Registration is open for RAGBRAI L!

Aftershokz

Hi everybody,
I got a set of Aftershokz about a month ago so I could answer my phone while riding my bike. I am having a problem with the loop that connects the right and left “ear” pieces. The loop goes behind the neck and since I ride a recumbent bicycle, the loop bumps against my headrest and pushes the headset forwards.

For warm weather, I put velcro on the loop and on my helmet to keep it tucked out of the way, but for Winter riding it is hard to manage under my Balaklava. Another problem with cold-weather riding is that I can’t feel the answer button with my gloves on. Does anyone have a suggestion? Does anyone else use these?

Other than these problems the Aftershokz works really well. The sound is clear and they don’t go into my ear canal so I can still hear ambient sounds. The device works on bone sound transfer. If I can get past the problems mentioned I will be more secure. Besides allowing my wife to call me, I can call the last person I called. So if I crash and can’t get to my phone I can just use the Aftershokz.

4 Replies

Larry Klaaren, December 16, 2021 at 5:25 pm

I have a similar problem when I am running, especially if I have on a hoodie . The loop pushes against the hoodie. I am not a big person and I would like to make the loop smaller, but I don’t think that happens. I really like them though for the same reasons, although I don’t answer the phone when I am running or riding. My wife, kids and siblings have distinctive rings, if they call I will stop and talk, but that’s the way I do it.

LawnchairMan, December 16, 2021 at 6:54 pm

Hi Larry,
Thanks for your comment. I think I have solved the problem for riding. I was able to tuck the earpieces around plastic hoops inside my helmet. With the velcro I mentioned, the Aftershokz will stay attached to my helmet. It is out of the way and won’t fall. I still need to confirm that I can hear it outside my Balaclava, but I think it will work.
I don’t know what to do with your hoodie issue. I’ve written to the Aftershokz people, so if they have a solution I will pass it on to you.

LawnchairMan, December 17, 2021 at 8:24 pm

Larry,
I got no help from the Aftershokz people. This is what they replied:
“Apologies, our headphones loop/band are not adjustable. We welcome and value your feedback. We will consider your suggestion on our future models. Learning about our customer’s experience helps us to continue developing and improving our services, so we appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences with us.”
Sorry that it doesn’t help your hoodie issue.

I rode today and found that the device works fine outside of my Balaklava; I can hear fine. If it were my hoodie I would sew non-tape Velcro to the outside of the hoodie and attach the Aftershokz that way. I think it would work. Thinking about it more, there are self-sticking Velcro or similar products that you could sew to your hoodie. Sewn in the middle, the ends could wrap around the Aftershokz near the earpiece and stick to themselves. You wouldn’t need to put Velcro on the Aftershokz at all.

I forgot to mention that Aftershokz will play music from your phone too. I don’t intend to do that, but it’s a way to ride with music and not bother other riders.

This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by LawnchairMan.

Larry Klaaren, December 18, 2021 at 9:16 am

All I use if for is to play podcasts and the occasional sports event, as I said, I don’t answer the phone unless it is my wife or kids. I put the phone on “Do Not Disturb” and it won’t let any body but my wife or kids call through. Everybody else can wait 90 minutes or whatever.

This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by Larry Klaaren.

This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by Larry Klaaren.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI