The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

2019 Route Predictions

I’m only putting out a preferred southern route as I am very sure it will be a southern route. I’ll only put in 3 of the overnight towns and leave the rest for my entry into the “guess the route” contest.

-Council Bluffs
-Des Moines (maybe Osceola, they might be saving Des Moines for RAGBRAI 50)
-Burlington

What are your guesses

This topic was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  mootsman.

32 Replies

reedkennethia, November 13, 2018 at 12:21 pm

I am getting a mid to mid-south to mid-north vibe:
Missouri Valley or Council Bluffs – Atlantic – Greenfield – DSM – Marshalltown – Marion – Montecello – Bellevue

DougHarris, November 13, 2018 at 12:55 pm

A relative newbie/late starter to Ragbrai…4 years so far…

I will say something a little longer but avoiding the Southwest start…

How about Akron start and wander diagonally towards Mt. Pleasant and finally to Keokuk?

I am very familiar with Mt. Pleasant and Keokuk in my younger days and have been hoping the last few years that somehow those areas would be included…

If not Keokuk maybe Burlington…

Regardless of locations/hills/winds/etc….I am in for the ride!

George A, November 14, 2018 at 1:19 pm

Ending in Bellevue would be good. That was the end town for my first RAGBRAI in 1999. I personally like ending in the smaller towns. I hope it’s a long time before we end in Davenport again, my least favorite ending town.

reedkennethia, November 14, 2018 at 2:08 pm

I think you will see RAGBRAI end in D-Port for RAGBGRAI L(50). They stated they were lobbying hard for last years RAGBRAI and RAGBRAI in 2022 so I think it may be a safe bet in a few years.
As far as Bellevue goes, it’s been awhile for them. They were the end town for my first RAGBRAI (2007) as well.

cyduke, November 14, 2018 at 4:25 pm

Bellevue is a great town. Always enjoyed the ride there. First time in ’89 it rained all day, and pretty much spoiled the ending so we came back a couple years later. Of course, finishing there in ’99. The only pleasant day of the ride that year considering what we went through the first six.

KenH, November 15, 2018 at 7:47 am

My least fond memories of RAGBRAI towns are Sioux City and Davenport. I was disappointed to learn that we would return to Davenport so soon this year but they certainly did a much better job this time. I suppose Sioux City could have just had a bad year the one time I was there too but I remain leery of both until proven otherwise!

I’d love to visit Mount Pleasant, the site of my very first official business trip as a Motorola employee back in the day. Motorola got rid of their MP plant a long time ago and of me a few years ago but I still have fond memories of Mount Pleasant. Keokuk is another Iowa town I would love to cycle to/through. This year could be the year for both. I’m not betting on it however!

jwsknk, November 15, 2018 at 10:29 am

CB (last time 41), Harlan, Carroll, Ft Dodge, Hampton, Cedar Falls, Monticello, Clinton (last time 40). Kind of a big arc from just south of center ending just north of center. Although the star, Camp Dodge? that would change everything. Des Moines for Fifty, so a few years off.

jwsknk, November 15, 2018 at 11:41 am

If the star on the vane is Camp Dodge, just north of Des Moines northern Johnston then lets throw a curve ball at the route. Sidney, Corning, Winterset, Camp Dodge, Marshalltown (Still think they need a makeup date for the last rain out) Cedar Falls (UNI colors?) Manchester, Gutenberg.

This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  jwsknk.

George Budiselich, November 15, 2018 at 12:21 pm

This could be turned into a gambling game. lol Kind of like Fantasy Ragbrai instead of football.

Dueywife, November 15, 2018 at 2:44 pm

I’m going to guess way south. Hamburg, Clarinda, Creston, Osceola, Knoxville, Oskaloosa, Mt. Pleasant, Keokuk. I don’t see that they’ve ever started that far south. I’d really like to see a route close to the Missouri this year, we haven’t done the start dip for a couple of years due to how far in the start town has been. I loved going through Knoxville and Oskaloosa in 41.

jwsknk, November 15, 2018 at 3:15 pm

someday TJ should just surprise somebody that put a route out here with a message “you got all 8 right!”

Sandaltan ., November 15, 2018 at 9:03 pm

Skunky, that white star may indeed signify Camp Dodge and Johnston. I believe Major General Tim Orr, Iowa’s AG, would be very supportive of hosting RAGBRAI. He biked his first and only RAGBRAI at a very young age back in 1976 and registered last year but had to cancel.

RIDE RIGHT

reedkennethia, November 16, 2018 at 1:56 pm

I would think if they were to do Camp Dodge, it would be on 50, since it was on the first ride. Just my thought.

mootsman, November 27, 2018 at 8:50 am

Filling in my entry for the “Guess the Route” contest a little more.

-Council Bluffs (Saturday)
-Red Oak (Sunday)
-Osceola (Tuesday, they are saving Des Moines for RAGBRAI 50)
-Mount Pleasant (Friday)
-Burlington (Saturday)

dalen45, November 29, 2018 at 10:08 am

I think its time to start in Council Bluffs again.
Council Bluffs Harlan Carroll Perry Marshalltown Ottumwa Washington Burlington
My guess from last year.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013