Registration is now closed for RAGBRAI XLIX. Transfers are now open!

All The Rainy Days of Recent Years

2015:
Day 2: Rain started early in the morning in Storm Lake. It was kind of cold and looked bad. Poor choice if you started early. I get out at 8:30 and the rain stopped before I reached the first town.
Day 4: Heavy and very cold rain in the middle of the day. Fortunately, majority of our group were just a quarter mile away from the meeting down Vinton. We gathered by our bus, put on extra laye of jacket and waithed the rain passed.

2016:
Day 2: Only a quick and short shower late afternoon when most of riders were already in overnight town Creston.

2017:
Day 4: The heaviest downpour I experience on RAGBRAI. t was in the morning. I was racing against the coming rain. Fortunately, I reached the town Rockwell when the downpour started. I just drank a couple of beer in the Legion’s Hall and waited the rain over.

2018:
Day 4: Overnight at Newton. The thunder and strong wind were scary. Our driver told us to get into our tents to use our body to hold our tents.

2019:
Day 1: The early morning rain in Council Bluff made the start of the week look bad. But it wasn’t too bad. By the time we reached the meeting town, I was able to take off my wet jersey shorts. And the second half to overnight town was a short one? I remember I just ride with my un-padded swimming trunks.

2021:
Day 6: A light show or mist in the evening in overnight town DeWitt.

9 Replies

bmyoungberg, January 15, 2022 at 4:27 pm

Good summary.

2016 it was Shenandoah rather than Creston. We also just missed a big storm the last evening in Washington. Dark and lightning just north all evening.

2017 I was past Rockwell, but just kept going in that rain (no gear) as I was on a straight and flat spot. Many left Clear Lake extra early that morning as it was forecasted for early afternoon.

2018 also a surprise spot shower in Jefferson in early evening but you may have not been in it as it seemed localized as the sun was out the whole time. Poured for five minutes and nothing else. I sat in my tent in Newton as I saw it coming at dusk. I’m used to quick thunderstorms like that so didn’t bother me much I guess. Sat inside the tent and read. Remember teens riding through the main campground on golf carts telling people to go to the high school a mile away. A little late as wind and rain was already starting to pick up.

Last year we could have used some rain for relief the middle days.

I just hope we keep avoiding the rare lengthy rain that messes up the whole day.

This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by bmyoungberg.

Niles, January 15, 2022 at 5:04 pm

Thank for your correction of 2016. It’s exactly the only day I wasn’t 100% sure. I only remember I actually arrived the town center when the rain started. And it was warm and the sun was still shining. The rain stopped when I get out of the shower place (was it a school or community center in the middle of the town?).

CyclingCyclone, January 16, 2022 at 11:44 am

Not really recent, but back in 2000 out of Ankeny, that morning it was raining so hard my friend paraphrased what Forrest Gump said about rain. it was literally raining sideways that morning.
A few years later in Chariton the morning of the century day we had a pretty strong storm with hail that came down right before sun up. Once it passed and we were on the road, for a pretty good stretch of miles the ditches were covered in hail -looked like snow actually, but the roads were clear.

Robert Grimes, January 16, 2022 at 1:36 pm

I have breathable biking rain jacket. I always pack it and it stays packed most of the time. I really only wear it when I’m done biking and cleaned up.
While riding in the rain I get wet and dry out when and if the rain stops.
If it’s so cool that the rain would create misery; I don’t ride. Maintenance, checking out routes, commenting on Bike blogs, etc. fill my time. Guess what the weather is like in Nashville today?

Rob Fuller, January 21, 2022 at 10:15 am

In 2021 the nightly dew fall soaked everything just like a rain. Rain, dew, or sweat, get ready to be wet.

jeffreydennis, January 21, 2022 at 8:01 pm

2010 Waterloo-Manchester. Rained the whole freaking way from underway to 5 miles out of Manchester. Cool part was our camp site way across the street from my grandparents old house

Dueywife, January 26, 2022 at 4:44 pm

2013, Perry storm blew through canceling Hairball for the night.
2014, Waverly stormed in the morning and lots of people got caught on the route in the worst of it. We stayed in the tent watching the radar until it was all clear.
2015, Day 4 I remember rolling in the rain with squishy socks…I’ve since switched to sandals so no more squishy toes.
2017, storms were a comin’ and we got a rollin’ early and fast out of Clear Lake. Some of our teammates got caught in the storm, the rest of us made it to the Oasis before it caught us, so we grabbed some beers and hung out under the canopies watching riders go by.
2018, Newton, I remember my husband working out of our host’s garage that night trying to rebuild a server back home that had given up its ghost, with no power.
2019, Council Bluffs was a rainy start but it wasn’t cold.

Joe Chavis, April 2, 2022 at 6:07 am

I would list all the rainy, rain hail, tornado, windy, wind, coldy, cold, hoty, hot days – since 1996… but IF I could remember them all… I’d probably nebba ebba, ride the ridey, ride again.

HelenP, April 2, 2022 at 2:56 pm

What fools we mortals be! ;-)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI