2021 Route Announcement Party Livestream

Besides announcing the new overnight replacement town RAGBRAI could announce all the pass thru towns to add some interest in the RAP.

54 Replies

KenH, January 14, 2021 at 3:34 pm

But it is missing the point to question the donation to IBC on the grounds that IBC is not what you define as a charity.

You missed my point. You could say all the money raised by RAGBRAI selling merch helps preserve a few jobs at those vendors also. All the while people who already lost jobs can’t buy all the food they need or pay their rent/mortgage. I pick the charity which helps the most in my opinion rather then RAGBRAI picking the IBC for me.

My point is that I am choosing to support the IBC through the RAGBRAI route announcement party livestream because the jobs and the work at the IBC are worth supporting. If RAGBRAI had chosen to support some other charitable work instead I likely would have made the same decision. I don’t have enough money to get everyone through this crisis, I don’t have enough to get even one family through on my own. But I give to many causes in order to give some support to many people. This is one more. If everyone who can does as much as I do then everyone who needs help will get a significant amount. It sounds like you are doing what you can too, great for you!

The livestream has always been free, physical attendance at the party has not. At least I don’t think it has been, I’ve never gone so I wouldn’t know. The people who normally attend in person are probably the main target of this year’s fee, those of us remote attendees who decide to contribute will make up for some of the in person attendees who cannot or will not pay for a livestream. My hope is that this is not the new policy going forward but is instead an emergency measure to help IBC get through this year. If they decided to charge a fee going forward then like many of you I may just say no thanks. But not this year.

I hope that no one thinks otherwise but I will point out that all opinions I express here and anywhere else on this forum are my own. I have no special relationship with RAGBRAI or anyone employed there. As far as RAGBRAI’s official policies and future plans are concerned I am the quintessential Sargent Shultz, “I know nothing, no-thing!” Anytime I am representing something that I say as official RAGBRAI policy it is because I am quoting something they have published somewhere that is accessible to any one of us.

mootsman, January 14, 2021 at 5:43 pm

Not many will pay $25 to watch the route announcement when they can see what the route is the next day for free. If someone wants to donate to the IBC they can anytime. Attaching a fee to watching this instead of just checking the website the next day comes off like greed during a time of others in genuine need.

This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by mootsman.

Mike Murphy, January 14, 2021 at 6:28 pm

I always have an announcement party and we watch it on my TV hooked up to a computer. I wasn’t planning on a party this year due to covid. It would be difficult watching it this year and giving the Iowa Bicycle Coalition any money. They were very quick to jump ship and go with the ill fated Iowa Ride. I said then and I believe it’s still true, Iowa Bicycle Coalition needs Ragbrai much more than Ragbrai needs this group of jerks. The one disappointed I have had with the new director is his renewing Ragbrai’s association with them. I wish he would have distanced Ragbrai from the IBC and they would have suffered the same fate of the never happened Iowa Ride and just be a memory.

This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Mike Murphy.

RDaryl Daryl, January 14, 2021 at 8:47 pm

It is my understanding that the RAP is an IBC event that RAGBRAI participates in to support the IBC

This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by RDaryl Daryl.

Mike Murphy, January 14, 2021 at 9:33 pm

It is my understanding that the RAP is an IBC event that RAGBRAI participates in to support the IBC

If thats the case Ragbrai should put on their own announcement party. I see no reason for the IBC to be part of Ragbrai in anyway.

mootsman, January 15, 2021 at 9:18 am

The IBC hosting the RAP was sort of something RAGBRAI allowed. RAGBRAI could do it on their own, no problem.

I agree that the IBC was too quick to jump to Iowa’s Ride. And if they are actually big enough to have paid employees, I don’t think that’s our $25 concern. I’m no longer planning on any of their rides like the Bacoon Ride since they jumped initially to IR. But they do good things for cycling and are worthy of considering a donation to them. But charging $25 for streaming the RAP? I can wait until the next day on the website.

I think the new director is still getting a feel for RAGBRAI riders. He’ll learn. Charging for virtual rides & virtual parties, spamming our emails to sell us merch, not cool.

Larry Klaaren, January 15, 2021 at 9:48 am

What gets rewarded will get repeated and what doesn’t will go away. The decision has been made and we’ll see if it works out.

This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Larry Klaaren.

RDaryl Daryl, January 15, 2021 at 4:36 pm

Just Go Listen to the JustGoBike podcast 122

KenH, January 15, 2021 at 7:35 pm

You know, a lot of people I know and love were quick to jump ship with TJ. I forgive them all along with him. He screwed up, big time, but good people do that sometimes. I know that I have. For that matter, I myself was convinced that RAGBRAI was done for, the Register and their corporate parent couldn’t really have any interest in continuing it, and I was starting to make plans to go with IR. Then Anne Lawrie stepped into the gap and showed us all that the Register was still very much in the game. She held off the whole Persian army and lived to tell the tale! IBC was not as quick to switch back to RAGBRAI as I was but they were pretty quick once it was clear that RAGBRAI was going to be a major force going forward. And then Covid hit and blew us all out of the water.

There are activities that weekend beyond the RAP, it is a major IBC event. And you are not paying $25 just to watch a livestream, you are registering as a virtual participant in the seminars too. I’m going to check them out. Whether I see anything that has much interest for me or not the fee does cover more than the announcement.

mootsman, January 16, 2021 at 9:11 am

Like I said, jut check the website the next morning if you want to know the route. $25 to see it announced all of 12 hours earlier seems like a waste of $25. It gives me some ideas though on how to scam others for money myself with seminars on the obvious.

Speaking of those seminars, useless. We all already know how to track that information they’ll cover much better (google, map-my-ride, ride-with-GPS, etc). We don’t need people in Iowa to let us know how to find advocacy groups, routes and rides in say Georgia or Colorado. I found those easily even back in the 70s and 80s before the www had info on it.

KenH, January 17, 2021 at 11:06 am

We get it, you don’t like RAGBRAI, you don’t need help from anyone, you see everything as a scam and look for ways to get you some of that action. Probably you should do some other ride but you are welcome at RAGBRAI and we hope that some day you will finally get it and mellow out a little. Not completely, a little would be enough.

For the rest of you I should mention something I missed before, it is only the Saturday sessions that are included for $25. The Friday sessions are another $50. The Saturday sessions include RAGBRAI 101, a how to guide of most interest to beginners. If you are one and are signing up for the party in spite of the naysayers here be sure to check it out.

Apparently there will be a surprise twist to the gravel loop this year. I’m guessing that the change of towns for the first overnight will make a longer first day and allow the gravel loop to make a 2nd century for the week. I could easily be wrong!

mootsman, January 17, 2021 at 1:31 pm

We get it, you don’t like RAGBRAI, you don’t need help from anyone, you see everything as a scam and look for ways to get you some of that action.

You may not have a clue as to what my meaning was, but if you send me $25 I’ll fill you in on a Zoom seminar.

jpclark7, January 17, 2021 at 9:20 pm

Someone pay the $25 and I’ll host a Zoom session (I’ll host and give you the meeting information).

mootsman, January 18, 2021 at 9:18 am

Someone pay the $25 and I’ll host a Zoom session (I’ll host and give you the meeting information).

You undercut my price. I was charging $25 per participant. All’s fair though.

KenH, January 19, 2021 at 10:09 am

The Register will undercut both of your prices, for anyone who is willing to wait. The announcement livestream itself is interesting enough to watch if it is free but it doesn’t command much of a price if it is pay for view since all the information will be available soon after for free. It has to be because registered riders have a need to know and have paid for it. Not having seen them I reserve judgement on how valuable the seminars are and therefore what price they might command. Mostly I view this as an act of charity towards the good folks at IBC. You two don’t strike me as people who are in need of my charity right now, sorry!

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015