2019 Route Predictions

I’m only putting out a preferred southern route as I am very sure it will be a southern route. I’ll only put in 3 of the overnight towns and leave the rest for my entry into the “guess the route” contest.

-Council Bluffs
-Des Moines (maybe Osceola, they might be saving Des Moines for RAGBRAI 50)
-Burlington

What are your guesses

This topic was modified 1 year ago by  mootsman.

147 Replies

T. Gap Woo, December 19, 2018 at 11:09 am

I have family that lives in Pella and for all you guessing Pella as a overnight town. just to let you know they are the ONLY TOWN in iowa that has sent a letter to ragbrai requesting never to be a overnight town. the letter is framed in the ragbrai office.

Travis,

I’m sorry to hear that Pella doesn’t want to be an overnight town. They were a pass-through town in 2013 and did an admirable job! Mrs Woo and I spent the overnight there and had a marvelous time interacting with the locals and visiting the bakeries and meat markets. Yum!

We looked forward to returning to Pella again and were pleasantly surprised to see that the Ragbrai route in 2018 passed relatively close to Pella. Although it took an extra bit of driving, we spent two nights in Pella. After the day’s ride, we discovered a new winery and a cheese house for a delicious after-dinner treat. To top it off, we enjoyed the weekly band concert on the clock tower square. A most-enjoyable experience!

I hope that the tornado damage has been repaired by now and that life has returned to normal.

I can’t wait to see how close this year’s route goes to Pella. If it’s reasonably close, Mrs Woo and I will be there.

See you along the I-O-Way next year.

reedkennethia, December 19, 2018 at 3:08 pm

Alright, I’ve got two updated predictions to cover my butt. A southern route prediction and a northern route prediction (I know, I have to pick one eventually):

Southern: Council Bluffs, Atlantic, Greenfield, Adel, Indianola, Oskaloosa, Fairfield, Burlington

Northern: Le Mars, Storm Lake, Eagle Grove, Mason City, Waverly, Manchester, Anamosa, Bellevue

swiifg, December 21, 2018 at 1:25 pm

Since we have ridden through (or anticipated doing so) a Forest or State Park the last couple years, does anybody have guesses which of those gems we may see this year?

Jeff Hansen, December 21, 2018 at 7:09 pm

I am think we go through Shimek State Forest Lick Creek Unit just outside Farmington.

Cory Rood, December 22, 2018 at 7:12 am

Since we have ridden through (or anticipated doing so) a Forest or State Park the last couple years, does anybody have guesses which of those gems we may see this year?

Backbone State Park would be great!

mootsman, December 24, 2018 at 8:53 am

Filling in my entry for the “Guess the Route” contest a little more.

-Council Bluffs (Saturday)
-Red Oak (Sunday)
-Bedford (Monday, Gravel Loop day also)
-Osceola (Tuesday, Karras Loop)
-Mount Pleasant (Friday)
-Burlington (Saturday)

This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  mootsman.

mootsman, December 31, 2018 at 2:01 pm

mootsman replied to the topic 2019 Route Predictions in the forum RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019 7 days ago

Filling in my entry for the “Guess the Route” contest completely now.

-Council Bluffs (Saturday)
-Red Oak (Sunday)
-Bedford (Monday, Gravel Loop day also)
-Osceola (Tuesday, Karras Loop)
-Centerville (Wednesday)
-Keosauqua (Thursday, goes though Libertyville & Fairfield to Mt Pleasant)
-Mount Pleasant (Friday)
-Burlington (Saturday)

Sandaltan ., December 31, 2018 at 2:19 pm

I don’t think Bedford again. Last time there the city feared we would overload the city sewer system and spotted KYBOs in the yards of locals that were hosting 15 or more riders. I just don’t think they would be eager to risk it again. Thinking about Bedford….that was the last time I ran onto No-Pay-Ray. Ray, a bandit, was known for riding RAGBRAI on a shoestring or less; tires and tubes from bike shop dumpsters, free crackers from the local hospital cafeteria, tomato soup from ketchup packets and hot water and so on.

RIDE RIGHT

KenH, January 1, 2019 at 9:24 pm

Sorry to hear that Pella wants no part of being an overnight town, and surprised because they sure welcomed us with open arms last time they were a pass through. But you know, people do change their minds. If you were to spend much time hanging out on the Babylon Bee website you would quickly learn that Calvinists are supposedly very fond of craft beer. You know, that stuff that has become increasingly popular at RAGBRAI in recent years. So who knows what the future may bring now that we come bearing craft beer??

Connie TenNapel, January 3, 2019 at 12:29 pm

Team Purple Jam has 3 tickets available at their table for RAGBRAI Announcement party. We may also have a few spots on bus this year.

reedkennethia, January 3, 2019 at 1:23 pm

It seems this year in comparison to years prior, there have been a lot less hints about the route leaning up to the announcement. Maybe I’m missing something or I haven’t looked hard enough. 🙂

stuckinmizzou, January 3, 2019 at 4:03 pm

Also not hearing as much from people going to the Route Announcement party as much as previous years.

reedkennethia, January 3, 2019 at 7:04 pm

My wife and I are going to the announcement party. I’ve got a table with some friends. It’s always a good time.

Bob Amlie, January 3, 2019 at 10:58 pm

I don’t think Bedford again. Last time there the city feared we would overload the city sewer system and spotted KYBOs in the yards of locals that were hosting 15 or more riders. I just don’t think they would be eager to risk it again. Thinking about Bedford….that was the last time I ran onto No-Pay-Ray. Ray, a bandit, was known for riding RAGBRAI on a shoestring or less; tires and tubes from bike shop dumpsters, free crackers from the local hospital cafeteria, tomato soup from ketchup packets and hot water and so on.

RIDE RIGHT

Yeah but(quote Sandaltan):
‘RAGBRAI Don’t Care”, Sandal. Rules are made to be broken, but there are no rules, are there?—anything is acceptable, right? Maybe Ray will be a Bandit next year, pushing the envelope on a stolen Equality Bike, souped-up & capable of 50mph! How do you like that?

This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by  Bob Amlie.

Cory Rood, January 4, 2019 at 6:29 am

Bob, what was your route prediction again?

Viewing 15 replies - 61 through 75 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014