2019 Route Predictions

I’m only putting out a preferred southern route as I am very sure it will be a southern route. I’ll only put in 3 of the overnight towns and leave the rest for my entry into the “guess the route” contest.

-Council Bluffs
-Des Moines (maybe Osceola, they might be saving Des Moines for RAGBRAI 50)
-Burlington

What are your guesses

This topic was modified 1 year ago by  mootsman.

147 Replies

Uncle Kraig, December 15, 2018 at 4:26 pm

Anyone try and book a room in Atlantic for Sunday night, the 21st? I did. No rooms to be had??? Anyone know of any large conventions, Farm Bureau retreat or anything like that going on in Atlantic on July 21. I think the register books large blocks of rooms for staff, State Patrol, etc extra early in these smaller towns. I would think this is as good of a clue as you will find in any logo πŸ™‚

Uncle Kraig, December 15, 2018 at 4:39 pm

Test

reedkennethia, December 15, 2018 at 7:12 pm

Great find Kraig. Booked hotel rooms is probably the best way to pinpoint an overnight. Atlantic was fun the last time in 2011.

Portland Cyclist PDX, December 16, 2018 at 2:38 am

Nice Kraig! Council Bluffs to Atlantic for the first day is looking like a possibility. That’s right around 50-60 miles depending on the route.

Chris, December 16, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Cool find, Kraig! πŸ™‚

….so I took your thinking and ran with it. It’s a horrid day here in NJ (4 degrees C and raining buckets); I’m abusing my computer.

I beat up Hotels.com for a little while. And…..get this:

Council Bluffs: you are correct, Sunday night is all booked up. However….I looked out though the rest of the week, and it looks like most of the rooms are booked up every night that week, no matter what pair of nights I put in. That might indicate DMR is setting up shop there, but for the whole week, that would seem a little strange.

Sioux Center: There are rooms available on Friday night, just about everything is booked up for Saturday night, and there are rooms free on Sunday night. Hmm……

Le Mars: Same as Sioux Center

Sioux City: Lots of rooms available on Saturday night

Missouri Valley: Like Council Bluffs, the rooms are pretty well taken all week

Rock Rapids: Same deal as Missouri Valley

From, from my dime-store crystal ball for the start town, I can’t tell crap. It does look like there’s some kind of convention going on in the Council Bluffs area, which would mask a big booking from something like RAGBRAI. Unless, of course, that big booking in the area IS RAGBRAI….

But. Remember:
RAGBRAI Don’t Care. πŸ™‚

See you in July.

Amanda, December 17, 2018 at 9:57 am

The motel booking looks like a reasonable idea. EXCEPT i do know that towns that have applied to host RAGBRAI have been telling the hotels in their towns to block all rooms until after January for the week of RAGBRAI. At least that’s what the hotels in Sioux Center told us last year when we tried to reserve a block of rooms for my son’s wedding. Fortunately the did move the wedding date so it wouldn’t interfer with RAGBRAI. Good kids!

Brady Bisgard, December 17, 2018 at 3:34 pm

My guesses.

Council Bluffs
Atlantic
Panora
West Des Moines
Pella
Centerville
Keosaqua
Keokuk

Portland Cyclist PDX, December 17, 2018 at 4:45 pm

Rather than looking at Council Bluffs, or any start town, which could be booked by people who have free cancellation and are hoping to guess the starting point from a very limited set of choices, I would look at all the towns NE, E, and SE of Atlantic in a 40-80 mile range. Anything pop out? Then you might be on to something.

reedkennethia, December 17, 2018 at 5:44 pm

PDX, well SE of Atlantic is Glenwood but we were just there in 2016. East, or maybe slightly NE, would be Missouri Valley. It hasn’t hosted since 2008 and would probably be around a 75 mile first day into Atlantic. However, I think that Council Bluffs would probably be their first choice for the start town. I think we ought to look at the possibility of a northern route too. LeMars is pushing hard to be the start and places like Eagle Grove and Mason City have applied. Unless someone has some good intell, this year’s route could go either way.

just randy, December 17, 2018 at 7:04 pm

I always thought that ANY town interested in hosting RAGBRAI (200+ towns) was required to have hotel rooms “blocked” as part of their host bid.

travis, December 18, 2018 at 9:54 am

I have family that lives in Pella and for all you guessing Pella as a overnight town just to let you know they are the ONLY TOWN in iowa that has sent a letter to ragbrai requesting never to be a overnight town. the letter is framed in the ragbrai office.

travis, December 18, 2018 at 9:54 am

I have family that lives in Pella and for all you guessing Pella as a overnight town. just to let you know they are the ONLY TOWN in iowa that has sent a letter to ragbrai requesting never to be a overnight town. the letter is framed in the ragbrai office.

reedkennethia, December 18, 2018 at 11:20 am

Travis, that doesn’t surprise me at all. Pella only host once and that was in 1984. RAGBRAI doesn’t seem to fit their “lifestyle”. Although, I thought the same thing about Orange City but they were a pleasant surprise.

cyduke, December 18, 2018 at 11:26 am

I remember Pella all to well in 1984. 102 miles that day from Adel -That was back in the good old days before the optional century loop. Rear der cable broke going into town. We lost our rainfly in Creston a few days before, and wouldn’t you know it, it rained all day, and night.

This reply was modified 11 months ago by  cyduke.

stuckinmizzou, December 19, 2018 at 9:04 am

I’m never right so if you stay away from my predictions you’ll be fine: Missouri Valley, Atlantic, Panora, Ankeny, Grinnell, Vinton, Dyersville, Bellevue

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015