2017 Overnight Towns Guess

I know this thread will get replaced when the 2017 topic is created but with registration opening in 3 weeks, why not.

My guess, a northern route but a little further south then the last northern route that got so close to Minnesota. A couple of larger towns also since last year so many were small.

Hawarden
Cherokee
Lake City
Ames
Toledo
Waterloo
Manchester
Dubuque

137 Replies

derek duncan, January 17, 2017 at 10:02 pm

paednoch2 – You can prove the naysayers wrong… just post up your own prediction! ( you don’t have to tell us which ones you are already sure of, nor your method)

Van, January 17, 2017 at 10:33 pm

I think we are going down a cruise of a river basin from Rock Rapids to Keokuk. A diagonal route that we haven’t done in quite a while. Following is my guess for this year.

Rock Rapids
Spencer 72 miles
Humbolt 76 miles
Ames 65 miles
Pella 75 miles
Bloomfield 66 miles
Farmington 40 miles
Keokuk 31 miles
TOTAL 440 Miles Routing may change this of course.

4 more days til we figure this one out. Regardless of the route, I can’t wait for the weather to improve out here in the Rockies so I can get on the road again.

Ken Reed, January 18, 2017 at 8:11 am

“I have a method of finding out how. I will not share the route info out of respect for TJ and gang.” Seriously, man? Listen, we all have a method of guessing the route. I just try to figure out where we haven’t been in a while, look for anything in the meeting minutes for that town between July to Sept. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. It’s not really a method as it is a hunch.

derek duncan, January 18, 2017 at 11:56 am

One more guess…. Im sticking with the first 4 nights. Im still not happy with the last 3-4. I keep thinking Dubuque is the end. Only a few past overnight towns are within a reasonable last days ride of Dubuque.

Orange City, Iowa
Spencer, Iowa
Algona, Iowa
Clear Lake, Iowa
Cresco, Iowa
Waukon, Iowa
Elkader, Iowa
Dubuque, Iowa

Ken Reed, January 18, 2017 at 12:04 pm

I know I posted this in another thread but I feel it’s relevant here too. If the rumors about Orange City are correct, then I hope they understand all the aspects of RAGBRAI. I respect the fact that they want to be a more “temperate” town but if you are going to have RAGBRAI start there, you’d better be prepared for all of it. When we went through there in 2012, I was highly disappointed in the lack of drinking establishments that were open. I know it was a Sunday, but it’s RAGBRAI. I mean come on!

genefruit, January 18, 2017 at 2:48 pm

I’m guessing that paednoch2’s method is to examine hotel room availability on what would be the day the ride would land in a particular overnight town.

genefruit, January 19, 2017 at 8:01 am

In the latest video (Rogue Bicycle One), the map prominently displays Decorah at the 0:44 mark. Jabba is sitting on Atlantic and says “Bo shudda” or “Welcome” in Huttese. What does this all mean? Likely nothing but red herring but it’s fun.

Ken Reed, January 19, 2017 at 9:24 am

If Atlantic and Decorah were both on the route, that would be a hell of a week. Sign me up for that!

genefruit, January 19, 2017 at 10:24 am

It’s not an unrealistic distance of 431 miles. Might as well include Waukon in the dream.

Missouri Valley
Atlantic
Jefferson
Webster City
Clear Lake
New Hampton
Waukon
Guttenberg

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18585617

Ken Reed, January 19, 2017 at 10:43 am

That’s a route I can get behind.

KenH, January 20, 2017 at 7:46 am

If you look closely in that video you can see Munson trying to slip a thumb drive with the route on it to a droid but he mistakenly hands it to a Dalek instead. Good luck getting the plan back from a Dalek! Foiled again, we’ll just have to wait for TJ to announce it tomorrow :(

He does talk about it a little in one of the recently released Just Go Bike podcasts. From memory he says one of the overnight towns has an “O” in its name. He mentions it (or another town) has a native American name. Someone else suggests it is a two word name which he seems to confirm. This information really narrows it down, eh?

Michrider !!!, January 20, 2017 at 7:51 am

I made my official guess but expect to be proven wrong!!! Tomorrow night we will all know!!!!

BTW, RGBRAI don’t care!!!

Ken Reed, January 20, 2017 at 10:30 am

I have a feeling we are all about to get swerved with the route. I have a feeling TJ’s going to do something with the route that hasn’t done in a while. Just a feeling I’ve had in the last couple days. I’ll be there regardless of where it goes.

Dockat, January 20, 2017 at 4:24 pm

It would be fun if registered riders could vote and democratically choose the route.

Jboz, January 20, 2017 at 6:21 pm

“It would be fun if registered riders could vote and democratically choose the route.”

Fun…maybe. But it would be a logistical nightmare. Reminds me of the line about a camel being a horse that was designed by a committee.

Viewing 15 replies - 121 through 135 (of 137 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLV – 2017’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI