2019 Route Predictions

I’m only putting out a preferred southern route as I am very sure it will be a southern route. I’ll only put in 3 of the overnight towns and leave the rest for my entry into the “guess the route” contest.

-Council Bluffs
-Des Moines (maybe Osceola, they might be saving Des Moines for RAGBRAI 50)
-Burlington

What are your guesses

This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  mootsman.

147 Replies

Sandaltan ., December 8, 2018 at 9:16 pm

If I may ask why will not start in Sidney every again?

Goat headthorns. That small part of SW Iowa is infested with goatheads.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris
RAGBRAI IV, 1976, began in Sidney to the tune of hundreds of popping tubes. Some bike shops ran out of tubes before the ride could begin, they had to drive to Omaha, Council Bluffs, Kansas City and back to DSM to replenish their stock of tubes.

RIDE RIGHT

Amanda, December 10, 2018 at 7:37 am

I think we will start in Missouri Valley this year. I’m not going to share the rest of the route with you because I want to win the big money!! 🤣🤣

bsutliff, December 10, 2018 at 6:56 pm

council bluffs,atlantic,greenfield,johnson,toledo/tama,marion,maquoketa and Clinton.

Cory Rood, December 12, 2018 at 9:40 am

[quote quote=1297246]If I may ask why will not start in Sidney every again?

Goat headthorns. That small part of SW Iowa is infested with goatheads.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris
RAGBRAI IV, 1976, began in Sidney to the tune of hundreds of popping tubes. Some bike shops ran out of tubes before the ride could begin, they had to drive to Omaha, Council Bluffs, Kansas City and back to DSM to replenish their stock of tubes.

RIDE RIGHT[/quote]

Tubeless takes care of that!

cyduke, December 12, 2018 at 9:48 am

After riding 35 of the last 36 RAGBRAI’s, I’ve never predicted all the overnight towns correctly. Next year’s will be no different.
Missouri Valley (2008), Atlantic(2011), Winterset(1991), Polk City(new), Marshalltown(2012), Vinton(1978), Oelwein(2002), McGregor(New).

Cory Rood, December 12, 2018 at 10:49 am

After riding 35 of the last 36 RAGBRAI’s, I’ve never predicted all the overnight towns correctly. Next year’s will be no different.
Missouri Valley (2008), Atlantic(2011), Winterset(1991), Polk City(new), Marshalltown(2012), Vinton(1978), Oelwein(2002), McGregor(New).

I would love McGregor but if people thought Lansing was bad. getting in and out of McGregor would be worse IMO. I didn’t think Lansing was bad myself but plenty people seemed upset that it took them some time to get out of town.

Cory Rood, December 12, 2018 at 10:57 am

Starting town doesn’t get me going near as much as the end town for me. I live and grew up on the Eastern boarder so I love it when the ride finishes in my neck of the woods. Bellevue north up to Lansing, anywhere along there is great by me!

cyduke, December 12, 2018 at 11:24 am

I’m with you Cory. Anything North of Bellevue is great. I didn’t think the ending at Lansing was that bad. Team Skunk got out of there fairly easy, but we did get out late. If anything, McGreggor-Marquette has Highway 18, and Highway 52 isn’t too far away.

Sandaltan ., December 12, 2018 at 12:43 pm

I like a Clinton ending because we go through Elvira, one of my very favorite town names.

RIDE RIGHT

T. Gap Woo, December 12, 2018 at 8:23 pm

I like a Clinton ending because we go through Elvira, one of my very favorite town names.

RIDE RIGHT

Wouldn’t it be great if Elvira was an overnight town or even a pass-through town. They could get The Oak Ridge Boys for entertainment. Oom pa pa oom pa pa mau mau!

Chris, December 13, 2018 at 8:32 pm

Because I’m dreaming of warm RAGBRAI nights, I broke out the Crystal Ball known as GoogleFu, and found some interesting things buried far in the intertubez….

Madison City put in to be an Overnight Town
Eagle Grove put in to be an Overnight Town
LeClaire said no.
Forest City said no.
Monticello said no to an overnight, but would accept being a passthough.

Knowing that all the towns that put in for it don’t get it, but combining this little bit of knowledge with the “clues” in the logo, my guess as of tonight:

Sunday: Sioux Center to Storm Late
Monday: Storm Lake to Carroll
Tuesday: Carroll to Eagle Grove
Wednesday: Eagle Grove to Mason City
Thursday: Mason City to Waverly
Friday: Waverly to Cedar Rapids
Saturday: Cedar Rapids to Bellevue

Full Northern Route. A bunch of miles. LOTS of pie.

Oh, and RAGBRAI don’t care, so it’s not a matter of if I’m wrong, it’s a matter of just how wrong I am. 🙂

See ya in July.

This reply was modified 1 year ago by  Chris. Reason: Forgot a line

Sandaltan ., December 14, 2018 at 2:17 pm

I like Mason City fer sure. One of the churches has a member who bakes sheet pies, last time through Mason City we really enjoyed his pie.

RIDE RIGHT

Cory Rood, December 15, 2018 at 5:49 am

Because I’m dreaming of warm RAGBRAI nights, I broke out the Crystal Ball known as GoogleFu, and found some interesting things buried far in the intertubez….

Madison City put in to be an Overnight Town
Eagle Grove put in to be an Overnight Town
LeClaire said no.
Forest City said no.
Monticello said no to an overnight, but would accept being a passthough.

Knowing that all the towns that put in for it don’t get it, but combining this little bit of knowledge with the “clues” in the logo, my guess as of tonight:

Sunday: Sioux Center to Storm Late
Monday: Storm Lake to Carroll
Tuesday: Carroll to Eagle Grove
Wednesday: Eagle Grove to Mason City
Thursday: Mason City to Waverly
Friday: Waverly to Cedar Rapids
Saturday: Cedar Rapids to Bellevue

Full Northern Route. A bunch of miles. LOTS of pie.

Oh, and RAGBRAI don’t care, so it’s not a matter of if I’m wrong, it’s a matter of just how wrong I am. 🙂

See ya in July.

I like your route but CR to Bellevue is probably too long of a last day.

Portland Cyclist PDX, December 15, 2018 at 2:07 pm

Nice sleuthing Chris! When towns say “no”, does that logically lead us to believe RAGBRAI is considering a route in that region? Or do the organizers tend to cast a wide net? Curious if anyone might know the answer to that.

Sandaltan ., December 15, 2018 at 2:54 pm

“Or do the organizers tend to cast a wide net?” PDX, were I the RAGBRAI Director I would send letters far and wide to gauge availability of overnight towns. Towns that are unwilling to host an overnight stay this year may be willing in the future. For example a town with their main street scheduled to be torn up in June and July for sewer and water main replacement would not want an overnight stay.

RIDE RIGHT

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015