2019 Route Predictions

I’m only putting out a preferred southern route as I am very sure it will be a southern route. I’ll only put in 3 of the overnight towns and leave the rest for my entry into the “guess the route” contest.

-Council Bluffs
-Des Moines (maybe Osceola, they might be saving Des Moines for RAGBRAI 50)
-Burlington

What are your guesses

This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  mootsman.

147 Replies

Amanda, January 4, 2019 at 7:35 am

Team Purple Jam has 3 tickets available at their table for RAGBRAI Announcement party. We may also have a few spots on bus this year.

We would have loved to join your table at The Announcement Party but I just bought 3 tickets on the 31st before the price went up.

Black Fungus will be at the party.

Chris, January 4, 2019 at 8:13 am

Said Reed: “It seems this year in comparison to years prior, there have been a lot less hints about the route leaning up to the announcement. Maybe I’m missing something or I haven’t looked hard enough”

I don’t think you’re missing something. To me, it does feel like there’s a lot of quiet about hints. To be fair, I don’t know if that’s because the last few years there have been more clues and this year is more normal. I have random notes scattered around from the years; my “route prediction” notes from 2013 is a blank text file. That route was short and straightish, and after the beating that we took in 2012 (and to some extent, 2011), I can’t blame TJ for going easy in 2013. Too much of a risk not to.

The guessing is fun, but because RAGBRAI Don’t Care what we guess, it’ll Go It’s Own Way. Which will happen to be the same way that we’re all going to go. Funny how that works.

See ya in July,
-Chris

reedkennethia, January 4, 2019 at 12:18 pm

Last year was a leaky year when it came to clues. People had a pretty good idea of what most of the route was before it was announced. I think the lid on hints and clues is pretty strategic by T.J. this year. I recall in 2016, someone posted the overnights on the website a few three hours before the party. It was pretty anti-climatic after that. I don’t care where we go, I just think it’s fun to speculate and guess. I like being surprised. That being said, I’m going to stand by a Le Mars or Council Bluffs start. I’m leaning the southern route but that may change by the 26th.

igor, January 4, 2019 at 12:43 pm

I’ll agree that there hasn’t been a lot of leaks to this years route. I think I guessed 4 last year and most years I get 0 or maybe 1 right. I’m thinking central route this year. Le Mars would be a cool start. Blue Bunny ice cream!

mootsman, January 6, 2019 at 7:45 am

Even recently they had a video featuring steam boats and Mark Twain. That was 2015 I think. This year, nothing.

brewmeister.us, January 7, 2019 at 5:15 pm

So, I was just thinking of this.

Here in Florida, we have Sunshine Laws (not the mandatory number of days, but having to do with public access to openness in government business / meetings.)

I don’t know if there are similar laws in Iowa, but in theory, if there were and a large event was looking to come to a small city, it would be brought up with city / county authorities to review / approve, no? If so, there would be a public record of it. And public would have access to said record… all y’all see where I’m going?

Thoughts? I’m sure people in overnight towns already know or have a pretty good idea. It’s just keeping it tight lipped.

Also, for the money, I have a hotel in Mason City on Wednesday night. Midweek reprieve from camping if it happens, if not, free cancellation. I’m sure many others are hedging bets like this as well.

Cheers!

reedkennethia, January 7, 2019 at 5:47 pm

To answer your question, yes, you can find in city council meeting notes and whatnot when they talked about RAGBRAI coming to their town.

Chris, January 8, 2019 at 7:11 am

Check this out!

A few months back, I did exactly that and went digging for town council notes. It’s back on page 2 of this thread. But….. I just re-did part of the search, and found something interesting that wasn’t there before:
https://www.chamberorganizer.com/Calendar/docs/tempfile17915515.pdf

It’s from the Fairfield Chamber of Commerce; it’s their 2019 Events Calendar. On it is, sure enough, RAGBRAI. I don’t know if it’s wishful thinking and they put in for it, hoping it would come though, or they actually know something. But, if it were true, we’re going South! Last time we were in Fairfield we ended in Fort Madison was 2013; that seems to be the go-to, as we’ve done Fairfield to Fort Madison 4 times over the years.

We’ll find out how wrong I am in about 3 weeks. 🙂

See ya in July
-Chris

reedkennethia, January 8, 2019 at 9:41 am

I actually saw that a while back. This is kind of why I’m leaning towards a southern route.

igor, January 8, 2019 at 11:12 am

That ride from Fairfield to Fort Madison sure was pretty!

Check this out!

A few months back, I did exactly that and went digging for town council notes. It’s back on page 2 of this thread. But….. I just re-did part of the search, and found something interesting that wasn’t there before:
https://www.chamberorganizer.com/Calendar/docs/tempfile17915515.pdf

It’s from the Fairfield Chamber of Commerce; it’s their 2019 Events Calendar. On it is, sure enough, RAGBRAI. I don’t know if it’s wishful thinking and they put in for it, hoping it would come though, or they actually know something. But, if it were true, we’re going South! Last time we were in Fairfield we ended in Fort Madison was 2013; that seems to be the go-to, as we’ve done Fairfield to Fort Madison 4 times over the years.

We’ll find out how wrong I am in about 3 weeks. 🙂

See ya in July
-Chris

KenH, January 9, 2019 at 11:21 am

I will say up front that my track record for guessing the route is very, very poor. Not sure but I believe I am batting 0% actually. Even so, I try to guess every year. This year the logo announcement mentioned that there were “interesting details” in the logo. The only other year something similar was said the logo did contain a very general clue. The “1973” on the tractor in that logo indicated that the start and end towns were the same as they were for RAGBRAI I in 1973.

This year’s logo contains a couple of prominent 15’s. There are 15 blades on the windmill. The trim pieces on the barn doors form XV, or 15. Could this be a clue that the route will start and end as RAGBRAI XV did? Seems unlikely since that would have us starting in Onawa two years in a row. But what if we were to pair the white XV barn door trim with that big white star (which many think is Des Moines) in the “rudder” of the windmill? What if we pair the fifteen blades on the windmill with the rather over prominent center hub of the windmill? Then we get 15+1 or 16. In fact there is a third way to get 16 or XVI from this logo. Look at the banner across the bottom that acts as a tail for the I in RAGBRAI. It is this year’s ordinal in Roman numerals XLVII followed by three stars. Do the three stars suggest that we take the left, middle, and right characters in the Roman numeral: XVI?

RAGBRAI XVI started in Sioux City, overnighted in Des Moines, and ended at Fort Madison. That seems a plausible route for this year. The route will not necessarily follow XVI exactly, even if this guess is correct, but Fairfield was an overnight town that year so the route is consistent with the meeting notes discussed just above this post. I think I will hang my guess on this skeleton since I have nothing better. Keep my track record in mind if you choose to follow me however!!

reedkennethia, January 9, 2019 at 11:33 am

So, I’ve got a friend who said she heard a rumor about Winterset. Like I said, it’s just a rumor. Winterset would be an awesome ride with tons of hills. Anyone else who’s done BRAMCO knows this.

Cory Rood, January 9, 2019 at 2:30 pm

So, I’ve got a friend who said she heard a rumor about Winterset. Like I said, it’s just a rumor. Winterset would be an awesome ride with tons of hills. Anyone else who’s done BRAMCO knows this.

I’ve done some gravel riding in Madison County. If you think the Pavement has hills…. LOL I’ll be down there riding again in Feb. for CIREEM. Beautiful area for sure and I’d welcome a route through there!

reedkennethia, January 9, 2019 at 5:09 pm

The ride south out of town on Clark Tower Rd is absolutely beautiful.

John Larson, January 9, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Well, I made a guess submission then read this forum and am rethinking some choices but too late. I am basing my prediction on Burlington being the end town because it hasn’t been since 2009 and my Mom grew up there so that’s where the analysis stops. I am hoping they go back to a real corner to corner route like they did way back when but haven’t for a while. I went on early RAGBRAIs in the 70’s and one of my favorites was a Northwest to Southeast from 1979 (RAGBRAI VII). Also, after last year’s short ride it’s time for something long. So I have AKRON as the start (last time 1982)-CHEROKEE (2012)-CARROLL (2011)-POLK CITY (NEW)-PELLA (I’m assuming this letter stating they do not want to be considered is old and they have changed their minds)-FAIRFIELD (2013)-KEOSAUQUA (1982)-BURLINGTON (2009). Ok, I realize that Akron and Keosauqua may not be able to host modern RAGBRAI but I’ve committed. It will probably be some combination of Fairfield-Burlington or Mt Pleasant-Ft Madison at the end but I thought I’d be creative.

Viewing 15 replies - 76 through 90 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015