2021 Route Announcement Party Livestream

Besides announcing the new overnight replacement town RAGBRAI could announce all the pass thru towns to add some interest in the RAP.

40 Replies

Kevin Even, January 12, 2021 at 6:16 pm

looks like you have to buy a ticket to listen in.

ESchiers, January 12, 2021 at 9:13 pm

If the ride announcement goes off as it did for 2020, the $25 sure isn’t worth it.

mootsman, January 13, 2021 at 8:29 am

looks like you have to buy a ticket to listen in.

Where did you read you need a ticket to stream the RAP? Its always been free to stream in years past.

DenBiker, January 13, 2021 at 9:35 am

Looks like Kevin is right. The ticket requirement was tucked onto the end of the RAP announcement. My assumption that since it is totally virtual this year they are trying to generate income for the Iowa Bicycle Coalition. https://ragbrai.com/events/ragbrai-route-announcement-party/

I can understand the desire to generate cash for what is a worthy cause but I am not at all certain that charging to watch something that has ALWAYS been streamed for free is a good idea!

hnschipper, January 13, 2021 at 11:10 am

I will wait and read the news afterwards. I am not going to pay for a livestream that has always been free in the past.

Jay Jelinek, January 13, 2021 at 11:37 am

I agree w/ hnschipper
Though I am curious, I can wait and read the news afterwards.

KenH, January 13, 2021 at 2:25 pm

I’m not an Iowan but I seldom hear anything but praise about the IBC whose efforts certainly benefit RAGBRAI as well as the general bicycle riding environment in Iowa. The pandemic has hit them hard and the live attendees at the annual route party are a significant source of fundraising for them in a typical year. This would not be the first worthy cause or local business that I have gone out of my way to support over the past year. I think I am willing to support this one too but I do think free is a much better price in the coming years when fundraising is back to normal levels!

Kevin Even, January 13, 2021 at 5:32 pm

Look under route announcement party livestream.

Jboz, January 13, 2021 at 7:43 pm

Like Ken H., given how so many businesses and organizations are hurting, I’m trying to be pretty generous these days. Bigger tips, more donations, etc.. I may or may not do the livestream, but $25 isn’t going to break my budget, so I will consider it a charitable donation to a very worthy organization. Plus, it comes with the benefit of getting a free livestream thrown in.

mootsman, January 14, 2021 at 7:53 am

RAGBRAI is actually going to charge for something that used to be free, online streaming the RAP. Even if it gets donated to the Iowa Bike Coalition that is still not cool. The IBC is a non-profit but not a charity like food for those that are unemployed during the pandemic. My donations go to people in need these days.

This reply was modified 2 days, 13 hours ago by mootsman.

mootsman, January 14, 2021 at 8:13 am

RAGBRAI could have at least donated the proceeds to local food banks on the route during the pandemic instead of the IBC. I would have gladly paid the $25 for that.

This reply was modified 2 days, 12 hours ago by mootsman.

This reply was modified 2 days, 12 hours ago by mootsman.

KenH, January 14, 2021 at 8:35 am

IBC may not be a charity in the usual sense but it’s activities benefit people of all economic levels and those benefits are significant enough to be regarded as acts of charity. But it is missing the point to question the donation to IBC on the grounds that IBC is not what you define as a charity. While IBC is not huge it does have a small staff and their livelihoods depend on donations from outsiders who benefit from their work. The pandemic has impacted those donations and threatens their livelihoods. When I buy a ticket for the party in order to give support to IBC I am the one who is being charitable to fellow human beings who are in need. It is MY act of charity to them and that is a good thing. When I go to a restaurant that is struggling to survive the pandemic restrictions my business is an act of charity towards them even though they are a for profit institution, especially since it is done at some personal risk. When I give the wait staff a larger than normal tip I am being directly charitable to their employees. I see no reason to treat the IBC any differently.

I don’t like to talk about these things because when being charitable the left hand should not know what the right hand is doing. This is not about personal glory, I am just trying to encourage everyone who can to be generous to anyone that they can. And those in need should feel no shame in accepting help, those who are just scraping by and cannot help others should feel no shame about that, this has been a gigantic shock to our economic system, it is not your fault. But these are the kinds of times when those who are able should be willing to help.

KenH, January 14, 2021 at 8:53 am

Since no one likes a preacher who does not walk the walk I have just signed up.

mootsman, January 14, 2021 at 8:57 am

But it is missing the point to question the donation to IBC on the grounds that IBC is not what you define as a charity.

You missed my point. You could say all the money raised by RAGBRAI selling merch helps preserve a few jobs at those vendors also. All the while people who already lost jobs can’t buy all the food they need or pay their rent/mortgage. I pick the charity which helps the most in my opinion rather then RAGBRAI picking the IBC for me.

DenBiker, January 14, 2021 at 10:06 am

The point is not whether or not the IBC deserves our support – it most certainly does. Nor is the point that RAGBRAI (by charging a fee) is attempting to replace at least some of the money that used to go to the IBC from the RAP attendees’ registration fees – that is exactly what RAGBRAI is trying to do. The point that upsets me (and I think most here) is that RAGBRAI is now charging $25 for something that has heretofore has been free!

I my opinion I wish that RAGBRAI would have chosen to continue to make the streaming of the RAP free AND in both their announcements and in the broadcast itself make point that because the IBC is not receiving valuable support from the RAP proceeds this year direct donations from RAGBRAIERS would be most appreciated. (I know this would sound a lot like your local PBS fundraiser but it is far more transparent than charging a fee and diverting those funds to the IBC.) Be open, honest and upfront – RAGBRIERS will respond. Charging a fee (even one gets donated to some other organization) sets a dangerous precedent.

PS- Even though I am no longer an Iowan, I ride RAGBRAI and do benefit from some of the IBC’s work. Therefore I will be making my own donation to the IBC BUT I WILL NOT DO SO JUST TO WATCH THE RAP. IT ALWAYS HAS AND SHOULD ALWAYS BE FREE!

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015