PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

2019 Route Predictions

I’m only putting out a preferred southern route as I am very sure it will be a southern route. I’ll only put in 3 of the overnight towns and leave the rest for my entry into the “guess the route” contest.

-Council Bluffs
-Des Moines (maybe Osceola, they might be saving Des Moines for RAGBRAI 50)
-Burlington

What are your guesses

This topic was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  mootsman.

147 Replies

reedkennethia, November 29, 2018 at 12:34 pm

The more I think about this, the more I feel it’s going to stay south. Revised (ever changing): Missouri Valley or Council Bluffs – Atlantic – Greenfield – DSM Area – Pella – Ottumwa – Fairfield – Fort Madison

Portland Cyclist PDX, December 4, 2018 at 4:53 pm

I would love to see a route in the southernmost sections of Iowa. I lived in Iowa for a really long time, but rarely if ever found myself south of Highway 34 when I wasn’t on Interstate 35. I think just once on a trip to Keokuk. I’ve also heard that southern Iowa can be really hilly, so maybe I should be careful what I wish for.

Corey Woodruff, December 6, 2018 at 7:21 am

I’m pulling for an end day in Keokuk since I lived there as a kid and still have family there. So…

Sioux City > Denison > Atlantic > Creston > Indianola > Oskaloosa > Fairfield > Keokuk

FastEddy, December 6, 2018 at 2:19 pm

My tenth year guessing the route. Scored three correct answers last year, by far my best year. Sure do wish that I owned a magic napkin.

Missouri Valley, Audubon, Greenfield, Indianola, Pella, Blakesburg, Mount Pleasant, Burlington.

cyduke, December 6, 2018 at 3:25 pm

I personally like this topic of discussion better than the other one that’s blowing up lately.
Trying to figure out my route predictions. I like the idea of a diagonal route, and to hit at least one new overnight town, and a town we haven’t been to in ages. I’m still thinking Keokuk will be the end town…
That leads me to ask, What are the towns people would like to see host an overnight that maybe haven’t hosted an overnight before or haven’t in years. Eagle Grove, Elkader, Mount Vernon, and Wapello jump out at me. Thoughts?

jelly0317, December 6, 2018 at 4:17 pm

I’m with you on that, cyduke. I promise that I’ve made my last “contribution” to the blow-up. So, here are my obnoxious, troll-like picks for RAGBRAI XLVII: Missouri Valley/Atlantic/Winterset/West Des Moines/Chariton/Bloomfield/Mount Pleasant/Keokuk. I’d agree with three of the cities you mentioned, but I think the lack of a hospital might eliminate Wapello.

reedkennethia, December 6, 2018 at 9:15 pm

Cyduke, I’d really like to go back to Indianola. It’s been a long time for Winterset too. It’s pretty hilly in that area but beautiful scenery by bike.

Sandaltan ., December 6, 2018 at 10:43 pm

Eagle Grove will be an overnight. The Magic Napkin has a coffee stain that appears to be an eagle seen from the back side gliding into a grove of oak trees on a hill.

RIDE RIGHT

reedkennethia, December 7, 2018 at 10:03 am

There seems to be a lot of money on Eagle Grove. I wouldn’t mind a new town (new to me).

Bob Braigar, December 7, 2018 at 11:05 am

Only hotel/motel in eagle grove is the Sandman Motel. This makes it quite unlikely to be an overnight stop IMO.

reedkennethia, December 7, 2018 at 12:22 pm

Leon has only one hotel and we were there a couple years ago and that seemed fine.

Jeff Hansen, December 7, 2018 at 7:56 pm

This is my 2 nd ragbrai and I think that Keokuk will be the ending town also. So here is my prediction starting in Council Bluffs, Shenandoah, Bedford, Osceola, Camp Dodge, Oskaloosa, Mount Pleasant, Keokuk. But as some has said towns that we have not been to for along time here is route no. 2, Sidney, Atlantic, Winterset, Camp Dodge, Oskaloosa. Bloomfield, Mount Pleasant, Keokuk

Sandaltan ., December 7, 2018 at 8:43 pm

We will never again start in Sidney, Iowa. Won’t happen.

RIDE RIGHT

Jeff Hansen, December 8, 2018 at 2:02 pm

If I may ask why will not start in Sidney every again?

Bob Amlie, December 8, 2018 at 2:14 pm

I went over the chart of past overnight towns by year, and tried to work out a pattern. Though conventional wisdom says it’s North, then Central, and a Southern route the 3rd year, my little research says that is not really a consistent pattern. There is a lot of overlap into the north and South sectors from a Central route, in some years. So–Central routes are used the most. . One thing that may keep them inside the three sectors, though, is a seeming trend toward slightly shorter routes in the last 5 years. That said, since Southern Iowa tends to have hilly terrain, it may be a 410-mile route in the Southern 1/3rd. Just to keep from wearing everyone out. There aren’t any large cities(by Iowa standards), which is fine with me. As long, as long as they have a Walmart & a swimming pool. So, I’ll guestimate a Southern, that stays way south of I-80.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014