60yr+ riders

OK I’m 73, in pretty good shape, gym workout 3-4 times a week. Will be riding RAGBRAI for the first time. I’ve got about 3 months to get ready. I can comfortably ride 25-30 miles nonstop. But RAGBRAI is whole nother ball game. So I/m looking for good advice about building stamina and endurance. Right now 60m /day seems daunting but I’m commited to being there so I’m in it no matter what.
a great adventure to be sure.

30 Replies

Toady, July 2, 2011 at 11:45 am

I am 63 and the only advice I would give you is to pace yourself.  Remember you have to do this for 7 straight days.  Don’t get excited the first day and try to race everyone to the overnight town.  I stupidly did that once and it took a few days to recover.  Take your time. Stop a lot. Enjoy the pass-through towns and the people, and you will be fine.  After all, that’s really what RAGBRAI is all about.

knees36, July 2, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Welcome to the old folks genre.  I just turned 75 yesterday and this will be my 31st RAG.  We are in the definite minority when it comes to the percentage of riders biking across Iowa, but, by and large, we represent our age group very, very well.  Take your time on the ride, you don’t have to keep up with anyone, rest frequently and follow the old rule…drink before you’re thirsty and eat before you’re hungry.  There’s always lots of action and scenery on the ride…and as Harry Smith, reporter for one of the television news broadcast companies (who once rode RAG for a few days and reported on it said), “The scenery in Iowa changes constantly, sometimes the corn is on the right and sometimes it’s on the left.”  Happy trails to you and glad to have you aboard!!!  Cheers.

pHIlo, July 3, 2011 at 11:58 am

knees36 said: Welcome to the old folks genre.  I just turned 75 yesterday and this will be my 31st RAG.  

Many Happy Returns Knees!

Michrider !!!, July 3, 2011 at 1:09 pm

pHIlo said: knees36 said: Welcome to the old folks genre.  I just turned 75 yesterday and this will be my 31st RAG.  

Many Happy Returns Knees!

Knees, Happy belated Birthday!!!

AnnG, July 3, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Happy Belated Birthday Knees! 

About age, many of you may remember seeing Lucy (see below in orange) during the last few RAGBRAIs.  For the past couple of years, she reported her age in a rhyme on a sign attached to her bike seat.  I think last year it went something like, “Wheee!  I’m 83.” 

Sandaltan ., July 3, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Happy birthday up there in Webster County Knees!!!

RIDE RIGHT

Michrider !!!, July 3, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Those are good looking women!!!!!

AnnG, July 3, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Mich, I know!  I’m really impressed by her doing RAGBRAI at 83.  I’m pretty sure that I’m going to quit long before then.

knees36, July 3, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Thanks so much for the birthday wishes.  I wasn’t sure  I would make it this far, but~~~knock on wood~~~my general health is still very good considering what could be going wrong, so  I hope to just keep on riding, maybe until  I’m 80 or so.  And  I saw Lucy several times on the ride last year.  She looks just like my mom…when Mom was in her 80’s.  I didn’t really want to walk up to Lucy and say THAT to her,  so  I just kept my mouth shut.  But  I’ll look for her this year and congratulate her on her RAG riding.  She  seems like a real neat person!!!  Cheers.

tiki, July 4, 2011 at 12:12 am

Mich knows a good looking woman, in fact, he insists upon seeing good looking women wherever he goes.

Hats off Man !!!!

Michrider !!!, July 4, 2011 at 5:24 am

tiki said: Mich knows a good looking woman, in fact, he insists upon seeing good looking women wherever he goes.

Hats off Man !!!!

You got me figured out, cold beer and hot women!!!!!!

KittySlayer, July 5, 2011 at 6:36 am

indianafrank said: Diet will play an important part in recovery. Be sure to eat bananas or cantaloupe each day. They will supercharge you. Also eat lots of pasta and protein.

As you finish each day start eating for tomorrow. Get yourself some recovery drink as soon as you get off the bike before setting up your tent. Chocolate milk is good but hard to pack in the sun, I use a powder mix of protien powder and maltodextrine. Even just chow down on an energy bar and drink lots of water. There is a half hour window when you step off your bike at the end of the day that your body will absorb any good stuff you can force down your throat.

Lay on your back and get your legs up in the air for a while. Rest and recover after the ride. THere will be plenty of time to set up a tent in a hot field later.

Recovery is the most challenging part of a weeklong ride, not the distance. Do not discount adequate butt time in the saddle for training but use diet and rest to make the next day enjoyable.

bikeron, July 5, 2011 at 2:47 pm

As the “youngsters” are all saying, just enjoy yourself, you will be finding your way back next year.  I am on RAGBRAI No. 6, after saying I would never do that… I am 71, had both Knees replaced and am a 9.5 year survivor of a 90% cancer killer, Life is indeed fun and good, If it wasn’t for beer though, I just wouldn’t ride.  Have fun and don’t worry.

tedgruver, July 7, 2011 at 2:06 pm

This is my first 62 years old and riding a couple days with my 19 year old grandaughter, We are driving from Az. Hope we have trained enough. Ride 100 miles some weeks. Do 25 miles pretty easy. When its 112 here have to use exercize bike

sestrain, July 7, 2011 at 3:31 pm

tedgruver said: This is my first 62 years old and riding a couple days with my 19 year old grandaughter, We are driving from Az. Hope we have trained enough. Ride 100 miles some weeks. Do 25 miles pretty easy. When its 112 here have to use exercize bike

62 myself and have lived in Arizona for 14 years.  I can take 105 degrees when I’m riding in the desert up by Kingman, but I tried riding down in Phoenix when it was 115.  It was bad.  I think all of the concrete radiates the heat right at you.  I’d be at the gym, too.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI