The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

2018 Guess the Route Contest Predictions

Its time to put in what our guesses are for the “Guess the Route” contest. Since this is not a RAGRBRAI ending in a 0 like the 40th, I think they’ll stick with the northern-central-southern route rotation making this year a central route. I’m working on mine. I think this year we’ll be enjoying some of the Iowa’s slightly larger cities. Starting in Council Bluffs, going through Ames and ending in Dubuque. Let’s start putting out our full route predictions we’ll actually enter the contest with!

This topic was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  mootsman.

117 Replies

Michrider !!!, December 15, 2017 at 5:08 pm

I have dusted the snow off of my ever-unreliable crystal and it revealed this route: Missouri Valley; Atlantic; Guthrie Center; Winterset; Chariton; Bloomfield; Keosauqua; and, Keokuk.

I like your route and crystal selection method. I wonder how that compares to the magic napkin method. Only problem with the napkin method, is that Sandaltan keeps misplacing it!

This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Michrider !!!.

T. Gap Woo, December 15, 2017 at 8:51 pm

“I wonder how that compares to the magic napkin method. Only problem with the napkin method, is that Sandaltan keeps misplacing it!”

I’ll stack my crystal ball up against any other prediction method any time! It’s just as accurate as other methods. Over the years, I’ve made about 50 guesses and have a success rate of under 20%. One year, I even had 5 of 8 correct and got Zilch for my efforts. Anyone want to buy a used Zilch?

A buddy of mine used sheets of Charmin to make his predictions, but they were always full of (well, you know).

Good luck with your predictions, Michrider. Enjoy the holiday season.

See you along the I-O-Way next year.

KenH, December 16, 2017 at 11:04 am

T. Gap Woo: All of the talk on other threads about the significance of the eagle in the logo, references to astronauts, etc are just fine examples of TJ’s red herrings, designed to throw us off track (remember all of the Mark Twain/steamboat references last year?).

Yeah, I think that sums up the “clues” in the logos most years. One year the number 1973 actually was a significant clue. I did not play this game before that year. Since then I don’t believe there have been any clues at all. But there could be and if there are I suspect they would be as subtle as the tilted mouth on the logo’s eagle. And that could signify a diagonal route, or a finish in Keokuk at least so the old crystal ball may be onto something! My route guess may include Keokuk but that is as much because I would like to ride to Keokuk some year as anything else. There is always the chance that TJ reads these threads and looks at the official route guesses to get ideas to use for future route planning….

Jeff Brune, December 16, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Council Bluffs
Atlantic
Creston
Indianola
Oskaloosa
Bloomfield
Mt. Pleasant
Burlington

reedkennethia, December 17, 2017 at 9:56 am

The Steamboat was an actual clue. The Lady of the Lake boat in Clear Lake looked pretty similar to the one on the logo. Just saying.

cblack, December 17, 2017 at 11:43 am

Council Bluffs Atlantic Perry Des Moines. Oskaloosa. Williamsburg. Iowa City. Davenport

jelly0317, December 17, 2017 at 5:48 pm

Onawa/Denison/Rockwell City/Perry/Marshalltown/Sigourney/Mount Pleasant/Keokuk

stuckinmizzou, December 18, 2017 at 8:24 am

Missouri Valley, Audubon, Jefferson, Ames, Newton, Belle Plaine, Mt. Vernon, Clinton

KenH, December 18, 2017 at 9:05 am

The steamboat in the the logo had a passing resemblance to many steamboats but it looked a lot more like one that operates out of Muscatine. When you think steamboat Clear Lake is not the first town to come to mind and it has no association with Twain that I could find. The steamboat was more of a misdirection than a clue and the Twain thing was pure misdirection.

On the other hand the story of Mt Hosmer in Lansing had a steamboat featured prominently and it has a feel to it not unlike a Twain tale….

bsutliff, December 18, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Missouri valley,dension,jefferson,ames,grinnell,cedar rapids,tipton,davenport.

Sandaltan ., December 18, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Eagle Grove is a cinch, look at the logo!! According to my reading of the Magic Napkin, as you roll into Eagle Grove there will be an Eagle in the grove of oak trees as you climb a gentle hill. Not a real eagle of course but a guy in an eagle suit.

RIDE RIGHT

Michrider !!!, December 19, 2017 at 6:23 am

Eagle Grove is a cinch, look at the logo!! According to my reading of the Magic Napkin, as you roll into Eagle Grove there will be an Eagle in the grove of oak trees as you climb a gentle hill. Not a real eagle of course but a guy in an eagle suit.

ST, I hope that’s not a barbeque sauce stain you’re reading!

BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Michrider !!!.

reedkennethia, December 19, 2017 at 8:22 am

I dunno, I think Eagle Grove is too on the nose and I think it’s too far north for this year.

Amanda, December 19, 2017 at 8:44 am

I agree with Sandaltan. I think Eagle Grove will be a host town. I had my guesses written down on a scrap of paper. I must have thrown it away because I can’t find it!

cyduke, December 19, 2017 at 9:04 am

Onawa(2004), Ida Grove(2006), Rockwell City(1998), Eagle Grove(New), Ames(2008), Vinton(1978), Monticello(1998), Bellevue(2007) 450 miles give or take.

This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  cyduke.

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014