2021 Route Announcement Party Livestream

Besides announcing the new overnight replacement town RAGBRAI could announce all the pass thru towns to add some interest in the RAP.

40 Replies

Uncle Kraig, December 13, 2020 at 1:57 pm

Since the 2021 maps are already up on the website it will be a bit anti-climatic to build much hype announcing the pass-thru towns.

Jboz, December 13, 2020 at 2:52 pm

Riders are going to be so amped up for 2021, there won’t need to be the usual hype and drama of the annual RAP. The only climactic event will hopefully be the “RAGBRAI is 100% happening!” announcement, whenever that is.

mootsman, December 14, 2020 at 9:04 am

True the maps are there but without road markings or passthrough towns and day 6 still shows the old Friday over night town. Yes with the shape of the route and Google maps you could figure the route out except for the last two days. And they need to have something to get viewers. Why bother figuring out the route when you can stream the RAP.

mootsman, December 14, 2020 at 3:45 pm

Also there could be more route changes besides the last 2 days. 2021 road construction projects could alter previously decided routes.

KenH, December 15, 2020 at 9:09 am

There is going to be an announcement in January and I believe the most recent just go bike podcast said the full route would be announced then. The last overnight town is still officially TBA but the folks in DeWitt believe that they are it. You can use a photo editor to overlay the released route maps and a screen shot from your favorite online mapping tool to get a pretty good idea of what the passthru towns will be and the meeting towns were announced during the virtual RAGBRAI this year. I did that for Sunday just to see where the gravel loop runs but I lost interest after that. Indeed, there could be changes so any time you spend doing that could be wasted.

From that same podcast the expectations are that you will see more kybos, more SAG wagons, and more hand washing stations next year. There may be a Covid test required and the hope is that we will all be able to get vaccinated. There may not be any overnight housing in townspeople’s homes so expect a pure camping event although RVs are still welcome. The rider limit may be reduced from the normal 10k so the lottery could be tighter this coming year. There is a new registration system, EnMotive, this year and if you are a rider who transferred this year’s registration you are already in the new system and you should have received an email with the details. Otherwise you will nedd to create an account there. The largest and oldest teams were transferred to the new system, my relatively recent team of four did not make that cut so I had to recreate it. The first team member to set up a team will automatically become the team captain and that is the new name for the role previously known as team contact. Note that if your team was transferred to the new system the roster was not so the captain will have to invite the old members or they will have to search for and sign on to the team when they register.

If you did transfer your registration you should still sign onto EnMotive and make sure everything is correct. Transfer riders already have accounts but you will need to reset your password to get access. Unfortunately the only way to go to EnMotive from the RAGBRAI website is to click on the REGISTER link on the ride page. That will take you to, duh, a registration area. If you are a transfer rider just ignore that and click on “My Account” in the upper right corner to see and confirm and update your registration. If instead you fill out the information on the registration page you will be creating a second registration for yourself which you will then have to cancel later unless you want to pay twice. Ask me how I know this….

Mike Howe, December 15, 2020 at 10:27 am

I think requiring a covid test would be a logistics nightmare. Thinking out loud here… but all the people who have registered… did it say anything about requiring a covid test when they registered? If it doesn’t say it now or when you register, how can Ragbrai go back and change the terms of what you registered for and require it? Lots of questions. Hopefully it all gets figured out.

KenH, December 15, 2020 at 11:36 am

I did not read the fine print but I don’t think that I have to in order to answer your question. If you register you will have until April 1 to change your mind and still get a full refund. Even those of us who are carryovers from last year have that right. So, RAGBRAI can change anything they want, any time they want up until that date and you will still have the right to review the change and just say no, receiving a full refund. So there is no issue there. If they feel the need to make changes after that date then your question has a point and they will probably let people respond as they see fit under those circumstances.

Mike Howe, December 15, 2020 at 11:56 am

I understand that. Heres another one… if they require the riders to get a test then what about the food vendors, merch vendors, the local people in the pass through/overnight towns, staff, etc. What would be the point of requiring it from riders but not from everyone else? Sounds like a huge headache than what its worth…

mootsman, December 16, 2020 at 1:41 pm

Looks like 4 days will have significant route changes since Storm Lake dropped out. Plenty to reveal at the RAP after all.

Randy Kurt, December 22, 2020 at 12:23 pm

Hey, when is the RAP?

LawnchairMan, December 22, 2020 at 11:30 pm

Check https://www.siouxlandproud.com/ragbrai/2021-ragbrai-registration-opens/

At the end of the open registration announcement, it says” The full route will be announced on January 30, 2021.” I assume that that will be the Route Announcement Party.

Once we get the entire route I can look at Google Maps and Ride With GPS to see what the hills will be like.

Randy Kurt, December 23, 2020 at 8:49 am

Thanks LawnchairMan. No wonder I couldn’t find it.

mootsman, December 23, 2020 at 3:26 pm

Le Mars to Sac City appears to be about 80+ miles by bike. Long for day-1 even without the gravel loop. Assuming they stick with the same route I’d guess they’d move the gravel loop to day-2. Sac City to Fort Dodge would be just under 50 miles by bike without any route changes. Sort of depends though on Storm Lake (SL) being a pass through town which SL may want out of also. But SL could be easily avoided even as a pass through without changing the miles much.

Mike Murphy, December 23, 2020 at 5:31 pm

January 30th makes sense for the announcement party. I checked my calendar and 2019 & 2020 announcement parties were held on the last Saturday in January. January 30th, 2021 is the last Saturday in January as well. I am looking forward to this Ragbrai as much as any I have done. This will be my 11th Ragbrai in the last 14 years. Having to sit out last years has made me realize how important this event is to me. If they are able to have it and people feel safe I predict it will be the largest turnout in all my years of doing it.

Gary Davis, December 30, 2020 at 4:25 pm

Looking forward to it

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015