RAGBRAI LI July 20 -27, 2024

A Route suggestion…

It’s high time to start in Missouri Valley and end in Keokuk. Looking at a current Iowa map it may be difficult to end in Keokuk anymore due to lack of roads that are lightly travelled. Also, I’d like to see RAGBRAI pass through my old hometown of Woodbine in western Iowa. Lots of train traffic and then highway traffic (US #30), though, getting out of town and on to a county road heading east. We’ll see someday, perhaps, if that problem can be overcome. Cheers.

41 Replies

rjjensenia, October 27, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Hawarden
Sibley
Estherville
Algona
Northwood
New Hampton
Waukon
McGregor

Fatih21, October 28, 2015 at 2:14 am

someday they should have a “Submit the route” contest. where people submit the entire route in as much detail as possible and the choose one to do.

Pirate Brewer, October 29, 2015 at 8:55 pm

I suggested this a few years ago. It would be nice to have an overnight town on the Mississippi River. That would mean crossing the state, over-night at one Mississippi town on Friday, then Saturday follow a route along the Mississippi to the ending town on the river. Something different.

SFC JKL 2, November 1, 2015 at 7:47 am

I’m with pirate. I would like to see a river route on the last day. Muscatine to Davenport would have been perfect last year.

Iceman, November 2, 2015 at 9:56 am

SFC – the Muscatine/Davenport might actually work, although I would prefer the rest day/loop ride in Des Moines. I’ve always thought the east border towns (i.e., the end towns) got a raw deal financially in comparison to the start towns on the western border of Iowa (which is one of several reasons why I would really like to see an east to west route, which the DMR opposes).

If – as you suggest – you had some rides that overnighted in a Mississippi River town and then ended the next day in another Mississippi River town, perhaps the eastern border towns could occasionally benefit more that they have in the past.

jwsknk, November 2, 2015 at 10:04 am

How about this last day, overnight in Waukon, past Effigy Mounds, use Marquette/McGregor as meeting town, end in Guttenberg. Half the day along the Mississippi and a bunch would probably end at m/m

Iceman, November 2, 2015 at 10:07 am

No Skunk, the charters would never go for anything but one definitive ending spot.

jwsknk, November 2, 2015 at 2:59 pm

the charters wouldn’t but I bet a lot of team busses would “unofficially” load up there, some people don’t do the last day now because of the end town cluster and mileage, they feel rushed through that last day and just don’t enjoy it as much.

Iceman, November 2, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Regardless, Skunk, that “two stops on the Mississippi” route might be a route of which the DMR would approve. They are so worried about changing any “traditions.”

If I were the DMR, I’d be more concerned about the financial benefit (or lack of benefit) to the towns on the Mississippi which in the past have only gotten to act as end towns. I’m sure they get some benefit from being an end town, but I would never believe they would benefit as much as they would as a start town or an over-night town.

Iceman, November 2, 2015 at 4:19 pm

If the 2016 logo (as set forth on the RAGBRAI website) is “It’s time to take a break”, then having a rest day with two nights camping in the same town fits perfectly. Makes perfect sense.

jake d, November 2, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Iceman this is your lucky day. Not only will we have 2 overnights on the Mississippi, that is where we will start and finish. In addition, 1/2 of the route will be East to West. How do I know?
I couldn’t help but notice that the hammock in the logo looks just like a boomerang, so this must be the plan.
Afterall, “ALL” of the route clues from last years logo were spot on.

KenH, November 3, 2015 at 7:59 am

You could combine the two ideas of having a rest town and a Mississippi River overnight town with the boomerang observation. Maybe we will roll into the end town on Friday, overnight there, do a loop on Saturday that ends where we started, and then dip our wheels!

Iceman, November 3, 2015 at 8:26 am

Yes, Ken, that would make sense. Could it happen? Only the DMR braintrust knows.

rjjensenia, November 3, 2015 at 10:18 am

That would also make the exist from the river town a bit easier, since many would leave (though certainly not all) on Friday. It would also give the ending town a nice influx of capital, that it usually misses out on.

I am almost sure this is not what the hint refers to, but can any body think of any towns in Iowa with the word “rest in thier name?

rjjensenia, November 3, 2015 at 10:19 am

One down side to the idea, imagine what it would do to the partying on Friday night!!! Yowsa!!!

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters