RAGBRAI LI July 20 -27, 2024

A Route suggestion…

It’s high time to start in Missouri Valley and end in Keokuk. Looking at a current Iowa map it may be difficult to end in Keokuk anymore due to lack of roads that are lightly travelled. Also, I’d like to see RAGBRAI pass through my old hometown of Woodbine in western Iowa. Lots of train traffic and then highway traffic (US #30), though, getting out of town and on to a county road heading east. We’ll see someday, perhaps, if that problem can be overcome. Cheers.

41 Replies

jwsknk, November 3, 2015 at 11:54 am

Creston

jwsknk, November 3, 2015 at 11:58 am

Maybe the “rest” and “V” works with Missouri Valley, Atlantic, Creston, Leon, Centerville, Ottumwa, Washington, Muscatine

“Bicycle Bill”, November 3, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Creston — which has been an overnight city in years past
Forest City — ditto.
Preston — which I’m pretty sure has been a pass-through town on a couple of occasions.

-“BB”-

jwsknk, November 3, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Forest City? Rest, Wheel trees?, and yes, Preston was a town on the way to Clinton

CyclingCyclone, November 3, 2015 at 3:44 pm

IMO, No rest day. We have 358 other days of the year to rest.
No optional out and back loop on a “rest day” for that matter.
Mandatory Century Day.
If needed make the day after the century a short day like we did in 2014.
End in the NE corner of Iowa.
I do like the idea of Friday night on the Mississippi river then travel to the end town up or down river.

In the end, I’ll ride wherever the RAGBRAI arrows point to.

Iceman, November 3, 2015 at 4:38 pm

I guess “rest day” is a misnomer. It’s just a day when you don’t have to pack up your tent and gear and move. And if you want to ride, you ride. Sounds good to me.

KenH, November 3, 2015 at 8:39 pm

I mentioned this in the logo announcement thread too but the V shaped hammock sticks out when I look at the new logo. Last year the number 1973 was featured in the logo which we eventually learned gave away the start and end towns. They would not do that again, would they? Or maybe they would if they were more subtle about it, trying to sneak one through right under our noses?! Perhaps then the V shaped hammock represents RAGBRAI V, start in Onawa and end in Lansing. Others have looked at the logo and made the association between the trees and FoREST City. Someone else noticed that a chamber of commerce official or something like that from Orange City commented on the new logo. Suspicious, eh? Both of those towns could be on an Onawa to Lansing route. During RAGBRAI V the ride was only 380 miles which would generate “too short, too easy” complaints like in 2013. And Lansing is a bit small for an end town since the end town is the focus of all those cars and buses and bicycles. The traffic, oh the traffic!

But what if we did pull into Lansing on Friday? Doing 380 miles in six days is certainly feasible and decently challenging. Friday night some of us would apparently party hard while others would dip and leave. Saturday we could do a loop with some of us starting late due to, you know, Friday night and some would bag it and just leave early. So we would have the “rest” day, give Lansing a better shot at making some decent return on their efforts and spread out the end town traffic mess over a day and a half instead of half a day. This may not be even close to next year’s route but between us all we are turning it into a decent idea. Someone at the DMR should be taking notes….

On the other hand the pyramid shaped tent does evoke a cemetery in a small town outside of Ottumwa and the three spoked and geared wheels suggest 19th century, early 20th century industry and ag equipment to my mind. Mt Pleasant may not be the only town in Iowa to have one but they do have Steam Thresher days every year. And it is time for a southern route….

Isn’t this fun?!

swiifg, November 4, 2015 at 10:42 am

As long as we’re guessing – my guess is a repeat of sorts of the 1989 route (veiled reference to 1989 in the Taylor Swift facebook post a while back). That year started in Glenwood, dipped south going through Clarinda then turned north and east, ending in the northeast part of the state, going through Dyersville (home of Ertl, for what it’s worth) and ending in Bellevue. Was a 480 mile ride with lots of hills, 20,000+ feet of climb. That route or something similar would resemble a boomerang and require rest stops along the way.

Jboz, November 7, 2015 at 8:11 am

The “Take a Break” theme clearly means that it’s going to be an easy route. I’ve read some suggestions that the “Take a Break” theme could somehow infer a long and difficult route, because…you know…riders would need to rest quite a bit on a challenging route. I think that’s wishful thinking on the part of purists who want a grueling route.

The Register has done the math, and know that the easier the route, the greater the financial boon to the local communities. A short, easy route will attract more people, including families. A 520 mile route might delight the hard-core folks, but it would scare away thousands of riders. And short routes means more time for riders to relax (and spend money) in the pass-thru towns. And when riders finish a 60 miler and have another 60 miler to look forward to the next day, they are far more likely to hang out, eat, drink, party, have fun and SPEND MONEY in the overnight town, than if they are in between two 90 milers.

To satisfy the more challenge oriented hard-core folks, I think the Register should consider adding an additional Century Day. Heck, throw in a metric double century for those brave souls.

Think easy, flat short ride in 2016. And the “V” shaped hammock, certainly does suggest as others have noted, a route similar to RAGBRAI V…an easy, flat route.

Iceman, November 8, 2015 at 2:06 pm

Jboz, I agree with your analysis but in practice the concern for the financial benefit to certain communities has not always been (at least in my opinion) the primary motivation of RAGBRAI. I don’t think it has been intentional on the part of the DMR – they are good people – but I think they worry quite a bit about the effect of any change on the long term prestige of the ride and that sometimes leads to some curious decisions.

tjdale57, November 14, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Don’t have a clue where the route will go but I think Bellevue is over due for the end town.

I agree the shorter the ride the greater the participation rate and $ benefit to the towns. But would love to see a longer route crossing diagonally.

Viewing 11 replies - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters