2019 Route Predictions

I’m only putting out a preferred southern route as I am very sure it will be a southern route. I’ll only put in 3 of the overnight towns and leave the rest for my entry into the “guess the route” contest.

-Council Bluffs
-Des Moines (maybe Osceola, they might be saving Des Moines for RAGBRAI 50)
-Burlington

What are your guesses

This topic was modified 1 year ago by  mootsman.

147 Replies

jelly0317, January 18, 2019 at 10:03 pm

As I recall, the last time we overnighted in Fayette (1996), Upper Iowa University wouldn’t allow RAGBRAI to camp on their property.

jelly0317, January 18, 2019 at 10:08 pm

As I recall, the last time we overnighted in Fayette (1996), Upper Iowa University wouldn’t allow RAGBRAI to camp on their property.

Sandaltan ., January 19, 2019 at 5:22 pm

I am remembering a year when it was blazing hot, portions of the asphalt were turning to glue and my wingman and me rolled into a gorgeous campus at the end of the day with large spreading oak trees and plenty of shade but no one camped there. There were four young men laid on the grass attended by EMTs and receiving IVs, evidence I thought of too much party and not enough nutrition and sleep. I had not seen that before or since, four riders laid out like battle casualties. We followed the signs provided by Bike World to our camp ground which was on the grounds, we were told, of the university president. The university president had a nice front lawn but no camping there, we pitched our tent in hay stubble at the rear of his property. The KYBOs were an unusual distance from our camp which added to our grumbling. That was probably Upper Iowa U and Fayette.

RIDE RIGHT

cyduke, January 19, 2019 at 5:38 pm

I wonder if you’re thinking of Decorah in 1999. That was a hot, brutal week. 1996 was unseasonably mild, and I didn’t bring any warm clothes.

Sandaltan ., January 19, 2019 at 5:46 pm

I wonder if you’re thinking of Decorah in 1999. That was a hot, brutal week. 1996 was unseasonably mild, and I didn’t bring any warm clothes.

Apology to Upper Iowa, you are probably correct.

RIDE RIGHT

Amanda, January 19, 2019 at 8:19 pm

1999 was my first year on RAGBRAI. Brutally hot. And I remember at Decorah, we were sitting in one of the campus buildings. Then somebody said let’s take our sleeping bags and sleep in here tonight. So we all did! Probably the best night sleep of the whole week.

Chris, January 20, 2019 at 2:09 pm

Amanda…. jumping years, we did the same thing, but with one little mistake:

2012 was our hot year. I don’t know if 99 or 2012 won the award for the most sweat-inducing year; at some point it might not matter that much 🙂

We were in Webster City after getting though the Karras loop and, damn, we were LOOPED. We were getting 2nd dinner in the High School when one of the administrators got on the horn and said that the school would remain open all night if anyone wanted to sleep in air conditioning. We thought this was brilliant! We ran (well, waddled?) back to our tent, got our pillows and ground pads, and cozied up in some random spot in a hallway.

Right there was our mistake: we didn’t bring our blankets. So, it’s 2:30am, we’re both awake, shivering and just freezing our assess off. It couldn’t have been colder than 70 in there, but after being baked all day, it felt like a meat locker. I forgot to bring a flashlight with me, so getting back to the tent would have ended in disaster. Rather than getting the best night of sleep the whole week, we got the worst one we’d have. So much for the glory of air conditioning!

I know some people are thinking: worst night that year was Marshalldown. True….we were one of the lucky ones in Marshalltown. Our tent stayed upright, didn’t have a broken pole, and didn’t flood, otherwise that would have easily been the worst night of sleep of the week!

*giggle* Good times….

See y’all in July.
-Chris

This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  Chris.

jake d, January 20, 2019 at 10:07 pm

Ah yes I remember Fayette. Set up in a stubble field until someone talked a local into letting us camp on an empty lot next to his house. The town had one restaurant, one convenience store, and one grocery store. Plus a handful of local vendors set up. Everyone was out of food by 7PM except the store. The store looked like a swarm of locust had come thru. If you could pick it up and eat it, it was gone. They gave up trying to restock and would just cut boxes open and leave them on the floor. I don’t think we will be back.

Larry Klaaren, January 21, 2019 at 9:15 am

You are probably right that we won’t overnight in a small town, but I also think, from a conversation with a Casey’s manager, that RAGBRAI is probably doing a good job of coaching communities right now.

Amanda, January 22, 2019 at 4:09 pm

http://s520.photobucket.com/albums/w327/Amanda1957/183B448F-8A4C-4F8D903-77C4A51517AD_zps0wowzacb.jpeg

Iknow the route! TJ had posted a photo of the file containing the route. Well, I snuck in his office and took it!!

This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  Amanda.

Amanda, January 22, 2019 at 4:16 pm

Sorry I can’t get the image to show

Don Raatz, January 22, 2019 at 4:50 pm

Not that I believe the route is heading north this year but I can’t imagine Fayette being an overnight town, having grown up in the area, unless Upper Iowa University was heavily involved. There’s just not enough there, other than the college, to support the ride. Another side note is that the hills are brutal in that area and would make for a long Saturday towards a likely finish at Guttenberg. West Union, eight miles north, or Oelwein, 20 miles south, would be better suited to handle the masses and are both due for return visits.

Amanda, January 22, 2019 at 8:16 pm

I know!

Doug Blosch, January 22, 2019 at 8:52 pm

Two years ago it ended in McGregor, last year it ended in Davenport. I predict that 2019 we will end in Dubuque.

mootsman, January 23, 2019 at 11:50 am

Hot years for RAGBRAI, yup, 2012 was so terrible I didn’t show up. 2011 was terrible also though even though the highs were upper 90s without the low 100s of 2012. 2011 we had all time record high dew points in the upper mid-west. The predicted temps for the week the Friday before was for upper 80s so I went and had to leave mid-week. Some of us just can’t handle the high heat-humidity at all. To make it worse some bug hit a few of us that took our team bus.

This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by  mootsman.

Viewing 15 replies - 106 through 120 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015