2018 Guess the Route Contest Predictions

Its time to put in what our guesses are for the “Guess the Route” contest. Since this is not a RAGRBRAI ending in a 0 like the 40th, I think they’ll stick with the northern-central-southern route rotation making this year a central route. I’m working on mine. I think this year we’ll be enjoying some of the Iowa’s slightly larger cities. Starting in Council Bluffs, going through Ames and ending in Dubuque. Let’s start putting out our full route predictions we’ll actually enter the contest with!

This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by mootsman.

117 Replies

gbtrektn, November 16, 2017 at 2:07 pm

I’m going with a diagonal trek. Sargent Bluff-Ida Grove-Jefferson-Valley Junction-Newton-Sigourney-Fairfield-Burlington.
Bellevue is past due for an ending too.
FYI… Onawa in the past, hasn’t
submit an application request for RAGBRAI.

Tim McTaggart, November 18, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Is nobody anticipating a route that ends with a Mississippi River tour? We have the eagle that is alleged to be a hint. My guess is the ride will end with an overnight stop on a Mississippi town and end on the Mississippi. How does this sound: overnight at Dubuque and end the ride at Gutenberg?

mootsman, November 19, 2017 at 11:44 am

TM,

A last full day along the Mississippi sounds great and the Eagle could be the hint. Guttenberg though is a northern route end town. We were there in 2014. Plus this is a central route year. I suspect after last year’s traffic jams in tiny Lansing they’ll want to end in a larger town like Dubuque.

jake d, November 28, 2017 at 8:00 pm

It’s awfully quiet out there. Normally by now someone has picked up on some scuttlebutt from a local or a city council meeting. Maybe towns are getting better at keeping a secret, or everyone’s holding out to win the guess the route contest.

Amanda, November 29, 2017 at 6:55 am

I have submitted Onawa as A start town many times. No wonder I don’t win! Thanks for the heads up gbtrektn! I am thinking maybe a Missouri Valley start then. Or possibly Sioux City. No Missouri Valley! That will be the start. Usually I only pay attention to the start town. All the other towns are the journey headed towards the destination! LOL have a great day everyone!

This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Amanda.

cyduke, November 29, 2017 at 8:46 am

I have submitted Onawa as A start town many times. No wonder I don’t win! Thanks for the heads up gbtrektn! I am thinking maybe a Missouri Valley start then. Or possibly Sioux City. No Missouri Valley! That will be the start. Usually I only pay attention to the start town. All the other towns are the journey headed towards the destination! LOL have a great day everyone!

Every year I would have Lansing as my last stop guess, that was until last year…

Amanda, December 4, 2017 at 7:10 am

The guy at the meat counter at my local grocery store said Onawa put their request in so Onawa will be the start. He knows his steaks so I am sure he is right!

Ken Reed, December 6, 2017 at 4:07 pm

It’s been well over a month since my last prediction, so here’s an updated one:
Missouri Valley – Denison – Jefferson – Ames – Newton – Marengo – Mt.Vernon – Clinton

I will probably change it again.

tomthebike, December 8, 2017 at 11:59 am

New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, IOWA……

Michrider !!!, December 10, 2017 at 7:26 am

“I think this year we’ll be enjoying some of the Iowa’s slightly larger cities. Starting in Council Bluffs, going through Ames and ending in Dubuque. Let’s start putting out our full route predictions we’ll actually enter the contest with!”

There’s a contest?

BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!!

RDaryl Daryl, December 10, 2017 at 5:02 pm

Yes, there is an official overnight town guess contest. Search “Guess the Route Contest” on the RAGBRAI website for prior years info. Seems like the blog post announcing this contest should be posted soon as it was posted in early to mid December in past years. In 2009, someone guessed all 8 overnight town correctly – much better than 2006 when the winner correctly guessed only 3 overnight towns.

Amanda, December 10, 2017 at 8:03 pm

In 2006 the first and second place people actually tied with 3 town correct each. To break the tie, the RAGBRAI staff put the two names in a head and drew 1st and 2nd place. I cant remember who got first but I remember who got second place…ME!

Amanda, December 11, 2017 at 6:31 am

It was nicely pointed out to me that my post contains a typo. Two names were put into a hat not a head…. I hope this made you all laugh, just like it made my cousin laugh.

mootsman, December 15, 2017 at 10:29 am

Contest is OPEN. I put in my 1 guess.

T. Gap Woo, December 15, 2017 at 4:51 pm

Tomthebike,

Greetings and felicitations of the season, ragbrai’ers

I like your route:

New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, IOWA……

However, let’s not forget our brethren and sistern who travel from the west: California; Nevada; Utah; Wyoming; and, Nebraska before reaching the promised land of I-O-Way.

I have dusted the snow off of my ever-unreliable crystal and it revealed this route: Missouri Valley; Atlantic; Guthrie Center; Winterset; Chariton; Bloomfield; Keosauqua; and, Keokuk.

All of the talk on other threads about the significance of the eagle in the logo, references to astronauts, etc are just fine examples of TJ’s red herrings, designed to throw us off track (remember all of the Mark Twain/steamboat references last year?).

I’ll go with my crystal’s prediction. We shall see if it’s right when the route is announced next month. If it’s wrong again this year, as it has been in prior years, I may switch to a Magic 8-Ball next year.

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015