2018 Guess the Route Contest Predictions

Its time to put in what our guesses are for the “Guess the Route” contest. Since this is not a RAGRBRAI ending in a 0 like the 40th, I think they’ll stick with the northern-central-southern route rotation making this year a central route. I’m working on mine. I think this year we’ll be enjoying some of the Iowa’s slightly larger cities. Starting in Council Bluffs, going through Ames and ending in Dubuque. Let’s start putting out our full route predictions we’ll actually enter the contest with!

This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by mootsman.

117 Replies

jwsknk, January 10, 2018 at 7:49 am

last time through Woodward left Perry on 141 to north on 169. Gravel to Bouton. R30 to Woodward. then 210 to Madrid, Slater Huxley and Cambridge. That was before the HTT opened. try that now and so many would go off route on the trail and the bridge would be a total cluster .

Ken Reed, January 10, 2018 at 8:46 am

They went down the trail in 2013 on the Perry to DSM day. There was 40K out there that day.

Scott, January 10, 2018 at 9:11 am

I think cluster on the HTT is the amount of people that would stop at the bridge. I’ll be cheering for a Madrid pass through though, might be able to sneak a night in my own bed.

jwsknk, January 10, 2018 at 9:28 am

A lot of those 40,00 did use the RRVT. If that many tried it on RAGBRAI on the HTT the bridge would probably be like going through a town. walk most of the way because so many stopped to take pictures. So I think that they would avoid doing 210 from Woodward to Madrid. They could do a Perry, Bouton, Woodward, Boone, Ames day, on some ride we did go through the Woodward Resource Center (I think that’s what they call it now) and went north, maybe through Luther. Or even a Perry, MInburn, Granger, Polk City, Sheldahl, Slater, Ames day. Either of those people who know would jump on the trail but the official route would steer you away.

Ken Reed, January 10, 2018 at 9:58 am

Either way, I think we are due to come through the DSM/Ames area. Maybe not DSM itself though.

Groeny82, January 10, 2018 at 12:32 pm

I had no rhyme or reason for my Madrid and Coon Rapids pick. Just looked on a map and found some towns that looked about the right distance away from each other. And I didn’t want to pick a bunch of stops that have been overnights numerous times already, I like to hope we would go to new towns.

TheBus2003, January 10, 2018 at 1:05 pm

I also like Missouri Valley. I believe last start in about 2008. My guesses are:
Missouri Valley
Harlan
Coon Rapids
Ankeny
Grinnell
Iowa City
Monticello
Bellevue

cyduke, January 10, 2018 at 3:33 pm

Can’t imagine the logistics of getting out of “town” but how about Carter Lake as the start? Could roll everyone across the Bob Kerry Pedestrian bridge I guess.

igor, January 11, 2018 at 9:32 pm

Here’s my picks.

Onanwa
Denison
Jefferson
Ames
Marshalltown
Vinton
Anamosa
Dubuque

This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by igor.

Amanda, January 15, 2018 at 11:06 am

ONLY 12 DAYS UNTIL ROUTE ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!!

SO EXCITED!

John Richardson, January 17, 2018 at 10:17 am

I’m with ya Amanda, you really can’t make plans in detail until the route comes out. Only a few more days!

Csprint, January 18, 2018 at 8:41 pm

After some completely unscientific research guesswork, I noticed that Eagle Grove’s high school mascot was “Eagles”, and Guttenberg’s Clayton Ridge, Guttenberg, school mascot was “Eagles”, so I picked Eagle Grove as one of the overnights and Guttenburg for the end town.

This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Csprint.

Evin Thompson, January 19, 2018 at 2:55 pm

With the clues given from the logo and the video:
Onowa- The song Fly Like an Eagle came out in 1977, Onowa was the start town in 1977. The theme this year is Ride like an Eagle.
Dennison – James Hansen from Dennison, is the Director of the Godard Institute of Space Studies.
Jefferson – Loren Shriver, from Jefferson, is an astronaut
Ames – NASA Space laboratory in Ames, critical to our space program
Grinnell – Red and Black on the logo is the same colors as Grinnell College
Cedar Rapids – Rockwell Collins was a major contributor to the space program
Anamosa – The movie easy rider came out in 1969, the same year we landed on the moon. The motorcycle from Easy Rider is at the Motorcycle museum in Anamosa
Clinton – Dale Garder from Clinton, is an astronaut

So this very systematic research and analysis based on the clues, and knowing that all the towns are reasonable distances, makes me believe this is the route.

If this is not the route, I am just throwing darts next year for my guess.

We will know in a week and a wake up

T. Gap Woo, January 19, 2018 at 4:37 pm

Evin Thompson,

Your rationale for a route prediction makes absolutely perfect sense. The tie-in to eagles, astronauts and the space program in general reflects a deep understanding of the issue. The logic is impeccable and you deserve congratulations for your efforts.

Unfortunately, I think that TJ threw out another of his infamous red herrings. Your prediction will go for naught.

I like your dart throwing suggestion, though. I would try it, but I don’t want to put any more holes in the walls. I’ll stick with my ever-unreliable crystal.

We’ll have an answer next Saturday.

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

cyduke, January 19, 2018 at 9:17 pm

Evin, Loren Shriver has ridden RAGBRAI before. I ran into him in a town one year. I think it was 2011-12. He had the info card on his saddle with his name,so I said hi.

Viewing 15 replies - 76 through 90 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015