RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

2023 Overnight Guesses

So, where do you think we are going in July? My prediction (as of 12/24 and subject to change): Sioux City, Storm Lake, Webster City, Ames, Des Moines, Grinnell, Coralville, Davenport.

22 Replies

direwolf, December 24, 2022 at 10:19 pm

Naw, they moved the whole deal to South Carolina, you know, to embrace “diversity”.

NHYardbird, December 25, 2022 at 10:37 am

I see something old with something new, the route will be the original route of ’73 with 2 nights spent in Des Moines, the extra day in Des Moines will be a century ride through Winterset. It is certainly a WAG…….

czysk, December 25, 2022 at 8:49 pm

I believe it will be Sioux City to Storm Lake It is a good possibility because Storm Lake was supposed to be an overnight town in 2020 the year it was canceled They declined in 2021, maybe because they knew they were going to be overnight for the 50th?

Tim Tysver, December 26, 2022 at 10:35 am

Sioux City-Storm Lake-Fort Dodge-Ames-DSM-Williamsburg-Iowa City-Davenport.

LawnchairMan, December 26, 2022 at 11:47 am

Hmmm . . . The original route in ’73 is a logical choice for the 50th Ragbrai, but there are problems with that.
This year we started in Sergeant Bluff, which is virtually Sioux City. Besides that, Sioux City, Storm Lake and Fort Dodge were done in 2015. Ames and Davenport were done just four years ago. I do think we are overdue for Des Moines, so I bet that’s on the 2023 route. Williamsburg was only done the first ride. Is it too small, or was there some reason they don’t want us back?
I haven’t completed my choices yet, but they start with:
Missouri Valley
Audubon
Perry
Des Moines
We haven’t been to these towns for eight years or more. I think they are due.
Still working on the rest.
Y’all have a Happy New Year!

stevecycles200, January 24, 2023 at 2:24 pm

Council Bluffs
Atlantic
Creston
Ankeny
Grinnell
Ottumwa
Muscatine
Davenport

dsdouin, January 24, 2023 at 3:22 pm

The original 1973 route except after Des Moines since it was a day less they will do about 150 miles, being a century and 50 on Thur and Fri before Davenport on Saturday.

LawnchairMan, January 24, 2023 at 6:58 pm

My full list:
Missouri Valley
Audubon
Perry
Des Moines
Marshalltown
Vinton
Monticello
Bellevue

It’s been several years since we have been to any of these.

direwolf, January 24, 2023 at 8:23 pm

Tom Cullen writes in the Storm Lake Times Pilot: “RAGBRAI will reportedly celebrate its 50th anniversary with an overnight stop in The City Beautiful in late July.”

T. Gap Woo, January 24, 2023 at 9:30 pm

My prior guesses in previous years have been wildly unsuccessful. The crystal ball was less than useful, in fact it was useless.Granddaughter Woo’s magic eight ball was no help either.

This year, I thought I’d try a new method. I used a dartboard. I put the Iowa map up on the wall and threw darts at it. I managed to hit two cities in Minnesota, two in Missouri, one in Nebraska, one in South Dakota and three in Illinois.All I got for my troubles was a holey map of Iowa and a bunch of holes in the drywall. Dang! It’s back to the old drawing board and hopefully better luck.

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

Ken Reed, January 25, 2023 at 7:47 am

I read that about Storm Lake too. I think that probably makes Sioux City to Storm Lake a lock.

Derek Eilderts, January 25, 2023 at 9:01 am

My best friends wife’s cousin’s step-daughter goes to school with Matt Phippen’s daughter. This is what she said, but don’t tell anybody:
R ock Valley
A lgona
G rundy Center
B oone
R edfield
A ltoona
I owa City
L e Claire

Brady Bisgard, January 26, 2023 at 10:21 am

Orange City
Okoboji
Storm Lake
Carroll
Des Moines
Grinnell
North Liberty
Davenport

Cole Epley, January 26, 2023 at 12:45 pm

Pretty plugged into things happening in Council Bluffs and it doesn’t sound like it’s starting here again this year. Not saying it’s a certain ‘no’ but I would be pleasantly surprised if so.
I’ve spent months scouring city council minutes from towns on the western border and the ONLY mention of RAGBRAI in any of them I’ve been able to find is this gem from Sioux City’s Nov. 14 meeting:
(Sioux City CVB director Kristi) Franz stated a strategic plan will be presented to land RAGBRAI for its 50th year. She has worked closely with Iowa Tourism, ensuring Siouxland’s place in its overall plan.
I like the certainty of that statement coupled with the recent mention in the Storm Lake paper—not to mention Storm Lake’s assumed desire to bounce back from having to bail on its most recent appointment as an overnight.
Time will tell—can’t wait to know for sure!

Danny Edens, January 26, 2023 at 1:48 pm

My 3 guesses that is probably isn’t, but is most likely not, but probably could be, but there’s a good chance could be.

Sioux City
Storm Lake
Fort Dodge
Ames
Des Moines
Williamsburg
Muscatine
Davenport

Sioux City
Storm Lake
Fort Dodge
Ames
Des Moines
Des Moines
Williamsburg
Davenport

Sioux City
Storm Lake
Fort Dodge
Ames
Des Moines
Grinnell
Coralville
Davenport

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI