2019's Ride– What will you change (for you) for next year's ride?

Have at it! πŸ™‚

14 Replies

SFC JKL 2, September 13, 2019 at 9:02 pm

I got bigger/better cooler for the back of my bike. Ditch drinkers unite!

Dan Kurovski, September 14, 2019 at 5:48 pm

I will be there instead of wishing I was there….

Jboz, September 14, 2019 at 6:57 pm

In 2020 I will spend more time in the pass through towns…but I say that every year.

Jesse A, September 16, 2019 at 4:59 pm

I’m going to NOT ride self-supported so that I can spend more time at the stops. It was a nice challenge but stressful.

KenH, September 19, 2019 at 10:52 am

Next year might be a little different for me because my teammates probably all need to bail out for the last two or three days. I might end up using the Register baggage truck the last few days and sleeping in the general campground, something I have never done. Or I might see if the Riverbend Club/charter can accommodate me the last few days. I have great memories of doing the whole week with them in 2016 and I have been wanting to repeat that experience some year but the notion of doing the Register thing is appealing too. I don’t feel the need to do any major adjustments to my RAGBRAI routine other than that. My cycling gear all works well and the one year I used it my tent camping gear worked well too.

mootsman, September 19, 2019 at 3:14 pm

I know PBV lets you ride part way with them for a daily fee. And they have a charter from the end town too.

KenH, September 20, 2019 at 3:47 pm

Plans are uncertain at this point of course. As they firm up I will look at PBV. Their rates are a little too rich for my blood for the whole week but 2 or 3 days would be manageable and of course PBV is another RAGBRAI institution that would be nice to experience at least once! Transportation would not be an issue in my case.

No one should think that I am trying to say that PBV’s rates are exorbitant, btw. If you pay attention to what they do and how they do it you will see that they are quite reasonable. It’s just that some of us are on Chevy budgets and some of us are on Rolls Royce budgets. And some of us drive Chevys but could afford to rent a Rolls now and then….

Dan Holmes, September 22, 2019 at 6:52 pm

I’m supporting more riders next year; therefore I require hookups for each overnight. If the overnight towns can’t provide water/electricity, then our money will be spent in nearby towns who can provide. We are self-sustaining where we carry 50 gallons of water and enough propane for our generator, but that lasts for only 24 hours. Unable to find hookups in or near Fairfield, Burlington and Keokuk forced us to cut the trip short.

This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Dan Holmes.

lm m, September 23, 2019 at 8:32 am

2020 for me is to spend more time in each pass thorough town as I used to do before all the craft beer tents started popping up. Don’t get me wrong I love them. However it’s the towns that put their heart and soul into preparing a great time for us and I have been rolling through. I remember years ago the local towns beer tents use to be so much fun, that is my 2020 goal again. Support small family owned businesses.

David C., September 25, 2019 at 6:45 pm

I don’t think I can camp again. Pretending to be a bagger, e.g., hauling my stuff only from the truck at start, throughout the week, and to the truck at finish is also out. Something in my head convinced me not carrying my gear was cheating (myself not others).

I might do 1 day next year after 2.5 full RAGBRAIs for the last 3 years and instead of a recumbent tadpole trike might actually lose a wheel and ride a…bike. I have a Cannondale CAADX 105 SE with Alfine 11 and flat bar.

And do this 1 day with my son who will turn 12 in 2020.

This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  David C..

This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  David C.. Reason: clarity

francoisvanzyl, September 26, 2019 at 1:55 pm

I may sit next year out — I have done RAGBRAI 3 times with my sons (two south and one north so I have climbed enough hills in Iowa to last me a while, still need a central ride so who knows) and am thinking of doing the Mountains to the coast ride in North Carolina next year. A lot smaller at around 1000 riders so we will see — I like the big crowds of RAGBRAI.

This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  francoisvanzyl.

Papa T, October 4, 2019 at 7:06 pm

After 20 years (I skipped 2013 with an injury) I am considering an E-bile for 2020. I’m getting too slow and can’t do the hills anymore. I’m looking at a Giant and would appreciate any advice from my many Ragbrai friends. “Keep your sorry ass in Chicago” is not considered good advice :<)

Sandaltan ., October 4, 2019 at 8:59 pm

Go for it Papa T. Buy from the local dealer you trust.

RIDE RIGHT

Scott Hagy, October 4, 2019 at 11:18 pm

Good evening. I’m looking to ride RAGBRAI for first time in 2020. Does anyone know of any riders from Ohio I can possibly join up with? My buddy I normally rode with is unavailable for the ride. Thanks Scott

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015