RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

2022 Route?

Any ideas? I am guessing central Iowa, including Des Moines.

30 Replies

Chris, August 24, 2021 at 2:49 pm

OOOOOH…… now that would be a hell of a route: Start in Rock Rapids, Okaboji, Algona, Des Moines, Oskaloosa, Mount Pleasant, Davenport. For 2022, this is.

I’m game! DD is buying the first beer for me if I’m right :)

For 2021….Tim: Guttenburg was a disaster as far as we’re concerned. I’d like to not see them as an end town again. It’s a cute down, yes. The disaster they had with the cars/busses heading out of town up that monster hill at the same time the riders were coming in to town on the same route was one of the larger messes that I’ve seen.

See You In July,
-Chris

Jeff Hansen, August 24, 2021 at 9:01 pm

I like Chris route with a slight change Washington instead of Mount Pleasant Muscatine instead of Davenport

Bradley sutliff, August 25, 2021 at 5:30 pm

look new bridge in bettendorf,iowa next year for RAGBRAI.

Bruce Atkinson, September 4, 2021 at 6:10 am

I agree! Overnight in Tipton, with Eldridge as the meeting town. Bettendorf’s Leach Park, partially under the bridges, has a boat ramp for the tire dip.

jbloom, September 19, 2021 at 1:33 pm

Fun looking at the posts and remembering all the towns over the years. Haven’t done as many RAGBRAIs as some of you but enough for me. Guttenburg was a real mess for an end town- wife had to park nearly a mile outside of town and then cellphone/text coverage was nil. Dubuque had traffic snarled up on Hwy 20 for most of the day. And Burlington.. what fun doing Snake Alley and the ride ‘down’ to the river. But then you had to go back up those same hills to get to your gear and oh my… how cold were the showers at that school locker room? But it was all fun and I want to ride again no matter what towns it goes through

ThomasNye, October 15, 2021 at 3:18 pm

OK, so Indianola is implied unapologetically in the logo released today, so tag, what are the other 7 along the southwest to central to southeast 2022 route?

jelly0317, October 16, 2021 at 8:17 pm

Has an overnight ever repeated within three consecutive RAGBRAIs?

Tim Tysver, October 17, 2021 at 4:13 pm

If you go to the top under “The Ride” the left column has past overnight towns for all of the rides. I couldn’t find any with three but I may have missed something. Still think far north as 2019 ended in Keokuk and that’s about as far south as Iowa gets.

KenH, October 20, 2021 at 1:23 pm

Atlantic and Bellevue both were part of the 1989 and 1991 routes. No town has appeared two years in a row. However things that haven’t happened yet could happen this year and things that have happened frequently may not happen this year or ever again!

This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by KenH.

T. Gap Woo, October 20, 2021 at 8:06 pm

I love the logo for Ragbrai 49! It is not only colorful, but it also evokes the freedom one feels when soaring on your bike.

However, I think the jokesters at DMR are pranking us and pulling our collective legs (or are they yanking our chains? 🤪). When you think of hot air balloons, you automatically think of Indianola and their balloon festival. This marvelous red herring means, IMHO, that the Route will not go within 100 miles of Indianola! I’m guessing a route along the northernmost tier counties and ending in Harper’s Ferry. Of course, my crystal ball ain’t worth a darn.

See you along the I-O-Way next year.

KenH, October 25, 2021 at 3:44 pm

In the TJ years the pattern tended to be a regular cycle between north, south, and central. I don’t know that it was absolute or if that pattern may have predated TJ. TJ liked to prank us and to play his cards close to his chest. The tractor with 1973 on it was a huge clue however and many of us missed it. It established this notion that the logos always contained clues although that never seemed to be the case in subsequent years, IMO.

All things are new now however. DD has not had time to establish a pattern and the virus has blown everything up, everywhere. We haven’t had a route guessing contest since TJ left. Is that a result of the expected and then unexpected chaos that ensued or a change in procedure? Don’t know although we might find out in a few weeks! If there is no route guessing contest is there a need to be as secretive as TJ was? Is DD the prankster that TJ was or is he a different sort of bear? I think there are some known pranksters on his staff….

The route this year was a northern one or at least north of center. Like most people I am certain that one of the towns for RAGBRAI L will be Des Moines. Unless it isn’t! But going by the pattern we think we see in the spread-the-love-around-the-state route selection process a south of center route seems likely this year since L is likely to be a centrist route. Unless it isn’t! So, Indianola seems like a reasonable guess. Unless it isn’t! One way to prank people who have become suspicious of being pranked is to give them a HUGE clue that HAS to be a misdirect. Unless it isn’t!

As far as that crystal ball goes, what’s up with that? I thought you got that thing fixed a few years ago! Are good crystal ball repair shops becoming as rare as good radio/TV repair shops these days???

Budd, October 26, 2021 at 12:37 am

Maybe the route will follow something like this….
The train passed rapidly across the State of Iowa, by Council Bluffs, Des Moines, and Iowa City. During the night it crossed the Mississippi at Davenport, and by Rock Island entered Illinois. The next day, which was the 10th, at four o’clock in the evening, it reached Chicago, already risen from its ruins, and more proudly seated than ever on the borders of its beautiful Lake Michigan.

T. Gap Woo, October 26, 2021 at 8:12 am

KenH,

My crystal is on the fritz again. 😩. Something keeps shorting out, sparking and emitting an awful stench of smoke. The local electronics repair shop declared bankruptcy, as people found it cheaper to buy “new” technology rather than fix the “old” outdated technology. I haven’t found a suitable replacement for my crystal, so I’ll just use Granddaughter Woo’s Magic 8-Ball. It can’t hurt!

BTW, I have a concern about the designation for the upcoming Ragbrai as “XLIX” instead of “49”. The Roman numerals, when read as a “word”, sounds too much like “Ex-Lax” the chocolate laxative. I realize that this is a crappy stretch, but IMHO we should refer to “49” this year and return to the traditional Roman numerals for Ragbrai L next year.

See you along the I-O-Way next year.

KenH, October 26, 2021 at 3:00 pm

I disagree, a little XLIX could make the Kybo line move faster!

As they say on the old radio repair forum, nothing ever works right after you let the magic smoke out! The 8 ball will have to do for now.

I enjoyed Budd’s quote even if I don’t know where it’s from other than it must have been written some time after the great fire.

This reply was modified 1 month ago by KenH.

Kelly Brown, October 26, 2021 at 4:14 pm

Budd’s quote comes from Jules Verne’s “Around The World in Eighty Days” which is very apropos to this discussion and the 2022 theme and may very well be a clue as to potential cities.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI