Join Us in July - Register Today!

2019 Route Predictions

I’m only putting out a preferred southern route as I am very sure it will be a southern route. I’ll only put in 3 of the overnight towns and leave the rest for my entry into the “guess the route” contest.

-Council Bluffs
-Des Moines (maybe Osceola, they might be saving Des Moines for RAGBRAI 50)
-Burlington

What are your guesses

147 Replies

mootsman, January 13, 2019 at 8:00 pm

Definitely a southern route since there s a rotation: north central, south. Last year was central.

edj802, January 14, 2019 at 3:11 pm

Guessing Southern route:

Chautaqua, Shenandoah, Mt Ayr, Confidence, Ottumwa, Keosaqua, Keokuk

jelly0317, January 14, 2019 at 5:05 pm

I would estimate the odds of overnighting in either Chautauqua or Confidence would be a bazillion to one.

Mark Bundick, January 14, 2019 at 6:03 pm

Council Bluffs
Red Oak
Greenfield
Osceola
Knoxville
Oskaloosa
Fairfield
Burlington

Note: Best I’ve ever done is three towns.

mootsman, January 17, 2019 at 8:22 am

Has anyone heard from the City Councils about if RAGBRAI is hitting their town this year?

I do like Mark’s route prediction. Wasn’t one of Mark’s towns where we got to ride the Sprint Car track on the way in a few years back?

igor, January 17, 2019 at 8:34 am

[quote quote=1298174]Has anyone heard from the City Councils about if RAGBRAI is hitting their town this year?

I do like Mark’s route prediction. Wasn’t one of Mark’s towns where we got to ride the Sprint Car track on the way in a few years back?[/quote]

Yup! Knoxville back in 2013.

mootsman, January 17, 2019 at 8:48 am

Thanks Igor. If we do hit Knoxville maybe they’ll have a race this time for RAGBRAI people to attend. Unless they avoided it on purpose because of the noise.

Randall Murphy, January 17, 2019 at 10:25 am

I’ve been with Pork Belly for years and we camped in the shadow of the grandstand. It was awesome!

Larry Klaaren, January 17, 2019 at 11:47 am

[quote quote=1298175][quote quote=1298174] Wasn’t one of Mark’s towns where we got to ride the Sprint Car track on the way in a few years back?[/quote]

“Thanks Igor. If we do hit Knoxville maybe they’ll have a race this time for RAGBRAI people to attend. Unless they avoided it on purpose because of the noise.”

I am from Oskaloosa. The races in Knoxville are on Saturday nights. We would be there on Wednesday. I think the cars run a circuit through the week and would not be available on other nights. The races in Oskaloosa are on Wednesday nights, but usually Ragbrai is in Osky on Thursday when Oskaloosa hosts.

BillSpriggs, January 17, 2019 at 8:48 pm

It was awesome until the train went through the middle of my tent. We were camped next to the tracks. I’ll be with PBV for the fifth time this year.

mootsman, January 18, 2019 at 11:44 am

Ear plugs Bill, ear plugs. The nice soft foamy kind you squish down and then put them in. They expand for a nice seal. I’ve always slept well on RAGBRAI even though 1 night we were only a couple of blocks from the band. Once closer then that in PBV camp.

PBV camp is great. Looking forward to it again this year.

Rene Borrero, January 18, 2019 at 5:55 pm

this is torture. not knowing if your name get picked up for the ride is bad enough and the waiting period it is so long. yeah you can find out about the route next weekend, but you are not really in until May. what a torture. people need time to work on their logistics. they should have drawn those names this months so people can prepare. or maybe i am wrong that there are a lot reasons for that.

jelly0317, January 18, 2019 at 6:16 pm

In the unlikely event that you’re not initially chosen, there are always tags available later. Start making those plans!

Evin Thompson, January 18, 2019 at 6:38 pm

This is after very careful analysis that I guess the route.
I spent a good part of my life doing analysis to figure out how to protect our Republic and was good at it. Better than ok, but not great. TJ has alluded me in my retirement years with figuring out the route. I truly believe I have found the true route this year in the deep spider hole that TJ has given us.
My basic assumption based on the wood work of the barn in the logo is that we will start in the North, dip to the South and end in the North.
The XM in the barn door stands for 90 so where did RAGBRAI start in 1990, Sioux Center.
The next stop is what makes sense for the next stop before the next revel, Storm Lake.
The third stop is Coon Rapids. A small town, they will be challenged but believe they are up to it. A few years ago they were one of three cities to get a “Vision Grant” grant from the State. So the three stars on the logo represent they are one of three
The fourth overnight is Johnston. The star on the windmill vane is clearly centralized part of Iowa, and being a Gold Star represents the beautiful Gold Star Memorial that is housed at Fort Dodge. God Bless our Gold Star families. They gave their loved and sons and daughters for our Republic.
Our fifth overnight town is Marshalltown. No clue in the logo, but in 2018 they were devastated by a huge twister. They have recovered well from what I have read, and RAGBRAI is going to celebrate their recovery with them with a great overnight visit.
Our sixth overnight will be Cedar Falls. The colors in the logo are clearly the colors of UNI(or as my father says, the Teachers College and my grandfather attended and taught in Iowa for 40+ years), so we will have a great night there. Hope we get in the Dome again with a great concert.
Our seventh overnight is Fayette. A little town but the home of Upper IA University. Upper IA University has been a huge supporter of RAGBRAI over the years and it is time that we recognize the great alumni that support the various causes of RAGBRAI. I routinely see this proud University Alumni on The Ride and never really got it till I educated myself on this University, they got it together.
We will finish in Guttenberg. A different view of the logo is XV, RAGBRAI XV finished in Guttenberg.
So there it is, will post early so that anybody who wants to replicate, I encourage you to do so. More than happy to share my winnings with RAGBRAI Nation.
But of course I am probably wrong and should just through Jell-O at my Iowa map for my next year predictions.

Sandaltan ., January 18, 2019 at 8:26 pm

ET: Roman numeral XM = 990. The Gold Star Military Museum is in Camp Dodge, not Fort Dodge. I like the Storm Lake, Johnston and Cedar Falls but don’t think Marshalltown plus maybe start in Blue Bunny country.

RIDE RIGHT

Viewing 15 replies - 91 through 105 (of 147 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters