RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

Advice on packing?

I have ridden RAGBRAI several times before, but always with my family. My mom and sisters drive support and my dad and I ride. Now I am married and my family is not interested. My wife and I are riding with a team for the first time. I have seen that some people pack Rubbermaid totes with their things for the week to help keep their clothing dry. Is this how many of you prefer to pack? Also, can people list the various items they can’t live without during the week? Any other packing tips? Anything helps as I tend to be forgetful when I pack… Thanks!

34 Replies

Michrider !!!, June 6, 2012 at 11:41 am

Drew, you may want to check out PBV’s “suggested packing list”!
http://pkbelly.com/specificsTopicsDetails.php?id=11

jwsknk, June 6, 2012 at 11:41 am

we dislike them for loading on the truck. they don’t pack well except for on the bottom layer. then people walk over them to thow their bag up on the pile in the front of the truck.

Tony, June 6, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Do not bring totes or tubes. RAGBRAI and charters request soft side duffel bags. RAGBRAI limits you to one 50# bag. Our charter limits you to two 40# bags. Hard case baggage will at some point crack and or break open. Our charter will not except hard case baggage period. Smaller teams may allow totes. Check with your team. But in any case, I highly suggest a water resistant duffel bag. Pack light as possible. Don’t worry if you forget something. All the host towns have dept stores. Your biggest concern is keeping your gear dry. Iowa is humid in the summer. It will rain on this ride at some point. Pack EVERYTHING in plastic bags. This also helps you organize your gear. Pack individual bags with clothes for the day. Try to keep liquid items such as mouth wash and tooth paste double bagged. Pack them in the center of your bag. Even though you are together with your wife. Pack individual bags to keep your gear organized. Put ID’s on all your bags. Bags can tend to look all a like in a mass pile. Put some kind of distinctive marking on your bag. Something as simple as neon colored duck tape stripe. Can make a bag stand out.

Zinger, June 6, 2012 at 5:04 pm

My team has us all get the same size Sterilite tote, and they stack magnificently in the bus. I’ve used the same one for almost 10 years without any problems. I use gallon ziplocs and grocery sacks to organize clothing within the tote. Works like a charm!

Michrider !!!, June 6, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Zinger:
My team has us all get the same size Sterilite tote, and they stack magnificently in the bus. I’ve used the same one for almost 10 years without any problems. I use gallon ziplocs and grocery sacks to organize clothing within the tote. Works like a charm!

How did we ever survive without zip lock bags? Some of my RAGBRAI zip locks are so old I have to use tape (blue painter’s tape) to seal them, LOL!!!!!! Zinger, your I hope to see you again this year. It’s been a few years since we shared beverages!!!!!

verylastrider, June 6, 2012 at 9:38 pm

You mentioned you were riding with a team. Best bet, is to get with the team captian and see what they prefer. Our team all uus 36 gallon tubs, they work fine for us.

TGIMerv, June 6, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Zinger: My team has us all get the same size Sterilite tote, and they stack magnificently in the bus. I’ve used the same one for almost 10 years without any problems. I use gallon ziplocs and grocery sacks to organize clothing within the tote. Works like a charm!

Our team uses them too. 30 gallon ones I believe.

Michael Knapp, June 6, 2012 at 11:48 pm

No hair blowers, curling irons, make up kits. Not needed, RAGBRAI no place for a Madonna. Just bring your basic toiletry articles.

The less you pack the better. Invest in 2 to 3 cycling shorts and jerseys to ride the week in. 2 pair shorts with liners (no underwear needed) and 1 t-shirt per day for after ride and shower. T- shirts double as a night shirt/PJ. Camp towel (like a big auto chamey). Clean socks for each day. Sandals to wear at night/in showers, etc. Long t-shirt & hoodie for if it gets cold. Cap or visor.

I can get my personal kit down to a large backpack, plus tent/mattress for our team support vehicle to carry. Have a ditty bag for dirty clothes that lashes on to my back back. or stores in inside compartment of backback.

Zip lock bags are god’s companion to duck tape. Put your day’s change of clothes in separate zip locks. Easy to find in the dark and pull out to take to showers. Can reuse on dirty clothes to help contain odor build up during the week.

cubbies1945, June 7, 2012 at 12:52 am

Well, my team allows everyone to bring two rubbermaid tubs. I guess they are handy because they are somewhat, though not compleatly waterproof. Mostly it’s just because they pack well. Our U Haul drivers know how to pack them well, and they pack them vertically before they start a new row. Mostly, you can throw just about anything in them. That’s what I like. I also like that for the first few days they can be very organized. But like everything, they get disorganized pretty fast on RAGBRAI.

Zinger, June 7, 2012 at 11:59 am

Michrider: How did we ever survive without zip lock bags?Some of my RAGBRAI zip locks are so old I have to use tape (blue painter’s tape) to seal them, LOL!!!!!!Zinger, your I hope to see you again this year. It’s been a few years since we shared beverages!!!!!

I think the last time was in Manchester a couple years ago. I couldn’t ever catch up with you last year!! You’ll just have to leave later or ride slower one day this year. You’re also more than welcome to stop by the house for breakfast when leaving Cedar Rapids on Friday.

jwsknk, June 7, 2012 at 12:48 pm

smaller teams might be able to make everyong use the same brand tub, but with 120, and they are not the same 120 every year, it would be like hearding, as they say, cats. In our case black & white ones.And someone would be sure to raise a stink about it. Soft bags are a lot easir to pitch and fill in those odd spaces between things in the back of the truck. And 1 year, we had a couple want to just leave their bins on the truck because they were too heavy and took up too much space in their tent. After a couple of days, everything left on the truck overnight got pushed up to the front because people were tired of having to step over it and work around it. When they finally got and and ready to pack, guess where their bins were, under a lot of other bags they had to move and put back.

Sandaltan ., June 7, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I always have a small pinch light or tiny single cell flashlight hanging around my neck or in my pocket when I leave “my house” and head for dinner and/or the beer garden. I just like to have a little light when I walk into a pitch dark Kybe in the evening.

RIDE RIGHT

Iceman, June 7, 2012 at 2:41 pm

In bike case (if you ship by airplane or by FedEx, UPS).
1. Bike (duh).
2. Small bike tool, four CO2 cartridges or frame pump, two extra tubes, chain lube (double baggie the lube with the CO2 and tubes). Airlines will not allow CO2 to be shipped in airline in either checked baggage or carryon baggage.
3. Bike water bottles.
4. Small (extra) sun screen; use small mountain carabiner or key ring to hang off bike seat bag. Throw in some extra (durable & sealable) sandwich size baggies and a couple of 2 gallon size baggies.

Airplane carry on bag.
5. Cell phone & charger.
6. Prescription meds (double bag for carrying in duffle during the week).
7. Miners headlight for use in tent, etc. for tasks requiring free use of both hands.
8. Reading glasses.
9. Camera (in baggie for later carry in jersey pocket).
10. Durable small baggie or personal plastic carry case (size of cigarette pack) to carry cash, credit card, drivers license, insurance card etc. in jersey pocket. RAGBRAI credentials in baggie; cell phone in durable baggie to carry in jersey pocket.
11. Bike sunglasses.

Duffle Bag (note: do a test pack for duffle bag or bags; for ease of travel, put into the bike case anything that otherwise has to go in the duffle if it will fit – remember to put in baggies to prevent getting greasy).
12. Extra flashlight (small).
13. Tent fan; one set (only) extra batteries for fan.
14. Pillow.
15. Bike shoes & helmet. Rain cape and/or riding jacket.
16. Arm/leg warmers, 4 sweat bands/head rags in baggie. 1 chamois towel.
17. Sleeping bag insert (no need for full sleeping bag); sheet. Air mattress or Thermarest.
18. Bike clothes (in 2 gallon sealable baggie): bike shorts; jerseys; socks; head sweat/do rags; gloves. Need four complete sets unless you wash yours nightly.
19. “Evening” Baggie: liquid camp soap for shower – double bagged; deodorant; comb; bug repellant. 18 year old Scotch & several Partagas Serie D robustos.
20. “Morning” Baggie: chamois lube, sun screen, toothpaste/brush, baby wipes (either put one or two wipes in single, sealable sandwich baggies prior to trip or carry singularly wrapped wipes – carry daily in jersey pocket),; u/v lip balm; ointment; advil.
21. Street clothes (in 2 gallon sealable baggie to protect against rain): 2 pair walking shorts; hat; 4 t shirts; sandals; underwear.
22. Clothes pins & cotton cord to hang drying clothes, damp sleeping gear, etc.

Second duffle if you take your own tent (& if you cannot fit it in duffle #1). Better alternative is to carry tent in large open mesh, nylon carry bag during the week. Your tent will be wet each morning and the open mesh allows the tent to dry during the day.

Sandaltan ., June 7, 2012 at 7:31 pm

This is not the Iceman’s first bike trip.

RIDE RIGHT (No sleepmask?)

Iceman, June 7, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Sandaltan:
This is not the Iceman’s first bike trip.

RIDE RIGHT (No sleepmask?)

No, it is not my first ride. Find me under the PBV tent and we’ll enjoy a nice Cuban robusto, my fine friend.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI