at 1:48 pm

Entered the route guessing contest with my original guess (preference) despite all the hints it will end in Muscatine again…

Hawarden
Cherokee
Lake City
Ames
Toledo
Waterloo
Manchester
Dubuque

cyduke, December 2, 2016 at 2:58 pm

jwsknk,
Jim how about north of Hwy 9? would that be north enough?

I decided a diagonal route. We’ll see.

jimval, December 3, 2016 at 10:32 pm

This is combination wish list/guess/I really think the boat is the twilight of Le Claire.

Sergeant Bluff
Lake view
Coon Rapids
Ankeny
Newton
Amana
Dewitt
Le Claire

Sandaltan ., December 4, 2016 at 2:34 pm

I see the ride ending in Lansing. Or………it could have just been fuzz in my navel.

RIDE RIGHT

jwsknk, December 5, 2016 at 7:45 am

well cyduke, I did put in a guess with 6 towns on or above highway 9. so yeah, that would be far enough 🙂

stuckinmizzou, December 5, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Missouri Valley
Denison
Jefferson
Ames
Grinnell
Vinton
Tipton
LeClaire

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015