The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

6:00 pm

Do you think that 6:oo PM is too soon to be in the overnight towns?

15 Replies

KenH, September 16, 2018 at 5:41 pm

I assume that you mean is 6pm too early to close the route? In that case I would say that an official closing time of 6pm is fine for most people. It does not really force you to be in town that early, you are still entitled to use the roads it is just that whether you have lights or not it becomes increasingly dangerous as dusk falls and fades into night. I understand that this is early by some folks reckoning but the people who staff the services and patrol the route should not be required to work later than 6pm, in my opinion. So if you are willing to ride without a net and eat/drink at the outlets that are normally open at the times and days you roll through the pass through towns you are welcome to keep riding and roll into the overnight town as late as you care to.

Most days. I do feel that the hours should be extended to 8pm on the Karras loop day. There are quite a few people who roll into town after 6pm those days and they really should be accommodated.

jwsknk, September 17, 2018 at 12:15 am

6 to 6 makes a 12 hour day for the service providers. Medics, highway patrol, sag wagon drivers. Days when the weather turns especially nasty they have extended hours to get people in. Century days it would be nice for a portion of those riders if the last half towns could stay open later. I don’t know how many, if any of the kybos get picked up and moved ahead of us overnight. Most days I do roll into the overnight around 6. Sometimes eating supper before heading to camp. Sometimes we have done super in the last town. If we get behind the saga and medics that last 10-15 miles we are willing to accept that fact that they are off the road for the day. And we are experienced enough to feel comfortable with it. This past year made it 36 ragbrais for me.

Bob Braigar, September 17, 2018 at 1:22 pm

According to ragbrai.com, “The service times encourage the riders to finish the daily route by 6:00 PM.” What I don’t appreciate is the armed police strongly suggesting that all riders leave town, that and local businesses are strongly encouraged to close their businesses for one hour. This seems quite heavy handed to me and leaves many standing around in the sun waiting for things to open back up. I do not expect support persons to work beyond 6pm. While I can appreciate safety concerns, we are talking about adults on public roads in a mostly free country.

This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Bob Braigar.

thangamalang, September 18, 2018 at 3:14 am

I see your point Bob. I also understand people in these Iowa towns need to clean things up and get back to normal, work, farm, family, t-ball, care for elderly and such. It’s not all about selfish riders registered or not.

KenH, September 18, 2018 at 7:57 am

Unfortunately our nation of free adults includes quite a few who will sue anyone and everyone if something bad happens even though it happened because of their own decisions or those of their late kinsmen! As a result the police have to enforce the event hours that they can properly serve to show that they have been duely diligent in the event of a lawsuit. And they have to enforce the hours with more than a token effort. It’s not a case of the police being jackbooted thugs, it is more of a case of all the event officials being fearful of jackbooted lawyers!

Larry Klaaren, September 18, 2018 at 8:09 am

My thoughts were similar. The original question was “Is 6 too early?” My thought is that no matter what time you set, some will straggle in later. So 6 pm gives about 2 1/2 hours before dark for those folks to get in. If the time was 8, someone would run late, get lost or get hit by a car, and say that the time allowed wasn’t reasonable and have a lawsuit.

This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Larry Klaaren.

Bob Braigar, September 19, 2018 at 5:35 pm

OK, keep the service times where they are, but stop telling the police to coerce people into leaving a town, and stop telling towns people to close their businesses for an hour. This is the way it has been done for the majority of years, when considering safety, seems to me that most accidents happen in the big crowds of congested early bikers.

Sexton, September 19, 2018 at 6:01 pm

Maybe they do, but there are first responder’s on duty at that time. After 6pm, they’ve gone off duty for a well deserved rest. Go ahead, take your time, leave town when you want, ride after 6pm without support, lets see how long it takes to find you when you dump your bike in a ditch. Please make sure you have I.D. and contact info for next of kin.

Bob Braigar, September 19, 2018 at 6:59 pm

Sexton, FYI, I,ve been on over 30 ragbrai. I ride a lot. Most of the time, not on ragbrai, and with no “support.”

mootsman, September 21, 2018 at 8:27 am

I wouldn’t think too much about a few towns being heavy handed. Always a way around that. A group from a team I use to go with purposely leaves very late to enjoy wide open roads with few other riders. And as far as beer stops they like “ditch drinkin”. Buying a convenience store 18 pack and drinking it while relaxing in a ditch somewhere. Of course they all have great lighting systems on their bikes as they are known to get in between 11pm and 2:30am. But they are respectfully quiet. So make RAGBRAI what you want and ignore the few trying to be rule bullies.

Being an early bird rider I actually rarely would see the late night group during the week. I’d be asleep when they get in and leave before they get up. I’d only see them on the team bus.But a great group all the same

This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  mootsman.

CRtaxman, September 21, 2018 at 4:20 pm

Do I think that 6:oo PM is too soon to be in the overnight towns?

No.

mootsman, September 22, 2018 at 6:06 pm

From the complaints about no vendors outside of towns on the first day to this. There seems to be a small group of RAGBRAIers who want the event to change to suit them. Instead, learn to enjoy RAGBRAI the as is. Actually, you might find adapting to RAGBRAI will take you out of your comfort zone and teach you something about how to enjoy a fun event.

#RAGBRAIDontCare

Dizzy, September 23, 2018 at 11:40 am

Do I think that 6:oo PM is too soon to be in the overnight towns?

No.

annabel parker, October 1, 2018 at 1:43 am

this post is containing much useful stuff that helped me a lot Seiko Discount Coupons thank you for this informative blog that you have shared with the public

This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  annabel parker.

James Lord, October 7, 2018 at 9:21 pm

6:00 might be too late in some of the smaller overnight towns if you are using the baggage truck and looking for a good camping spot. I never understood the shutting down the town for an hour thing. Shutting down bars is one thing, but places selling food and drinks is wrong. Ragbrai is only a small part of the riding I do every year. I’m more than capable of finding my way from point A to B without support.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013