2020 Jerseys

I love the new jersey designs for next year. However, I have two suggestions:

1) Increase the size of the logos on the front and back
2) Add the following “RAGBRAI 2020: Iowa’s Ride

LOL…too soon?

24 Replies

Jose Medina, November 24, 2019 at 6:07 am

I cancelled my membership to the Iowa Bike Coalition I felt the same way as you did.

Ben There, November 24, 2019 at 6:59 am

The Iowa Bicycle Coalition Non-profit has always seemed to me like a “give me money so I can pay myself to do what I want to do” type of non-profit. They insert themselves into issues as self-appointed experts in effort to drown out local views that may differ from theirs. These “self-appointed experts” applied whatever clout they have in attempt to move the power of Ragbrai over to the “iowas ride”, without waiting to see how most riders felt about the situation. Why?

Joseph Schlau, November 24, 2019 at 1:29 pm

The decision by the IBC on Oct 17th seemed, well, staged. It tied in with TJ’s media campaign. His ready-to-go website complete with logo, Primal shirt sales, registration, and charters left little doubt his hostile takeover of Ragbrai was a premeditated operation.

I hesitate to use the terms well planned operation though. They relied on a couple of assumptions.

TJ and his staff deluded themselves into believing THEY were the embodiment of Ragbrai. That their departure meant the great ride would go wherever they did.

Instead of being the trusted caretakers of this great ride, they thought they WERE the great ride.

This arrogant attitude was fed by the media and blog posters alike. We were treated to all sorts of crazy schemes where TJ would triumphantly return to Ragbrai like Cesar to Rome and dictate terms of surrender to Gannet.

Ragbrai had other plans. They assembled a competent staff willing and able move forward. They treated Ragbrai as the time honored Iowa tradition that it is, dedicated to preserve it.

They slammed the door in the face of the petulant ex-employee and presumptive dictator. Ragbrai will soon announce their new director and team.

Six weeks later TJ’s ride is on now moved to a different week going in a different direction with less than 1/4 of the estimated riders.

The clock of November is ticking and that northern route he so boldly promised is still waiting to be announced. TJ is now looking over his shoulder followed by the legal team of Gannett. He is reduced to sending out surrogates to speak to the media and carefully guards his words.

The other assumption he and the IBC made was that an inflammatory story and the strong breeze of social media would be sufficient to create a firestorm of outrage sufficient to turn the masses against Gannett. The biking community is a bit more independent in their thinking. Rather than walking in lockstep with IR/IBC, the leaders are learning their task is more like herding cats. A dog can be commanded. A cat must be convinced.

Meow

Jose Medina, November 24, 2019 at 2:24 pm

Wow ! This is one of the best forums I have read. You got it right on the nose. All Ragbrai riders , I have talked to feel the same way. Ragbrai is a Iowa Treasure owned and safeguarded by Gannett. Thanks to them and all the people that make it happen. Thanks to all the Charters that also stepped up. This will be my 31st year and I met my wife on Ragbrai. I remember meeting a girl from Sweden that was on her forth Ragbrai and she only comes to the USA to do Ragbrai.This puts Iowa on the world map. Lets help keep it that way.

cyduke, November 24, 2019 at 2:49 pm

#Ragbraistrong

skb-mpls, November 24, 2019 at 8:15 pm

Joseph Schlau:

Your verbiage is worth a new forum post. Not all RAGBRAI forum readers may read the 2020 Jerseys Post. You’ll think of a catchy title. (grin)

Thanks for your efforts!

Sheldon in Mpls

Joseph Schlau, November 24, 2019 at 9:20 pm

Shortly, very shortly Ragbrai will announce their new director.

I’m thinking The Empire Strikes Back to start it off. But I think that one’s been done by someone. Don’t want to step on anyone’s trademarks.

Then there’s the way overdue IR north route.

mootsman, November 25, 2019 at 12:38 am

Shortly, very shortly Ragbrai will announce their new director.

I’m thinking The Empire Strikes Back to start it off. But I think that one’s been done by someone. Don’t want to step on anyone’s trademarks.

Then there’s the way overdue IR north route.

Really interesting posts. For a while I kidded myself there was a chance of reconciliation but it was too obvious this was a planned heist. And IBC endorsed it. Glad I found out before I sent money their way by signing up for the Bacoon Ride (or the other “RAGBRAI training rides”). I’ve been involved in bike clubs that have had gone through similar things. A group comes up with an excuse to storm out and form a new club. Then they are surprised when they get very few followers.

Like your new post title Joe. Maybe just add “RAGBRAI -” to the front of it. Maybe a RAGBRAI training ride boycott is needed too if IR bites the dust.

This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by mootsman.

Ken Reed, November 25, 2019 at 8:12 am

Perhaps the right people need to create a rival to the IBC. In my view, they’ve made themselves irrelevant. Or at the very least, Mark Wyatt should resign.

Viewing 9 replies - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015